Am I the only one?

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I have always been into the traditional style of early hot rods. I liked old school before there was old school. Torgue Thrust wheels or Chrome reverse/steel wheels, slotted mags, and bias tires,or cheater slicks only look right to me. I guess I don't really like modern pro-touring, or restomod. The 60's and 70's to me just had the style. In fact, I remember being disapoionted as a kid when Hot Wheels changed their mag style wheels to those hideous gold "fast wheels" as they called them. I also like old style flake paint jobs or even primer. I do not like billet and think non-pollished blowers look the best. Anodized or chrome valve covers look awesome. What I am confused by is why hasn't the old school look caught on for muscle cars yet? You only see pro-touring, pro street, or restored or slighlty modified muscle cars these days. Is it because only numbers matching, value obssessed guys own muscle cars? They are afraid that if they commit to a look they won't be able to sell their prized machine? I would love to see some 60's or early 70's style Mopar pics! Please share them here. I can't be the only one. Oh yea! Love that colored tint or lexan window treatment too!

I agree with most of what you are saying. The huge rims and short tires just kill the looks of most classic muscle cars. Something about big sidewalls just adds that look. Shiny stuff is more for lowriders and such.
vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]
vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]

I agree with most of what you are saying. The huge rims and short tires just kill the looks of most classic muscle cars. Something about big sidewalls just adds that look. Shiny stuff is more for lowriders and such.
vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]
vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]
That Dart is exactly what I am talking about! That is hot rod perfection!

i like and can appreciate most styles as long as they are done right..

old school is cool to look at or drive in a straight line. they are getting a bit overdone these days though in my opinion., all jacked up, big tires,big motor cool paint, classic wheels all great looking if done right...

all chromed out and custom paint is cool too if its done right and not totally overdone.

but the modern style are a lot more to drive in my opinion, low stance, stopping and turning power, big modern engine and overdrive.. can't beat it for pure fun.

I am not against modern brakes. With the way traffic is and millions of teenagers with cell phones on the road, maneuverability and stopping power is important. I feel that modern buckets seats and custom embroidered interior just look wrong, though. Give me vinyl seats and loop carpet any day. The Dart above in the pic is what I am talking about. Speaking of tires... big bias or even some old Goodyear slicks look awesome!

My biggest gripe is the big wheels on some cars. Some look OK, most don't, IMO.

Last night I watched Overhaulin and they did a Roadrunner convert. Don't get me wrong, the car looked good except the wheels. I understand the handling aspects, so improved suspension and the like don't bother me too much, but those big wheels detract from some builds, again just my opinion.

Technology has made our dreams much more exotic and achievable without a doubt. The tall sidewalls suck at cornering, AOD,MPFI and turbochargers have made clear their advantages. If I come up with the $ I would love to use MPFI on my early Hemi going into the 74 Cuda with maybe a megasquirt system or some such. I missed the first part of the episode of Bitchin Rides 34 Plymouth with an early Hemi which had port injection. Does anyone recall what manifold and system they used?

My biggest gripe is the big wheels on some cars. Some look OK, most don't, IMO. Last night I watched Overhaulin and they did a Roadrunner convert. Don't get me wrong, the car looked good except the wheels. I understand the handling aspects, so improved suspension and the like don't bother me too much, but those big wheels detract from some builds, again just my opinion.
I have seen "big" mentioned here twice. Do y'all mean 20'' wheels with lowpro tires or 15x12 tires sticking out the back? I am down for 8" or 10" wheels in the back. I do not dig mid to late 70's over the top giant cragars and velour interior with shag carpet. There's a small time period when cars just looked right. Mid to late sixties and early 70's.

I'm with you. I like the 70's or day 2 look. Keystones or Cragars, good rake, cool paint. Too many cool old rides were ruined by putting them back to stock, just my opinion. I also firmly believe any rim bigger than 15" belongs on a truck. But to each their own. Make it how YOU like it. But if you are going to really put the miles on it, abodyjoe makes a good point. Better brakes and handling, improved ride and fuel economy.

I feel that modern buckets seats and custom embroidered interior just look wrong,

that goes back to what i said about it being done right.. they can all look good or horrible depending how they are done..

It's all about opinions. I like old school hot rods, you know, fat tires in the back, skinnies on the front, traction bars, mini-tubs look bad, six-pack hood scoop, etc. I also like the original look. I do not dig primer paint jobs, and I'm not much into rat-rods or chop tops. But remember, it's all about opinions, and if you don't see much of yours, then not many people share yours... and that's OK

I'm with you. I like the 70's or day 2 look. Keystones or Cragars, good rake, cool paint. Too many cool old rides were ruined by putting them back to stock, just my opinion. I also firmly believe any rim bigger than 15" belongs on a truck. But to each their own. Make it how YOU like it. But if you are going to really put the miles on it, abodyjoe makes a good point. Better brakes and handling, improved ride and fuel economy.
I agree 100% I don't dive mine very far, though. 3:91 gears, four speed, and bias wide oval with front runners. I posted this thread in hopes of seeing more old style hot rods like mine. I was just wondering if others share my taste in cars.

