Another annoying Craigslist buyer rant

-

340doc

Reaction score
What's with these people who respond to your ad and want to offer you HALF of what your asking without even coming to look at the item! It doesn't even matter if your item is priced below what others are asking for similar items! The latest, I have a Edelbrock Performer intake for sale. I listed it for $85.00. Its blasted and ready to bolt on, no pos. Dude texts me offering $40.00 for it. Told him I'd go to $70.00. No response. Come on man. This also happened with a stove I was selling. Rant over! Have a nice day. O:)

What's with these people who respond to your ad and want to offer you HALF of what your asking without even coming to look at the item! It doesn't even matter if your item is priced below what others are asking for similar items! The latest, I have a Edelbrock Performer intake for sale. I listed it for $85.00. Its blasted and ready to bolt on, no pos. Dude texts me offering $40.00 for it. Told him I'd go to $70.00. No response. Come on man. This also happened with a stove I was selling. Rant over! Have a nice day. O:)

Youre going to get pawn star'd if you're using any sort of online selling website where the potential buyer can talk to you. That's just how things are. I do it on some things just to see if they'd take it :)

racingjunk is the same way. for some reason people think that that no matter what the asking price is the item is open to negotiation at half that price. I would also shift some of that blame on TV shows. Every show on TV depicts that if a person ask for price A you start off with cutting that price in half.
The idea of supply and demand takes a hit when everyone expects stuff at half price and some time half half price.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I understand your frustration, but if you had said yes, I'll take the 40, then he would have gotten a great deal.

I recently found a Snap On tool box on there, they wanted 600 for it which was a great deal in itself. I talked with the guy a bit, went and looked at it and offered him 300, he took it.

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 335
Nothing ventured nothing gained. I understand your frustration, but if you had said yes, I'll take the 40, then he would have gotten a great deal.

I recently found a Snap On tool box on there, they wanted 600 for it which was a great deal in itself. I talked with the guy a bit, went and looked at it and offered him 300, he took it.

Wow, did you have your mask on when you talked to him? Because you stole that.....good deal

That's just the breaks of the game,as you can see- lots of FABO guys on Craigslist!!!

CL is a good place to get your feelings hurt or get your fuse lit so you gotta approach it that way. If you don't put any emotion into it it's a great place to sell and get great deals!

I know, just caught me at a bad time or something. I've had many good sales and met some good people.

I know, just caught me at a bad time or something. I've had many good sales and met some good people.

at least you didn't agree to a price and then he showed up with $20 less then the agreed upon amount.

or the famous, "on my way" then no call no show.

Just double your asking price so they offer what you want for it....

It is irritating, I've sold some things on there and people have done the same to me.

Some things I still have, because it wasn't the money I was after, just didn't need the item. But, like I said, it doesn't hurt to try, nothing ventured nothing gained. I have found that a lot of people need the money and they will sell if someone shows up with cash.

I have found many great deals on CL, and bought literally thousands of dollars worth of stuff for pennies on the dollar.

I bought an LD340 intake and a Weiand 8007 Action Plus for smallblocks on there for 50 bucks a piece.

Yeah, and I got an LD4B intake for $50. Good shape too.

It is irritating, I've sold some things on there and people have done the same to me.

Some things I still have, because it wasn't the money I was after, just didn't need the item. But, like I said, it doesn't hurt to try, nothing ventured nothing gained. I have found that a lot of people need the money and they will sell if someone shows up with cash.

I have found many great deals on CL, and bought literally thousands of dollars worth of stuff for pennies on the dollar.

I bought an LD340 intake and a Weiand 8007 Action Plus for smallblocks on there for 50 bucks a piece.

That's the thing, show up with cash and haggle. Don't low ball me in a text without even seeing the item. Good deal on those intakes by the way.

That's the thing, show up with cash and haggle. Don't low ball me in a text without even seeing the item. Good deal on those intakes by the way.

Exactly, usually when I talk to someone I might ask if the price is at least negotiable before venturing to see it.

I gave up trying to sell mopar parts in my area on Craigslist, just an annoyance of dumb questions and people wasting time. Dustin

If they're wasting your time in a text, don't respond. I've had some clowns try the same crap with me when I have sold stuff on CL. Keep a positive attitude and it won't bother you. You have the power to just say no thanks, move on.

Wow Bruce,
That's fricken criminal!

Make that THREE criminals on the loose.

Ha Ha Ha.........Helluva deal!

Attachments

• cartoon-prisoner-behind-bars-10416629.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 240
I just had the same thing happen this morning. The $300 handles I'm selling for $180. Guy offers a $100. Tells me I'm over priced. Selling stuff is a pain. Can't wait to finish selling what I have left and be done with it.

They are flippers and swap meeters, they try to get it cheap and sell it for more. I ignore them or just counter and say its firm. Just some my wife's car, asked $7000, guy offered me $4500.......google his phone number and he was a car flipper with tons of complaints.

Well this works two ways. I didn't exactly "offer" Some guy up past Deer Park---a fair, irritating drive....had a junk pickup for sale, for months. Then it popped up on CL lower price so I called him up, asked him about it, tried to find out the "good, the bad, the ugly." So I straight out ASKED him, "what's the bottom line?" He said "well, the junk yard offered him 550. You show up with 600 cash........." AND I DID

Some guy called me clear from Seattle on my Honda CT-90, offered me a REAL low ball. I told him you need to come look at it. I told him I paid more than he offered BEFORE I bought new tires, carb, battery, etc etc. Suddenly, not very interested. Well, "OK."

What's with these people who respond to your ad and want to offer you HALF of what your asking without even coming to look at the item! QUOTE]

This.
Everyone's time is valuable to them.
Cars are a little different than other things. I wouldn't offer anything without looking at it.
Show up. It shows you may not be a tire kicker.
But I never ask more about price on any type of item other than if they are negotiable.
And I only may ask that if there is large distance involved.
"I have to come from........."
If the seller doesn't understand that, I probably don't want to deal with them anyway.

-
Back