Am I Going To Be Happy With This Camshaft?

-
Sure it will work. It's not very radical but it does have a 108° LC which will give it a little rumpity rump. 221/270 .465 isn't that big of a big cam.

Had that cam in a 9 to 1 318 with stock 360 heads. It was a little soft on the bottom end with the stock converter but still ran 14.0 at 101 with 3.55 open rear at 3500 lbs. It should work great in a 10 to 1 340.

@Bodyperson
The gears were, and still are, 3.55. With your setup, I am guessing you will be at about 375 HP, maybe more. Do you think 600 CFM is enough carb. It will be great for driving around town and doing burnouts, but I think you are giving up at least 20-25 HP by not going with a 750. I replaced a 600 with a 750 on my 340, and it was a difference you could definitely feel. It was running a bit rich while cruising (gassy smell), so I jetted the primaries down a bit. The gassy smell went away, and I still had the whoomp when I put my foot in it. Just thinking out loud. Even a bone stock 340 had more than 600 CFM.
Agreed, I think he is going to be crowding 400? Gonna love it!

I appreciate all of the input. Like I said, I already have a very similar spec cam. Hell, I think its the same cam that I left the link to. It is made by Isky also. One lobe is .005 shorter than the rest but one lobe is also .003 taller than the rest. Maybe this is normal and nothing is wrong with the cam? Just throw some new lifters on it? The rest are at .283, .284 and .285. Most are at .285. I sure hate to be a cheapskate at this point but maybe it's perfectly usable. I did drive the car with that cam with a different 340. It had the wrong converter but it ran pretty good.
That engine had other issues too but it had a nice sounding idle and pulled pretty good on the top end. I still need to buy a converter but I think it wont need a lot of stall. I don't know the tire height yet. I want tall tires. Hoping to get a tucked look but that's tough to do on a barracuda. Its dropped in the back.

I also mini tubbed it with the spring moved inboard and moved back one inch. I just want to get this engine sealed up for now. I still have to measure for pushrods. This is where all of this started. It has PRW stainless rollers if I didn't already mention that. A bigger cam sure aint out of the question. The Promaxx heads will go to .575 lift.

Good cam, use it. I have used Isky shelf grinds in quite a few engines, always give great performance. As for lifters, if do not want lifter/lobe failure, I would find some NOS lifters [ or used lifters & have then re-faced ]. Either/both would need to be 25+ yrs old.

Good cam, use it. I have used Isky shelf grinds in quite a few engines, always give great performance. As for lifters, if do not want lifter/lobe failure, I would find some NOS lifters [ or used lifters & have then re-faced ]. Either/both would need to be 25+ yrs old.
My worry is that I find little difference from one side of the cam lobe nose to the other side of the nose. The noses are shiny all of the way across. Isn't there supposed to be some angle built into the lobe to help spin the lifter or is all of that motion built into the lifter. It is my understanding the reason for the recent cam, lifter failure, is due to the improper machining of the lifter face profile more-so than the metallurgy. I have some decent looking old lifters.

Well I made a decision. I'm sending my cam and lifters to Oregon Cams. @Garrett Ellison swayed my decision after his shameless attempt to buy the old Isky cam. :poke: Just teasing Buddy. Thanks for the info.
The conversation with Oregon Cams was very productive and reassuring of my decision. Real down to earth folks. He even laughed at my jokes.
So I have two complete 340's and trying to make one good one but I still have a question. What is going on with these different looking lifters. The lifters with the extra little ridge in the body seem to have survived the best. I think it is an original Mopar piece. The same height lifter next to it is what was mostly on the Isky cam along with the other odd ball. The other 340 had 15 of the lifters like the one with the extra little ridge and one odd ball. So basically, I have a full set of 16 with the extra little ridge in the body to send to Oregon Cams which seem to be in the best condition.

20240205_165445.jpg

20240205_165345.jpg

That's more than a little interesting! Is the pushrod cup lower in the lifter body to offset for that? I'll have to look through my original parts when I get a chance, I think I have some used factory lifters like that, too, from a couple of 1973-1974 360's. Just curious, did you and Ken decide to go with the similar 487 cam or did Ken steer you in a different direction? He has some other fairly fast rate hydraulics that looked like they also would have worked well for your application.

