Angle Milling

-
A couple of years ago I made the mistake of buying a set of W2 heads off of E bay. I asked if there had been any machine work or porting seller said no. I bought them. They had been opened to 2.08 intake and angle milled. I got stuck with them. They have been sitting ever since I just dont know what to do with them. So there are Mopar guys out There that angle mill. I figure it was in a sprint car or something.

I picked up a pair of heads; 587 castings if foggy memory serves me right; I'm like the the 3rd or 4th owner (got them REAL inexpensive), don't know much about them other than they were radically angle milled and the chambers measure 45.5 cc. Pistons required new eye brows for valve clearance which I didn't think was such a big deal. Who ever did the machine work did a very nice job; all the bolt pockets were re-spot faced, they did a compensation cut on the intake face, so there haven't been any intake issues, and the cut the exhaust side also, no header issues.

I calculated out on my mean "Teen", stock rotator, these heads give me over 11 to 1 compression.

I'm glad I bought them.

I picked up a pair of heads; 587 castings if foggy memory serves me right; I'm like the the 3rd or 4th owner (got them REAL inexpensive), don't know much about them other than they were radically angle milled and the chambers measure 45.5 cc. Pistons required new eye brows for valve clearance which I didn't think was such a big deal. Who ever did the machine work did a very nice job; all the bolt pockets were re-spot faced, they did a compensation cut on the intake face, so there haven't been any intake issues, and the cut the exhaust side also, no header issues.

I calculated out on my mean "Teen", stock rotator, these heads give me over 11 to 1 compression.

I'm glad I bought them.

very cool! i would still be interested on which would make more power a stock head with "A" compression and angle milled head (say 2* valve angle change)with same "A" compression...

The reason for angle milling is to get the valve to open on center with the bore. The LA engines already do that. I think going "over center" will not provide any advantage....other than perhaps raising compression.

I agree with the raiseing compression theory as my heads were used in a sprint type car.

The reason for angle milling is to get the valve to open on center with the bore. The LA engines already do that. I think going "over center" will not provide any advantage....other than perhaps raising compression.

probably right, but im not thinking of a LA

...........my buddy did a set of 2.02 X heads years ago .060........he said that way u don't have to do the intake side......didn't make sense to me, I don't know if he ever used them...........kim.........

A couple of years ago I made the mistake of buying a set of W2 heads off of E bay. I asked if there had been any machine work or porting seller said no. I bought them. They had been opened to 2.08 intake and angle milled. I got stuck with them. They have been sitting ever since I just dont know what to do with them. So there are Mopar guys out There that angle mill. I figure it was in a sprint car or something.

You still have them?....

I believe Y"all looking at this the wrong way. Its not the relationship of the angle of the valve to the head or block, its the angle to the runner. Your trying to get a straight shot into and out of the cylinder bore and flow past the back of the valve face instead of into it or hitting it. Angle milling does not change the relationship of the valve to the runner or port.It will change compression if the chamber is lessened and 1 degree is not as much as you think. .0174 over an inch. So it would be angle milling .0694 off one side of a 4 inch wide head. Multiply that number by the number of degree's of change desired. Bolt holes need to be bored on position when bolt interference occurs as does with the locating dowels. Bolt seats must be spot faced so bolts do not bend and weaken the heads. Gasket faces on intake and exhaust also need to be corrected. I believe the idea with angle milling heads is to increase compression without weakening the head by cutting too much meat off the chamber face of the head and ruining the seal. There's not a lot of meat on the head since LA motors were designed to be light. You might get some benefit from raising the intake runner but perhaps lose it on lowering the exhaust runner.

And the mystery head Doug's holdin up might be painted up cardboard fakery. It may as well be. We'll never know.

Not so. It is real. That head was seen by several slant six racers, in person.

PS: I'm not sure why the people did it (I think just for compression), but some slant six heads have been angle milled approx .100 on one side and approx .200 on the other side.

I can see doing it to a slant head to flatten out that slightly sloped flat section of the CC to create a proper quench/squish zone. Not sure if there's enough meat in the head to then get the space down to what it needs to be to work or not.

-
Back