Another Cam Question

-

tyler1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to purchase the top end power package through Hughes Engines. I spoke with their tech and I can get whatever cam I want with the package. I have a fresh low compression 360 - 727 with a 3000 stall with 3.91 sure grip out back. Do you think this cam would be too much without 10/1 compression?

Hughes Engines

Uuuuh... Post, more information... I would ask ....?...post more about your combination, before you pull the high dollar trigger....

The heads are off the shelf 63cc Edelbrock RPMs, the short block is just your average low compression 360, Im basing this off the previous owners information. It is currently in the car and running so I have been reluctant to pull it apart until I plan to change it. I am assuming I would gain a tad bit of compression with the head change, my concern is the cam being too large without the compression to back it up.

Hughes Engines

If you already have it in and running, see how it drives. There are many things to check to make sure you are getting all the power the combo is capable of. Timing curve, jetting, cam installed cl, to name some. After checking all these things, if you think it is soft on the bottom end, you can raise compression if needed by cutting the heads some, advance the cam, then as a last resort, consider a different cam.

Last edited:
Run it! Id go for it with that cam. Even if its the worst dished 360 piston, run a steel shim headgasket, and the compression should be around 9 to 1.

You have factory iron heads on the engine now? See what your cranking pressure is, that would get you headed in the right direction in picking a cam

I am betting it will make for a weak torque curve till 4500 rpm, compared to a smaller( shorter duration) cam. Since you don't have a real loose converter and may have Low compression, I would look at a more conservative cam to keep the torque up in the lower rpms. How much shorter, I am not sure. This cam might be ok if it is a high rate of lift cam, which has shorter seat to seat timing. What are the full specs on the cam??

The cam specs are within the first link, for some reason it won't let me copy and past them into here. It is mostly a street car so like you mentioned, I was worried with it being a dog off the line.

I took some time and thought about the combo, and edited my earlier post.

Are you drag racing the car or cruising or what? The answer depends a lot on the intended use. If it is street/strip, expand a bit more on that term and what it means to you.

Static CR with a .028" thick 1121G head gasket works out to 8.6; if it has a standard Felpro 8553PT gaskets SCR is 8.25. Not horrible but still low... Making a guess of 275 to 278 degrees as an advertised duration, DCR will be 6.95 or 6.65 with those 2 head gaskets respectively. Not a torquey street engine setup by any means. But you have a 3000 RPM stall TC.

So again, it depends on the application details on how well this wil work or not...

Id run it. Even it f the pistons were stock.

4.30 gear will get'er moving. anything less it will be soggy at the bottom. cylinder head flow is your friend with low compression, but you need rpm to make it work.

4.30 gear will get'er moving. anything less it will be soggy at the bottom. cylinder head flow is your friend with low compression, but you need rpm to make it work.
I'm thinkin 4.10's for the street, but 3.91 will get him by....for a test run lol

The heads are off the shelf 63cc Edelbrock RPMs, the short block is just your average low compression 360, Im basing this off the previous owners information. It is currently in the car and running so I have been reluctant to pull it apart until I plan to change it. I am assuming I would gain a tad bit of compression with the head change, my concern is the cam being too large without the compression to back it up.

Hughes Engines
1) Running too much cam for the squeeze narrows the torque curve, as noted, You get a soggy boggy bottom end.
2) A more suitable stall on the converter is the fix, not gears. Steep gears only cover up the lack of launch torque, and shorten the duration You stay there. Converter will put
Your mill in the dynamic "happy zone"(used to be "up on the cam"), and You should be able to bust out w 3.23's if You wish.
3) You will always lose some power switching to alu-minimum, unless a bump in squeeze goes along with it. If the new heads really out-flow the old ones, You may not
realize what You've lost in thermodynamics, but it's there just the same.
4) The benefit is, even w/o pistons to achieve the squish & fast-burn the Eddys have to offer, You should be WELL out of the detonation zone, maybe on pump regular.

-
Back