am I correct here

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1976 440 engine with the same crank that came in it from the factory. I am assuming it is a cast crank and is externally balanced. I should have a B & M 10237 flexplate on there. It has a 727 tranny. And before someone says it, I know the only way to make sure is pull the pan and check the number. But, I know for a fact that it is the one from the factory because the engine had not been apart when it was built. Soooooooooooo, unless Chrysler made a change back then and slipped a forged crank in my engine, it should be a cast, right. And if so it is externally balanced a require a 10237 flexplate. The reason I am asking as the engine and tranny is coming out this weekend and I need to check and make sure. Now would be the time. Pretty sure that is what I put in it but wanted to make sure.

The 10237 is for an external balance 6 bolt mount. As long as Ma Mopar didn't do something strange that should be correct. I know you've been fighting some vibe issues in the past on this. If you've got the engine out, me personally, I'd pull the oil pan to verify the crank as well as the balancer. I know someone else did the install for you and given some of the issues you've fought with. Just for a piece of mind. You know as well as everyone else the consistency of the manufacturer there was a lot of overlap on parts. Hope you get it sorted out where you can enjoy the ride.

Assume nothing. Any 1976 factory 440 from a truck that had a 4-speed will have a forged crank.

Assume nothing. Any 1976 factory 440 from a truck that had a 4-speed will have a forged crank.

yep. And for what it's worth, I had a 76 400 out of a truck with a 4 speed that had a forged crank as well.

being that year would be cast crank,does the crank rear has a hole for a pilot bearing,if not its a cast crank,another is cast cranks have a thick balncer,steel cracks has holes for pilot bearings and use a thin balancer

It has the bullet style balancer on it right now. I checked with 440 source and it says that style is external balanced with cast crank. Just want to make sure. This engine came out of a motor home with an automatic in it. I had it tore down and bored and built up some. I know it wasn't a 4 speed. Going to look further when I get it out. Dubob, I believe the vibe issue I have been fighting will be corrected when the Schumacher mounts go in and the motor is in there straight from what I have gathered. Thanks guys.

-
Back