And so the hiding inside begins.....

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
My 70 pound dog is afraid of flying bugs. Now that the weather is getting better and the bugs are coming out...... He doesn't want to go outside.

most of the dogs I've ever seen chase bugs around.

One of our neighbor's back in B.C. had a fat ole' dog that would find spiders on the road and nose-butt them until they were just a wet spot.
Well, they were a wet spot after the first nose-butt, but if the spider was still moving she'd do it again:D

My dog also tries to catch the giant flying bettles, (they look kind of like bug honey bees, but they don't stind).

Every now and then she catches them, Uggggh. Then she looks around all, stupid like, "Hey where'd it go?"

FormulaS,

I got no advice for you, other than to say, "I love my dogs, but they can be neurotic at times."

Looks like you've got a neurotic dog on your hands.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

My 70 pound dog is afraid of flying bugs. Now that the weather is getting better and the bugs are coming out...... He doesn't want to go outside.
leave the doors open to the house for a while. then he'll wanna go outside. once he's out lock the door.

He got stung by a bee or bit by a hornet. happened to one of mine. Get a puppy that chases bugs he'll join the hunt after a while.

Well, things haven't changed much. If a fly gets in the house he kills it and eats it in a very obsessive fashion.

The wife had our other dog outside the other day but Elvis just looked on through the screen door. The sun was out and he wouldn't go outside.'

On a rainy or overcast day he charges right out the door.

That's wierd. I have a shaggy dawg that was abused, starved and then turned into the pound to get killed. He is very neurotic about me touching him and since he is an outside dawg he gets cockelburrs. I can get them out with a LOT less hair removal but he doesn't want me messing with him. He leaves the wads of hair with burrs laying around so I can see that he can do it himself. Took 4 years before he wouldn't piss all over himself when I touched him.

That's wierd. I have a shaggy dawg that was abused, starved and then turned into the pound to get killed. He is very neurotic about me touching him and since he is an outside dawg he gets cockelburrs. I can get them out with a LOT less hair removal but he doesn't want me messing with him. He leaves the wads of hair with burrs laying around so I can see that he can do it himself. Took 4 years before he wouldn't piss all over himself when I touched him.

That's sad someone could treat a dog like that

Mine is afraid of thunder. Not cowering in the corner afraid, but more of a "I am going to bark until you stop", afraid. Nothing more funny then watching him run circles around the acreage, barking to high heaven in a thundering downpour. Neighbors must think we just don't care, but there is no way to drag him in until the show is over.

Grant

There is one type of bug that dogs find very tasty. If they get a taste for this bug they can eat far too many and get very sick.
We once has a old male Husky who would brave the hot summer sun to eat a dozen or so yellow jackets then return to laying in the shade. Vet said the dog got a high off the stings through his tongue. Likely self medicating for artheritis pain.

Poor guy. :sad:

That's sad someone could treat a dog like that

X2. Merlin in my avatar had a nylon rope embedded in his neck they had to surgically remove and a belly full of garbage. People suck, I prefer dogs.

Mine is afraid of thunder. Not cowering in the corner afraid, but more of a "I am going to bark until you stop", afraid. Nothing more funny then watching him run circles around the acreage, barking to high heaven in a thundering downpour. Neighbors must think we just don't care, but there is no way to drag him in until the show is over.

Grant

Maxi barks at the thunder too. :cheers:

There is one type of bug that dogs find very tasty. If they get a taste for this bug they can eat far too many and get very sick.
We once has a old male Husky who would brave the hot summer sun to eat a dozen or so yellow jackets then return to laying in the shade. Vet said the dog got a high off the stings through his tongue. Likely self medicating for artheritis pain.

Very interesting.... Maxi will chow on wasps too. I can always tell because she ends up with swollen lips. I just give her a benadryl and the swelling drops.

Here is a pic from my last trip to see the mother in law. At the time he still had some growing to do.

Attachments

• Elvis in Vegas baby!.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 116

My dog eats yellowjackets and spiders all the time. We thought she was just crazy!

Wow....that's a weird problem. I'd entice him outside w/ his favorite treats or toys. Good luck and nice looking pup.

-
Back