An iconic WWII aircraft will be making a comeback!

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My son sent this to me earlier today:

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/catalina-aircraft-rebirth-ww2-flying-boat

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste it to your browser.

Catalina-flying-boat-800x500.jpg

Last edited:
Until a very few years ago there was a PBY operated in the Spokane/ N Idaho area fire bomber. The operator appeared on TV a couple times, bitching, and sounded like politics ended it's run. He was saying they had "plenty of spares to keep running" but evidently the powers that be decided for some reason to hire someone else. Last week I saw 3 of the popular CL215s or what they are called headed for the lake. No idea where they are from.

Infamously, the "Dr Bird" used to have a home around here, and about the time I got out of the Navy had a PBY converted to a ?camper? which he landed up near Sandpoint, ID. on Lake Pend Oreille. (say pond o- RAY)

Either that one or a different one he had, they converted to 4 engines. Chopped up a great airplane, I think.

The "Bird Innovator"

During the late 1960s Forrest Bird and his Bird Corporation developed a conversion for the PBY Catalina to improve performance.

The Catalina was modified by adding two 340 hp (254 kW) Lycoming GSO-480-B2D6 engines positioned outboard of the original Pratt & Whitney radials to increase range and performance.[1] These engines and cowlings had originally been installed on the McKinnon four engine Grumman Goose. When they were removed by McKinnon to convert the Goose to twin turboprop power, they were purchased by Bird for his PBY Innovator conversion.
1024px-Bird_Innovator_at_Albuquerque_1995.jpg

The Spokane area PBY getting fired........

And turns out the aircraft met a sad end.

From the Spokane area (Deer Park, WA) it was in Arlington, WA for awhile, and then used in the filming of a movie about the U.S.S. Indianapolis. During that, it became stuck in shallow water on a sandbar, and was BROKEN IN HALF by a huge crane attempting to lift the flooded airplane, otherwise undamaged, into pieces

Last edited:
My Dad flew PBYs during WWII (Pensacola FL) until they switched him to PV1 and PV2s - Pacific Theater. He met my mother who was an enlisted Navy Nurse at Mare Island, CA when he was stationed at the sea plane base there. They married just before he was sent west into the battle zone. There is a Naval Air Museum in Oak Harbor WA (originally called the PBY Museum). There was a seaplane base on Whidbey Island during the war and all the old buildings have been repurposed, but have survived. The museum owns a former fire fighting PBY bought when its owner couldn't keep it up.

-
Back