Annoying fuel issues

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
I am sick of my Barracuda sitting so I am now driving it to work and back daily unless there are big storms. A couple things are preventing this from being an enjoyable experience (other than the gas mileage but I am definitely OK with that). When you fill it up the pump will not shut off automatically and I always spill some gas down the side of the car. I am getting better at guessing from the sound but I still spill some most times. Is there a fix other than jamming rags in the filler? The other is a non-working gas gauge. The two together make it a bit of a PITA. My gage is stuck at 1/8 tank. I assume this is a ground issue. Where would you go look first. Pictures would be great. Thanks

Well my Scamp does the the same thing with spilling gas down the side of the car. I almost have the same issue with my gas gauge except when I fill mine, it only goes to 3/4 tank and will read empty when after only using 3 gallons.

Sorry I cant help you since IM in the same boat but Im subscribed to learn more!

Simple. Don't fill it next time.

That is why I said the two issues make it a PITA because without a working gas gage it is kind of tough to know how much fuel is in there. I have no idea what mileage I am getting so I overfill.....I try to listen for the rushing fuel coming up the gas filler and get it once in a while but sometimes I second guess myself and splash out comes the gas.

Some of this is nozzles and high pump pressure.

Have you tried different stations?

Does your state have the stupid vapor recovery nozzle boots?

I have one "favorite" station I try 'n use. I can leave it on "high" and most of the time it shuts off without spilling. But I try and "judge" what it will take, and drop the nozzle latch down to med. fill volume at the last. It never spills and I never "top it off."

I listen when I hear gas in the gas neck tube I stop putting the gas in.I think every A body I have ever owned had the same overfill issue.

I appreciate the input. I guess it is just practice. I have been driving this less frequently the last couple of years due to work but decided that was a waste. I will try different stations and get better at listening for the gas coming up the filler neck to get better at anticipating it is full.

Simple. Don't fill it next time.

Yes, and if I want better mileage I can just drive slower:D

My '74 kicks gas out too. I simply attribute it to the design of the filler tube. My brother has the only A-body I've been in recently with a properly working fuel gauge. Mine, even with the highly recommended, new Spectre sender and ground and new tank, still has 11 gallons left in it when it reaches empty.

Mine, even with the highly recommended, new Spectre sender and ground and new tank, still has 11 gallons left in it when it reaches empty.

That is also the sender unit I have, but grounding the tank? I dont recall seeing a spot to ground it. If there is suppose to be one that could be the same issue we are both having with out gauges.

I have heard somewhere in the past that most of the fuel gage issues are caused by a poor ground. I was hoping somebody could post a picture of where that ground is normally broken.

Years ago I took a chunk of the filler pipe out and replaced it with clear fuel safe hose. Would fill it, slowly, with the trunk open. See fuel, stop the pump. Our Fairlane is a rear fill. Fill it up and leave some behind when pulling out of the station.....

-
Back