And just like that the 2023 race season is over

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We had beautiful 60-65 temps and blue sky's all week. Then her comes the weekend like usual, cold and rain. Keystone had hoped to get one more test n tune in but officially pulled the plug for the season today. Lower freezing type temps moving in and it’s time to winterize the track for the winter.

IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_0317.png

I hope Keystone keep going for many more seasons.
Maybe I'll get back there someday.

I thought you guys raced in sub zero temps as long as the track was dry.

No we are a bunch of wimps and hide away in the cold weather.
nothing wrong with hiding out in the shop and listening to tunes while servicing and whatever on a wintery day.
I hope you get healed up soon so you can at least make it to the shop.

It rains allot at Keystone.I used to load up clear sky. Hour or so drive,get to the track and it would be raining. Maybe for less than a hour.
Now THEN if the cars were out and it would start raining,guys would line up down the track to do the best at keeping the track dry.THEN when the rain stopped,we would drive up and down the track using the open headers to help with the drying. Those were the days.. Doubt they would do that today.

It rains allot at Keystone.I used to load up clear sky. Hour or so drive,get to the track and it would be raining. Maybe for less than a hour.
Now THEN if the cars were out and it would start raining,guys would line up down the track to do the best at keeping the track dry.THEN when the rain stopped,we would drive up and down the track using the open headers to help with the drying. Those were the days.. Doubt they would do that today.

Been there done that back in the day. No that practice is no longer used but I was at a race at Dragway 42 last year and they did ask for tow vehicles to drive the track.

I was going to put the AMX up for the winter. But they are having twin 5k to win in Montgomery the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
I was going to put the AMX up for the winter. But they are having twin 5k to win in Montgomery the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Several of my friends are in North Carolina for a 10,000, 20,000, 20,000 dollar race this weekend. Im to old to make a tow like that alone. That would be a total nightmare to breakdown along the road alone. It’s one thing in a truck but a motorhome is a totally different experience

Several of my friends are in North Carolina for a 10,000, 20,000, 20,000 dollar race this weekend. Im to old to make a tow like that alone. That would be a total nightmare to breakdown along the road alone. It’s one thing in a truck but a motorhome is a totally different experience
I know what you mean. I'm 65 and have diabetes and leukemia. I'm trying to hire someone to travel to the races with me next year. I hope to race two times a week next year.

My season ended last weekend when one of the wheel bearings on my trailer decided to fry itself while on the way from North Jersey to Cecil County for the " Domestic Disturbance " index and pro dial race. Luckily it happened only about 12 miles from my home and I was able to slowly limp to my sister in laws house nearby . I have since repaired it but with no real pro tree racing left my season is over. My trailer is 23 years old and really doesn't owe me anything its been pretty trouble free. I am researching and looking at new trailers now.

Dragway 42 pulled the plug for the 2023 race season today too. Quaker City was several weeks ago finishing up on a Wednesday test n tune.

MAN!! It has BEEN AWHILE since we've seen 65 ish in the N end of Idaho!!! We don't have snow yet, here, but just a few more degrees............Temps have been high 30's --low-mid 40's and quite a bit of rain, or at least cloudy, rainy, drizzle. Yesterday was decent, and today not too bad. The usual "marker" is if Mt Spokane or Schweitzer ski hills can be open for Thanksgiving. I would guess, "not" but "maybe."

-
Back