Am/Fm radio Help

-

Tawny Demon

Reaction score
hi, I recently got an AM/ FM radio for my '71 Dodge Demon. I installed it and it doesn't work and I am wondering if it is possible to diagnose the issue before sending it out to be fixed based on the symptoms. AM does not produce any sound regardless of volume level. FM produces static with some fluctuations as flipping through stations, volume works normally. any ideas? thanks in advance

when trying to tune it does the indicator needle move? the old chysler radios had a thin piece of wire on rollers to move the station and if it broke the station wouldn't change...

did you try a different antenna and speaker, doesn't have to be hooked into the car, just sit it there to test the radio, there is also a trimmer screw on the back; if you got the radio from another member in another state it may need to be adjusted

it still has the AM telescoping antennae and cable that are new from Year One. I did try it with different speakers (no results) the problem persisted . what is a trimmer screw? where is it located? etc. I bought it from Alabama on ebay

Make sure the bottom side of the fender is clean where the c clamp fits against the underside, and also make sure your chrome bezel nut is tight on top of the fender. That is a ground area. Is your antenna mast screwed on tight?

I would try a different antenna. The connector has a long male end

DIN%20%28M%29.jpg

So if you can get a scrap length of wire 6--10 ft long into that center part of the connector, you should hear static and noise in the AM, and stations if tuned in

FM normally makes white noise whether there's an antenna or not. Most "home" receivers are muted between stations, but I don't believe any of the old car radios were.

I adjusted the trimmer screws but it didn't make a difference. while it was turned on, I unplugged and replugged in the antennae cable into the radio while it was on FM, it did not change anything, still constant white noise. would a bad ground at the antennae cause this?

What we are trying to say is TRY A DIFFERENT antenna, or a piece of wire.

If the old antennal cable is shorted or broken inside, you can mess with it all you want and not gain anything.

This a factory radio with a AM/FM switch ? If so, it may not be switching anything when moved. Thingy inside broken. Just my wild guess

"it still has the AM telescoping antennae and cable that are new from Year One."
I believe this is what he said in one of his posts.

Was the antenna use on a different radio and did it work?
It still wouldn't hurt to try a different antenna just to make sure there's nothing wrong with the one you have.

Redfish may also be on to something.

Those old radios weren't that great to begin with and years later they're even worse. They're known for having bad electrolytic caps, bad switches, cracked pc boards etc. I may be able to fix it for a very nominal fee. If I can't fix it I don't charge except for the shipping. I've done several others for other members with success. PM me if interested. In the meantime don't start tweaking anything, especially coils, you'll detune the sh*&*^ out of it.

In the meantime don't start tweaking anything, especially coils, you'll detune the sh*&*^ out of it.

This is known as a "golden screwdriver," and it's no compliment, either to "be" one or to "use" one!!!!

-
Back