Animal Adoptions

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
My wife just had the greatest idea ever. Right now in Maricopa County the animal shelters are so overcrowded that adoption fees are only $17. Her idea, go to the animal shelter and instead of adopting (because we already have 4 dogs) to find a few dogs that are close to euthenasea and pay for their adoption fees so some lucky family will get a lifelong friend for $0.

My wife is BADASS

Thats a nice idea. Way to go. I have been getting my dogs off the side of the road. There is a bunch out there.

Hemi, that is a a great thing your wife is doing, maybe we could do a lil action to help raise some funds to save the dogs. Lots of dog lovers here.

Burnt, I hate to ask but are you selling them to restaurants? j/k ILL D

hemitheus,
My wife and I thought your wife's idea was so good, that we just sponsored 2 dogs to two good homes. It cost $40.00 per dog, and that includes the spaying or neutering, and the first round of shots. It's a great deal, and there are now are two loving families Total of 9 people) with new pets.

Thank you, and please thank your wife, for a wonderful idea! :thumbup:

hemitheus,
My wife and I thought your wife's idea was so good, that we just sponsored 2 dogs to two good homes. It cost $40.00 per dog, and that includes the spaying or neutering, and the first round of shots. It's a great deal, and there are now are two loving families Total of 9 people) with new pets.

Thank you, and please thank your wife, for a wonderful idea! :thumbup:

Frankie, did you do that there in AZ or where you are ? That IS such a cool idea !

thank you everyone. Frankie, my wife is very happy to hear this. a little part of her (and me) feels really good that we inspired you to make a difference to dogs we otherwise couldnt have ever helped.

I encourage any of you that are able to afford it to do the same and to tell as many people as you can of this idea. the more people that hear of this idea the better and a little good will toward our barking buddies goes a long way to making this world a better place for all of us.

thank you everyone. Frankie, my wife is very happy to hear this. a little part of her (and me) feels really good that we inspired you to make a difference to dogs we otherwise couldnt have ever helped.

Years back we adopted our dog and our cat from the pound. I remember how happy the kids (and I) were to get both. When I mentioned your idea yesterday afternoon, my son mentioned his friends family who just had to put their dog down due to cancer. That was about a month ago, and they were still feeling blue about it. We got them a Black Lab (mutt) thats about a year old, and was scheduled to be euthanized next week. Sweetest personality you could imagine. Everyone is her best friend.

The other dog, another mixed breed, but looks like a Pomeranian, went to one of the kids at my wife's school. They lost their dog a couple of months ago, and the girl told my wife that her dog was older than her. She's nine, and her parents got the dog right after they got married, So the dog was about 12 years old. To the kids in the family, the dog had always been there, and they took it pretty hard, as did her mom and dad when they had to put her down. The Pom was very playful, and the kids picked her out.

The only criteria I placed on anything was that they select dogs (or cats if they wanted) that were nearing the end of their stays at the pound. No one seemed to have a problem with that, and, in fact, they all thought it was a good idea.

Like I stated, it was $40.00 for each dog, but that included the spaying or neutering, and the first round of shots. The families were given vouchers from the county and could take the dogs to any of the vets on a list of about 20 doctors in the area for the shots and operation.
They also had to sign a permission form that would allow an ASPCA inspector to come by randomly for inspections for the first year. Neither family had an issue with signing that document.

Both dogs went to good homes, and won't just be left outside in the yard. They will be loved, and will be kept in the house with the families.

I'm excited about this. I know we will be doing this again, and again!

hemitheius , frankie : What a GREAT idea :angel4:.

Both of my feline companions are rescues from the local shelter
( L.E.A.F. / A.F.V. = Lake Elsinore Animal Friends / Animal Friends of the Valleys ) , and they've been a part of the family for more than 7 years ; both were tykes when I got them .
Adopting a senior companion is also an excellent gesture . Give that loving cat or dog a loving home during their older years :heart:.
I took in a neighbour's cat back in Octobre 2009 ; a senior kitty whom looked young enough to be a kitten !
"Girlie" was actually 14 years old !
She looked exactly like an African Wild Cat :shock: ( do an internet search to get an idea of how gorgeous that breed is ) .
She took ill after having her for 10 months , but what a fulfilling 10 months she gave my family ; such a loving heart :heart:

One of the nice things about adopting from your local shelter is that , at least in California , there's extensive paperwork to complete , and an interview ; adoption isn't just something arbitrary :thumblef: .

I hope to some day be able to perform a similar act of compassion , as funds become available .

My wife just had the greatest idea ever. Right now in Maricopa County the animal shelters are so overcrowded that adoption fees are only $17. Her idea, go to the animal shelter and instead of adopting (because we already have 4 dogs) to find a few dogs that are close to euthenasea and pay for their adoption fees so some lucky family will get a lifelong friend for $0.

My wife is BADASS

Sounds like this is working out great, for the families Frankie got the dogs for too. The only concern I have is, if a family can't afford the $17 or $40 adoption fee, can they afford the expense of owning a pet? Maybe I am missing something here...

Goldfish, it isnt about not being able to afford. Its about giving a dog who is running out of chances to have a chance before it is euthanized. Sponsoring the adoption fee will give these dogs a second look they may not otherwise have.

Your wife rocks, that is an awesome idea.

All of mine are shelter dogs, from the south.... Costs over $250 to adopt a pet here thats why there are so many un-adopted!

What you are doing is great!
Our familly went and looked at the Mesa shelter today, and will be going to the phoenix one on wednesday looking for our next dog to rescue.

-
Back