My biggest gripe is the big wheels on some cars. Some look OK, most don't, IMO.

Last night I watched Overhaulin and they did a Roadrunner convert. Don't get me wrong, the car looked good except the wheels. I understand the handling aspects, so improved suspension and the like don't bother me too much, but those big wheels detract from some builds, again just my opinion.

i agree.. too big looks just as stupid as a 14" wheel looks on most of our cars. seriously a 14: wheel on B or E body?? that look horrible.. too big a tire with a big balloon sidewall on a 14 or 15 inch wheel also looks bad in my opinion..

I don't know how many of us are out there but I agree 100% with your sentiment. I have noticed more old gassers starting to show up at car shows this last year. I'm hoping that it's a trend that will make a comeback.

There are a lot of guys that build 'off the shelf'. So if all you can buy are 20" wheels with ultra low profile tires that's what they'll go with.

I don't hate efi but it's a step farther away from old school. Gas prices dictate that 10 mpg cars will never become mainstream again. So efi is going to continue to creep into old school cars.

It's sort of like Rock n Roll. Those cars will never die. - and they will always be cool. But as each kid comes of age he'll have been influenced the most by what he's seen the most. In my small town I'm still fighting to keep the dream alive.

View attachment IMG_3530.jpg

I know alot of my preferences are because I'm 55 and remember this stuff as a kid and how high octane leaded gas smelled at the pump and who had the rep for the baddest cars etc... I understand how some of this stuff is dated and not as safe or efficient. I just hope my fascination with some of this old school stuff is not percieved as stupid as the sagging pants and underwear hanging out on some of todays geniuses.

I have always been into the traditional style of early hot rods. I liked old school before there was old school. Torgue Thrust wheels or Chrome reverse/steel wheels, slotted mags, and bias tires,or cheater slicks only look right to me. I guess I don't really like modern pro-touring, or restomod. The 60's and 70's to me just had the style. In fact, I remember being disapoionted as a kid when Hot Wheels changed their mag style wheels to those hideous gold "fast wheels" as they called them. I also like old style flake paint jobs or even primer. I do not like billet and think non-pollished blowers look the best. Anodized or chrome valve covers look awesome. What I am confused by is why hasn't the old school look caught on for muscle cars yet? You only see pro-touring, pro street, or restored or slighlty modified muscle cars these days. Is it because only numbers matching, value obssessed guys own muscle cars? They are afraid that if they commit to a look they won't be able to sell their prized machine? I would love to see some 60's or early 70's style Mopar pics! Please share them here. I can't be the only one. Oh yea! Love that colored tint or lexan window treatment too!

I'm with ya a thousand percent (Well....almost. I do like my huffers shiny) Someone said earlier that there was a short period of time when cars just looked right...mid 60's-mid 70's. All my stuff is based around that period and ideal. The Pro Touring, Resto Mod thing is a fad like a dozen others that have come and gone over the years..let the guys who enjoy that stuff have their day. Classic will always be classic though. The past is the future!

Just the right size tire and stance is important. Now a black flamed Cuda with 15x6 Cragars in the front and some 15x8's in the back would be just right.

Glad you like the Dart VonCramp! I couldn't let it stay in the field....
vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]
vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]

It's not at all difficult to buy redline tires and torque thrust style wheels these days. The greasers have single handedly revived chrome reverse wheels too. I was born in 1970 but somehow just knew how muscle cars should look. Even BMX bikes in the early to mid 80's utilized a lot of anodized aluminum, giving them that hot rod look. Astro supremes are a very affordable chorme 5 spoke wheel as well. With my Firestone wide ovals in the back my Barracuda handles just fine. I don't need to take corners at 60+mph anyways.

That Dart is beautiful. Perfect wheels too! Dig the cheaters! I wish the old Super Stockers hadn't gotten all tubbed out, but I know it's to run bigger slicks for traction. Just miss the look you have achieved with yours. Keep style alive!

This is what I am talking about!

Attachments

• Gen II A_MP Camaro, 8_29_72, sets A_MP record.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 436
I to like the old school look but when I started building my car the pro-street look was apon us and I went with the fat tires in the rear

Attachments

• Furious 3014 004.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 473
  • Furious 3014 005.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 482
My problem when I looked for wheels and tires were (as I needed custom offsets) the 15" custom made wheels were as much or more than 17" wheel and the tire options for 15" were limited and lower performing and cost as much as better performing 17" tires. Below is how it turned out before and after.

However, I do agree large wheels for the sake of doing it doesn't look right. Up to a 17" or some 18" can look clean and flow well with the car.

Attachments

• d3m.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 513
  • 20140808_135613.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 533
-
Back