Am I Crazy, radiusing rear wheel wells on orig. Form S 340 FB Cuda, for SS look?

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
I want the car to have a tall rear tire. I don't like the look of a short tire on these cars. The rear quarter just dwarfs the short tire. I would like to run, say a 29" tall, 10 to 11 " wide tire. I wouldn't necessarily modify the inside as the orig ss cars had some tire outside the body line. Could the panel be eventually repaired back to orig. if need be? I will post 2 examples of the look i want.

Attachments

• sox & martin fish, hodge restos.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 417
  • hodge finished ss fish.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 408
i would have done it already!..S/S cars have an awesome look!

Mini tub and shove the biggest tire you and fit in there :twisted:

No guts, no glory.
Why not do it?
It takes a man to restore a rare car.
It takes a real man to cut one up!
Honestly, i think it would look awesome.
If it was 1973 instead of 2013, you wouldn't be asking this question. Back then, they just went and did it!

Never could bring my self to cut up the Dart. That and Crackedback says he will kick my a$$. LOL Thats why I picked up a 75 S/6 Duster.

JMO, but I wouldn't cut nice solid factory quarters - especially on a Formula S.
I'm all into making a car your own, but not if a somewhat rare item like a Formula S Barracuda. I'm doing my '69 Dart the way I want, but it started life as a "grandma" 270 hardtop not a Swinger 340, GT, or GTS.

I like it when they stretch the opening for tall tires, cut out the lip, widen it front and back, and insert a filler piece in the middle. With that and a mini tub you can fit a lot of tire and keep the same profile as the stock wheelwell.

New sheet metal is not to expensive.

I could not cut up an "S" but its your car.

Love the SS pics from Hodge Restorations shop. They just wrapped up the metal work on my "S" and sending it to paint.

I wouldn't do it.

And nobody was ever threatened in the thought process of chopping up a nice rare sheetmetal car. :)

Mini tubbed and I moved the front lowers front 3/4 inch and moved the rear housing back 1/2 inch. I fit 12 inch wheels with 29x14.5's on without a problem.

I would go for it . I hate the low rubber look myself.

Attachments

• DSCF0090.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 361
  • dus1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 350
  • dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 366
I like it when they stretch the opening for tall tires, cut out the lip, widen it front and back, and insert a filler piece in the middle. With that and a mini tub you can fit a lot of tire and keep the same profile as the stock wheelwell.

That's what I did years ago on my old '69 Dart race car. It was a backhalved car with the rear wheel openings stretched 4" and 14x32 slicks all tucked underneath. I was building the car to run Super Street on a 10.90 index and the rules stated the wheel openings could be stretched but not raised.
The car sat low and looked awesome. Due to the low Dart wheel opening height, the only drawback was I had to disconnect the back of the SS springs and jack the back way up in the air in order to pull a wheel/tire - even with a much-narrowed 8.75 housing and 12"-wide Centerline wheels with a bunch of offset to set the wheel center as close to the inside of the wheel as possible.
Wish I still had pics of it, or better yet wish I still had the car. Would have been a killer ride on the street with a milder 340.

It depends if its # matching I would not. If factory engine and transmission are gone doesn't really matter. It is your car so do what you want.

you dont need to tub it.....................

Attachments

• supermarket.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 270
Wheres 68383GTS Jim?? I'm pretty sure he still has the 68, and it was cut years ago to look like a Hemi Dart!!

I think the OP here is going for the look over the mini tub and wheels under the car look. Only he can answer whether it's worth the price of resale later to realize his dream now...but I'm in the camp of the "its your car, do what you like" crowd!! If you groove on it....do it!! Geof

-
Back