Another, Damn it, horsepower guess ??

-
What are you doing for tires and traction?
I mean if you spin to 95 mph some punk in a modest 340 WITH traction, is gonna be on yur azz the whole way. And if he has a stout 360 WITH traction, you won't be able to keep up around town, in anything but a straight line.
Traction will be key.

How do you plan on using that nitrous?
at low rpm?
at Part Throttle?
With a 3500TC, there is no bottom end. Or are you calling 3500 the bottom? Wouldn't it be easier and less hard on parts to just downshift? I mean yur gonna be running 4-series gears anyway, right? Maybe 5-series even.
I don't think you can use nitrous like a super/turbo charger; it's more or less a WOT thing......
IMHO, it might make more sense to tame that beast with less cam, less TC, and get the bottom end that way, and save the nitrous for the track....... sorta like most other guys do.
I mean you got some great ideas, but not very street practical.
Maybe on a 318....... it only takes 350 hp to have some pretty good streetfun. and maybe 400 ftlbs or a tad more with hiway gears.
But traction is always an issue.

Post #48: 'Anything you can to to a TQ you can do a Holley'.

Well, no actually.....

These are things you can to a TQ that you cannot do a Holley:
- change the air valve [ AV ] spring rate/adjustment
- change the AV kick
- change the AV fully open position
- remove the baffle in the secondaries. When the baffle was removed on a Hemi with a box manifold, HP increased by 30.
- change secondary blade angle @ WOT. Because of the huge 2.25" sec blades, they have a profound affect on air flow & distribution.
- the TQ is the only 4bbl that I am aware of [ don't think the QJ has this feature ] that has a mechanical link to primary jet enrichment. The step up rod on the Tee hanger. And it is also adjustable. Increasing throttle opening to a larger throttle opening has a fractional time advantage in getting additional fuel flowing for the increased load. This, coupled with the convoluted path that additional power valve fuel in a Holley has to travel, means less chance of a bog with a TQ.

Post #49. Holleys rich at idle. Yeah, they win economy contests all the time...........

Well, no actually.....

- change the AV kick
- remove the baffle in the secondaries. When the baffle was removed on a Hemi with a box manifold, HP increased by 30.
- change secondary blade angle @ WOT. Because of the huge 2.25" sec blades, they have a profound affect on air flow & distribution.
- the TQ is the only 4bbl that I am aware of [ don't think the QJ has this feature ] that has a mechanical link to primary jet enrichment. The step up rod on the Tee hanger. And it is also adjustable. Increasing throttle opening to a larger throttle opening has a fractional time advantage in getting additional fuel flowing for the increased load. This, coupled with the convoluted path that additional power valve fuel in a Holley has to travel, means less chance of a bog with a TQ.

Post #49. Holleys rich at idle. Yeah, they win economy contests all the time...........

You can change the rate fo secondary opening on a holley. Since it has an accelerator pump on the secondaries you can open it as fast as you want so there’s that.

And everything else you mention has to do with the air valve secondary. So who cares if you have an accelerator pump on the secondary side? I know I don’t.

If a Holley doesn’t have a clean, crisp idle and get decent fuel mileage that’s on the guy doing the tuning, not the carb or the design of it.

FWIW there must be 20 or more different booster option for the Holley stuff. You don’t have that with anything else and if you want to say the TQ (or any other carb) has the perfect booster you’re just talking out of your hat. Just that alone makes the Holley much more versatile. It also intimidates most guys.

This is coming to me, I think a an already package deal. I am kind of thinking that less will actually be more.
What I really want is to have it pull like a freight train from 2500-6000
I could sell the roller and rockers get a flat tappet cam and still have money left . From what I can tell this custom groundvcam with rockers retails for around 1200. I could get at least 550 for it and that would definitely get me a cam kit, cam, valve springs, retainers, locks, pushrods , lifters etc.
I run a stroker solid roller 236-242 @50 for the street trust me it runs like a freight train 345 rear lsd 904 3000 custom stall off idle to 5700 . It’s quick and the torque is a rush . Shifting @ 4500rpm keeping it in the torque band your hauling ***. No need of spray unless your on the track .

Well, no actually.....

- change the AV kick

If your Holley is rich you don't know how to tune one. It's that simple. IMO, if you want a hot rod and are worried about fuel economy you need to take up a different hobby or spend the $$ on a good fuel injection system.

My street/strip 69 Dart has a 434" small block, a decent sized solid roller, 263/271 @ .050", .711/.719" at the retainers, ported Indy heads and intake, 11.2-1 compression and runs on pump 93. The carb Has a BLP BX4 1.590" venturi main body, 1050-1100cfm according to BLP. This car gets driven on the street a lot and runs mid 6.20's @ 110 mph in the 1/8. It hasn't had the plugs changed in over three years. I don't know how many miles per gallon or gallons per mile because it doesn't matter, if it did I'd have a Prius.

Thanks everyone I learned a bunch. So much so that I didn’t buy the stuff and for now I will work with what I have and just install another cam in my 360 mag
If your Holley is rich you don't know how to tune one. It's that simple. IMO, if you want a hot rod and are worried about fuel economy you need to take up a different hobby or spend the $$ on a good fuel injection system.

My street/strip 69 Dart has a 434" small block, a decent sized solid roller, 263/271 @ .050", .711/.719" at the retainers, ported Indy heads and intake, 11.2-1 compression and runs on pump 93. The carb Has a BLP BX4 1.590" venturi main body, 1050-1100cfm according to BLP. This car gets driven on the street a lot and runs mid 6.20's @ 110 mph in the 1/8. It hasn't had the plugs changed in over three years. I don't know how many miles per gallon or gallons per mile because it doesn't matter, if it did I'd have a Prius.
711/719?that sounds like a beast, I bet everyone on two block can gear you

Geez, now I know why my 418 isn't what I thought that it would be. It's the cam, valve springs, pistons and carburetors. I guess that I will just have to be happy with the way it is, someone will always be faster!

20210417_141913.jpg

20210419_212043.jpg

-
Back