AM radio volume

-

chris_stevenson

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot or not but I am having a problem with my am radio in my 72 duster. its never worked right from when I bought the car. the volume has been low even when you turn it all the way up. I am going to go AM/FM when I find one but in the mean time I wanted to at least be able to listen to something lol any thoughts on how to fix this?

The factory radios were crap back them. They had maybe one watt and if you still have the factory speaker.. yes some had just one speaker you'll never get any good sound out of it even with a modern or am/fm stereo.

There is a screw on the front top left that looks like it holds a small round capacitor mine was loose this gave me my volume back, I used a little gel superglue to lock it in once I snuged it. Also used a correct 8 ohm speaker from turnswitch that made the radio sound great!!!!

That's some xlnt info EL5 ^^^^^^ :thumbup:

Make sure you've got a good ground and 12v. If you can ohm test your speaker(s) to make sure it isn't blown. There's a member here that makes a conversion bracket to replace the factory dash speaker.

The antenna trimmer screw is adjusted by using a station at the upper end of the frequency band and adjusting for the best reception, not just tight.

That's some xlnt info EL5 ^^^^^^ :thumbup:
Hi C ! seriously if you get the radio working and it has a modern 4 ohm speaker i would get the correct one from turnswitch.com. I did this mainly because a couple "radio" guys said the 4 ohm would overheat the radio and burn it out eventually, i was surprised at how much better the radio sounded over the 4 ohm $10 radio shack speaker i had in there, plus the radio feels cooler.

The electrolytic capacitors dry out in those old radios and may be causing your problem. Also, as mentioned above you want to use a good working 8 ohm speaker, not a 4 ohm. Clean/spray the volume pot too, you can use WD-40 if you have nothing else.

All good answers, but "low volume" is very subjective. Could even be a poor selection for a replacement output transistor. I was the victim of that when I bought my 69, way back in 1970. The previous owner or his "friend" had replaced the output transistor with a very poor substitute.

Put it on the bench, hook up a speaker and 12 volts and an antenna and start tapping the pc board, it may start working temporarily. If so check all the solder connections on the circuit board. It only takes one bad connection to give you the symptom you described.

i have an A body am/fm radio and the fm works great but as above the am volume is low.
any ideas?
i'm not using it.

i have an A body am/fm radio and the fm works great but as above the am volume is low.
any ideas?
i'm not using it.

You have to trim antenna with that little screw previously mentioned. In other words, if the electronics of the radio don’t match the antenna's resistance, volume will be low. Other causes are leaking capacitors.

If you are like me, somewhat electronically challenged, just send the radio out to an antique auto radio repair shop, and have it reconditioned.

Hi C ! seriously if you get the radio working and it has a modern 4 ohm speaker i would get the correct one from turnswitch.com. I did this mainly because a couple "radio" guys said the 4 ohm would overheat the radio and burn it out eventually, i was surprised at how much better the radio sounded over the 4 ohm $10 radio shack speaker i had in there, plus the radio feels cooler.

Hey there!! I gave up on getting good sound from my factory unit & just left it in the dash for looks. I ended up with a Pioneer deck hidden in the glove box with a remote.......It sounds great now :D

..O.K...dug the am fm out and tried it again out of curiosity.
Just like before the FM was loud and clear but AM very low.
I had just stuck a coat hanger in for an antennae so i grabbed it and gave it a wiggle..Presto AM loud and clear.
Used a couple of 4 ohm 6 x 8 speakers in series (8 ohm) out of an LTD and it sounded pretty good!

Check the speaker (s?). If factory, the paper cone is probably gone, so you won't get much sound. Try connecting the cable to a known good 8 ohm speaker.

You have to trim antenna with that little screw previously mentioned. In other words, if the electronics of the radio don’t match the antenna's resistance, volume will be low. Other causes are leaking capacitors.

If you are like me, somewhat electronically challenged, just send the radio out to an antique auto radio repair shop, and have it reconditioned.

okay kool any ideas of any are in the inland empire or any of you trust?

-
Back