Am I SOL on 8.75

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
Got the "new" 68 8.75 torn down and after draining the housing noticed metal shavings then did some yoke rotating. Is this just an adjustment issue ? From what I can see all the gear teeth look good.

jsw_img_1658.jpg

489 case I'm betting and the crush sleeve crushed a bit more, losing preload on the assembly, and the yoke nut came loose.

If it is a 489 case, it should be pulled apart and everything checked out. Replace the crush sleeve with a solid spacer.

check everything like Crackedback said, it is also possible that the damage you are seeing is old, but I'd pull it apart to be safe.

..........68 will b a 742 case, yes the pinion nut came loose at 1 time........u will probably b putting in some kind of anyway, gears usually dont get damaged.........kim..........

THX guys and yep, it's a 742 case. Any tricks I should know about putting it back together ? The last one of these I messed with was 40 years back and I wasn't the one messing with it. Thanks again.

That line going across the ring all crossed up has me curious....

If you rotate it by hand does it take the same amount of pressure to make a full revolution or does it get slightly tight in 1 spot....

Rotational resistence is constant. No fore & aft end play and rocking the yoke has enough play to hear but not measure. I didn't give the groove much thought figuring a shaving got caught but wasn't considering the gear steel would be harder.

jsw_img_1659.jpg

jsw_img_1660.jpg

jsw_img_1661.jpg

I have found and made a commit to by an A-body ready 8.75 so the one I have now from a 68 Coronet is taking up space. I paid $450 in the blind for it ( OK silly me ) then found the internal scarring. I don't know how serious this is. The entire unit is drum to drum " 11 inch " ( drums do need turned but not bad ) with a 3.23 open 742 and BBP 30 spline axles. Considering the possible or not damage to the differential can anyone give me a fair market value ?

Am also wondering what the value might be as I have a 70 B Body rear end that I'm not gonna use.

Am also wondering what the value might be as I have a 70 B Body rear end that I'm not gonna use.

I have found and made a commit to by an A-body ready 8.75 so the one I have now from a 68 Coronet is taking up space. I paid $450 in the blind for it ( OK silly me ) then found the internal scarring. I don't know how serious this is. The entire unit is drum to drum " 11 inch " ( drums do need turned but not bad ) with a 3.23 open 742 and BBP 30 spline axles. Considering the possible or not damage to the differential can anyone give me a fair market value ?

Anyboby have any ideas ?

-
Back