Ampmeter flickering

-

dart gt

Reaction score
Is there a way to bypass my factory ampmeter since I have the aftermarket gauges.When im driving the amp light flickers and my lights will dim and I don't want it to go a fire.Thanks

The amp meter could be fine and showing you there is a problem elsewhere.
In that case bypassing the gauge wouldn't cure it.
Have you checked any of the connections ?

Yup. This could be one of several problems. Could be a bad connection in / at the ammeter or bulkhead, or a problem elsewhere

Might be a bad regulator

Might be bad brushes in the alternator

Might be bad grounding between alternator (engine block), body, and battery

Or a poor connection "voltage drop" in the engine harness supplying ignition power to the voltage regulator.

What are you using for a regulator? Is this the old 69 / earlier mechanical regulator?

What year / model we workin' on here?

I would check your wiring for the gauges and under the dash. Pull the cluster out and look at the wires. I had this problem once and found that the main ammeter positive wire had melted sometime and had bare wire that would occasionally vibrate and ground to the dash frame. I rewired it with new wires and it never was an issue after that.

Make sure that you don't have any melted/exposed wires under your dash.

I would first suspect a bad alternator. Mine was flickering a while back, I checked everything then finally swapped it out with another alternator and the problem went away.

I forgot to add that way back in the (early) 70's I found my first bad factory welded splice. This is the welded splice in the black ammeter wire up under the dash. The 68 Road Runner belonging to a friend suffered a flickering ammeter.

We had the dash and harness tore apart in his apartment lot, he thought I was nuts. I found the problem and was forever the hero.

Bear in mind that back in those days, I was a young Navy ET (electronics tech) and Al Gore's internet had not been invented. All I had to work with was my factory 69 service manual, and some tools, and a multimeter.

-
Back