another ???? about rings

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
hay guys I posted about getting new rings a few weeks ago and since then my buddy asked me why would I buy new rings when the rings on the pistons are still about new only about a total of 100 miles...I took 1 set off the piston for some reason when I took the motor apart but I can get a new set for that piston only if needed...what would you do?????I had the motor honed and new frost plug install and cam bearings since apart thats all....The motor would not run as I thought it would (cam timing/chain problem) but thta was it...so should I just get new for the 1 piston and buy a new cam and lifter set that I want to try, or all new ????I thought I would ask to see what kind of does and dont I get....8) street \ strip motor

Buy the one set, re-install the piston and put it back together. Did you break the rings when you took them off the piston?

I would save the money and reuse the set you have. Unless they want stupid money for a piston set.

hi, you had the bores rehoned ?? if you put used rings back in, it will smoke !!
if you had not rehoned then yes, reuse old rings. I knew a guy done the very same thing and it looked like a yamaha 2 stroke. new ring set is a cheap investment and less problems.

hi, you had the bores rehoned ?? if you put used rings back in, it will smoke !!
if you had not rehoned then yes, reuse old rings. I knew a guy done the very same thing and it looked like a yamaha 2 stroke. new ring set is a cheap investment and less problems.

He probably broke a ring reininstalling them. I've done this a couple of times on real low mileage motors and rehoned the cylinders with no problems.

yea I will check the end gaps before I reinstall I think is like 18/19 for street use n/a or am I wrong......

Ring gap without NOS is .0045 x the bore size for the top ring and .0055 for the second ring. ex. 4" bore x .0045 = .018 top .020 for the second ring

-
Back