Well I made a decision. I'm sending my cam and lifters to Oregon Cams. @Garrett Ellison swayed my decision after his shameless attempt to buy the old Isky cam. :poke: Just teasing Buddy. Thanks for the info.
The conversation with Oregon Cams was very productive and reassuring of my decision. Real down to earth folks. He even laughed at my jokes.
So I have two complete 340's and trying to make one good one but I still have a question. What is going on with these different looking lifters. The lifters with the extra little ridge in the body seem to have survived the best. I think it is an original Mopar piece. The same height lifter next to it is what was mostly on the Isky cam along with the other odd ball. The other 340 had 15 of the lifters like the one with the extra little ridge and one odd ball. So basically, I have a full set of 16 with the extra little ridge in the body to send to Oregon Cams which seem to be in the best condition.

View attachment 1716202867

View attachment 1716202868
They're good folks. I cannot sing their praises enough. I recommend them constantly and it falls on deaf ears a lot.

I am looking at the top pic in post #35. The bottom lifter with the strange looking circlip is the Melling/Sealed Power anti pump lifter. The internals are identical to the same brand that comes with the paper clip circlip, except these are not anti pump up.

That's more than a little interesting! Is the pushrod cup lower in the lifter body to offset for that? I'll have to look through my original parts when I get a chance, I think I have some used factory lifters like that, too, from a couple of 1973-1974 360's. Just curious, did you and Ken decide to go with the similar 487 cam or did Ken steer you in a different direction? He has some other fairly fast rate hydraulics that looked like they also would have worked well for your application.
Yes, the cup is lower. Ken said he did not have any "off the shelf" cams for this application. He said he was very busy with the work like I asked for. I'm just going to send it and see what he has to say. I'd like to build a little more lift into the cam.

Yes, the cup is lower. Ken said he did not have any "off the shelf" cams for this application. He said he was very busy with the work like I asked for. I'm just going to send it and see what he has to say. I'd like to build a little more lift into the cam.
He can do it!

After looking at my own pictures I have to wonder if the lifters with the lower oil bands came with the Isky cam. I know all of this stuff is over 25 years old. Not that the lift was that high but maybe by default they just sold them that way.

Last edited:
Another thing, The apparently replacement lifters correspond to the area of a sleeved cylinder on the block I am not building at this time. The guy I bought that engine from was a real drug addicted hard nosed gearhead.

My machine shop/engine builder guy showed me an Isky catalog from the seventies that had a "lifetime guarantee" camshaft that had "hardfaced overlay lobes." It looked like the lobe was carbided from just past the clearance ramps to over the nose. I wonder if those may be a special Isky lifter that was purpose hardened to run with that type of cam?

Last edited:
After looking at my own pictures I have to wonder if the lifters with the lower oil bands came with the Isky cam. I know all of this stuff is over 25 years old. Not that the lift was that high but maybe by default they just sold them that way.
I remember for a time, Mopar Performance was mixing up big block lifters for small blocks. Not all big block and small block lifters are the same and it has to do with the oil band location. I "think" 67 and prior big blocks took one lifter and 68 and forward took another and they were mixing them up so it's not a stretch to imagine it was happening elsewhere. Just food for thought.

My machine shop/engine builder guy showed me an Isky catalog from the seventies that had a "lifetime guarantee" camshaft that had "hardfaced overlay lobes." It looked like the lobe was carbided from just past the clearance ramps to over the nose. I wonder if those may be a special Isky lifter that was likewise hardened to run with that cam?
This discussion is becoming convoluted. All my fault. The lifters on the Isky cam are toast but I'm not blaming Isky. Some dumb stuff was done to that valve train. The other 340, the one I am building, has what appear to be really nice lifters but that cam is flat. It was a low compression 72 block. The bore was .030 over when I acquired it but I think the cam and lifters are original, except one lifter. Just my assumption.

The lifters on that engine look very good and what Oregon Cams will be receiving. I think they are original Mopar stuff and seem to be superior. I was hoping that little extra band on the body would be a tall tell sign to those more experienced than me to identify them as O.E.

That'll work! The 110 LSA and 106 ICL are what gives it the same rpm range as the slightly longer duration duration cam on a 108. You'll find that it will pull past the rated rpm range pretty happily.

That'll work! The 110 LSA and 106 ICL are what gives it the same rpm range as the slightly longer duration duration cam on a 108. You'll find that it will pull past the rated rpm range pretty happily.
I also ordered a distributor limiter plate. Starting to figure this stuff out. Lots of help out there. Just gotta make those phone calls.

-
Back