Am I too negative? '66 Val convert on eBay

-

SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This seems like a really cool car; 1966 Valiant convertible with 273 Commando and factory AC, plus it doesn't have a million miles on it.
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Other-1966-plymouth-valiant-signet-convertible-v-8-auto-vinyl-power-top-classic-cruiser-/311113815552?forcerrptr=true&hash=item486fd41600&item=311113815552&pt=US_Cars_Trucks"]Plymouth Other | eBay[/ame]
Looks straight and solid, it has all the proper trim for a '66 Valiant too but just a few things look odd like the dash pad and the paint on the bezel for the top switch - red flags for me.
I know it's close to fifty years old and I don't expect it to be as it left the dealer but I would want to see and drive this myself before I bought it.
I'm just too negative I guess.

Trim is wrong for a Signet. What is painted gray along the bottom of the car should be stainless trim. Panel under the trunk lid should be stainless as well. Typical car lot hack job. If you need proof, look at what they did to the tranny crossmember...

There are a few things, but overall it appears to be ready to enjoy. It should be seen in person...

This one might be closer if you can swing it for around the same money as the other car. both have a reserve and the bid is up to about the same with only a day apart of bid time left. Plus it will hold its value better and is about 1000 times better looking. Just to shop and compare.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Fury-SPORT-FURY-CONVERTIBLE/251659122873?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25411%26meid%3D742c8833399f4b978fa9e9f706c516f5%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D10672%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D351181190078"]Plymouth Fury Sport Fury Convertible | eBay[/ame]

Verify from the VIN number if a factory Commando engine (4 bbl). That affects the value. The Fury says a 318 engine. If original (as suggested), I think that would be the "poly 318" in 1964 which is different than later small block engines, and usually less desired since heavier and parts are rarer (though some interchange).

Verify from the VIN number if a factory Commando engine (4 bbl). That affects the value. The Fury says a 318 engine. If original (as suggested), I think that would be the "poly 318" in 1964 which is different than later small block engines, and usually less desired since heavier and parts are rarer (though some interchange).

I agree and I don't see the love for the boat cars increasing like the A bodies. I recall when there was no love for the A bodies but they have gained in popularity in the last 7 to 10 years.

That sport fury is sure a lot of red!! Its in the next town over from me, but I've never seen it before! Bet it won't meet reserve, especially with the $35k Hagerty reference! Geof

Commando will not show up on the 66 VIN, not till 67.

You can not tell from the VIN whether the car came with a Commando or 2 barrel till 1967 when the engine code differentiated 2 or 4 barrel engine.

I agree and I don't see the love for the boat cars increasing like the A bodies. I recall when there was no love for the A bodies but they have gained in popularity in the last 7 to 10 years.

Why is a 64 Sport Fury a boat? In 64 the Sport Fury was a B-Body. The Sport Fury didn't become a C-Body until 65.

Joe

Trim is wrong for a Signet. What is painted gray along the bottom of the car should be stainless trim. Panel under the trunk lid should be stainless as well. Typical car lot hack job. If you need proof, look at what they did to the tranny crossmember...

Sorry, trim under the trunk lid is aluminum, as it should be. The gray, under the body side trim is suppose to be silver painted, not stainless trim. And the code on the inner fender tag is a 32- 273 Commando code for 1966.

Sorry, trim under the trunk lid is aluminum, as it should be. The gray, under the body side trim is suppose to be silver painted, not stainless trim. And the code on the inner fender tag is a 32- 273 Commando code for 1966.

After a bunch of digging, I stand corrected. Thanks for that trip down memory lane. Isn't it amazing how far from the truth memories are that you made when you were 13, almost 50 years later? That still don't excuse the big chunk that was hacked out of the tranny crossmember with no attempt at welding in some reinforcement...

You can not tell from the VIN whether the car came with a Commando or 2 barrel till 1967 when the engine code differentiated 2 or 4 barrel engine.
makes sense to me now, you learn something new every day here. one more reason this site rocks! I have never been a huge numbers guy. wouldn't want a big dollar car myself ever. rather have the run of the mill car I can do want too and not affect the value.

Typical car lot hack job. If you need proof, look at what they did to the tranny crossmember...

This is what I thought.
Looks like it could be a really nice ride or could be a fright pig to drive.
Also the fender tags shows it to be a 273 Commando and the factory AC is a really cool option.
I expect the reserve to be about three times what it's worth.

-
Back