ANOTHER COOLING ISSUE

-

EDMOPAR

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 76 Plymouth duster/72 340 car, just finished restoring and find out I have a cooling issue, I have been through the heating/cooling posts, my engine is .30 over,360 heads, mild cam, just a street car, I have a (new) Champion 22" radiator/3-row with (2) 10" electric fans that pull, running a 160 degree stant thermostat, stock water pump, 11# cap that came with radiator,fan kit/relay, fans come on at 180, temp continues to rise at idle to over 220 and going down highway at 55, about 2200 rpm (3:55) gears its running about 210, I can cut the heater on and get it to 205, does anyone have this setup and is it working for them, I have read a lot of negative reviews on this setup, I have played with timing and full flow thermostat with no change, timing is now 14 initial and 28 total, I have a Milodon 16250 water pump that I haven't installed yet, this has become a pain, I can take the cap off and when the thermostat is open the water is moving, I can idle up a little and the water moves faster, would like some friendly advice, thanks, Edward

Hi, I have a 76 Plymouth duster/72 340 car, just finished restoring and find out I have a cooling issue, I have been through the heating/cooling posts, my engine is .30 over,360 heads, mild cam, just a street car, I have a (new) Champion 22" radiator/3-row with (2) 10" electric fans that pull, running a 160 degree stant thermostat, stock water pump, 11# cap that came with radiator,fan kit/relay, fans come on at 180, temp continues to rise at idle to over 220 and going down highway at 55, about 2200 rpm (3:55) gears its running about 210, I can cut the heater on and get it to 205, does anyone have this setup and is it working for them, I have read a lot of negative reviews on this setup, I have played with timing and full flow thermostat with no change, timing is now 14 initial and 28 total, I have a Milodon 16250 water pump that I haven't installed yet, this has become a pain, I can take the cap off and when the thermostat is open the water is moving, I can idle up a little and the water moves faster, would like some friendly advice, thanks, Edward
Maybe needs a bigger radiator I use a 26 in on my 340 never been an issue when the thermostat is open and it's flowing stick a thermometer in is and see if the gage is correct or maybe u still have and air pocket someplace?? Unsure

Toss the electric fans they should be outlawed - go back to factory setup with shroud and a clutch fan

160 is too cold a T-Stat. Use a 195 and it will keep the water in the heads longer and allow your system to operate as designed. Your electric fans may or maynot work for this application but the cooling system needs to cycle and keep pressure in the block. You will have to experiment with the on and off temp settings. Don't be surprised if the temp actually averages about 175 with the 195 T-Stat.

Last edited:
Your 22 inch rad will work with an oem all steel 7-blade fan on a Ford thermostatic clutch. You absolutely must have a functional shroud. Any pump with an anti-cav plate is a bonus. Make sure the anti-collapse spring is in the lower hose. Do not use any of those flexi-ribbed hoses;molded oem-type only.If you go to a 26" oem type rad, you can probably run a 195 hi-flo stat, a 7 pound cap and 50/50 coolant.You can probably also put the timing back into it; 28* is waaay short,even for aluminum heads.
How can I be so sure? Cuz thats what I run on my 360.And my minimum engine temp runs 205.And I think, short of loosing coolant,she is impossible to overheat now.Forget about the few ponies you might lose at 6500.If the engine runs hot, and cooks, you will lose a lot more.
At highway speed the air flow through the rad will shut the clutch off and it will "freewheel"
Other than Ford thermostatic clutches are known to work too.I use the Ford one Cuz that sucker works.Mine is on its 12th year.
I have nothing good to say about electric fans on streeters.
As a streeter with 3.55s hiway cruising will be easy-peasy.So will be city, and parades.You can loan your baby out to your son on prom-nite and be sure it will not overheat, cuz you know he's gonna wail on it!
At least mine did.And that was ok,cuz that's what I built it for.
We only had a couple of rules;1) you break it, you fix it,and 2) you buy your own gas, and 3) your tickets are yours, and 4) YOU pick your spots. Don't let your passengers push you into doing things you don't want to do, and 5) if you cannot have it home when you say you will, I expect you're dead or in hospital.So I'll be calling around.
One time he brought it home smelling like an ashtray. New rule:

Last edited:
-
Back