another dash pad topic :(

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
Well I'm ready to install my dash assembly and windshield minus the dash pad in my 71 Scamp. I took it today to a few automotive upholstery shops and got the same answer at all three, "Won't even bother touching it!" From what they have told me, it is vacuum set at the factory and they could never make it look the same. has anyone ever had their dash pad recovered at a shop before or is it in my best interest to just buy new?

Mine was recovered, hate the way it looks.....for lack of a better word it is puffy....mine is going to be redone when I get back to it....Will look for a picture of it...

Not the best pictures of it.....

Attachments

• 102_0043 (Medium).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 451
  • 102_0044 (Medium).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 451
I have to agree that it doesn't look great. I just want a vinyl recover. I don't care if the grain is exact. I just want it to look good and last the 30 - 40 years my current one did.

Mine was in bad shape. There was next to nothing but the metal frame. Think I might have a picture of it somewhere.

Only picture I had of it. When the guy got done taking it apart he said it was just the bare frame....

Attachments

• IMG_2260 (Medium).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 415
What I think works well are the dash caps, my Dusters pad was bad, so I just picked up a decent pad and put a cap over it. Looks almost identical to original in texture, and color is close on the black. The caps are plastic, so you do not have the same give if you touch it, but that was acceptable to me given the cost of the alternative.

I just happen to have posted a pad for sale today, and will begin responding to PM's when I get home from work later today. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=242566

Send it to Just Dashes and have it done right. I've heard that the way they do it, it will outlast the factory dash. Something about thermal expansion and blahblahblah.

From their website:
Just Dashes uses a closed cell high density polyethylene foam in combination with a thicker gauge (.045) vinyl that makes for a superior quality part, better then the original. It will withstand decades of harsh sun and blazing heat and will not crack. The reason being is that the new closed cell foam expands and contracts at the same rate as the new vinyl, which is formulated with modern day UV inhibitors. Original dash pad foam was porous and open cell causing it to expand and contract with temperature changes creating stress cracks when the surface of the vinyl skin became brittle.

Send it to Just Dashes and have it done right. I've heard that the way they do it, it will outlast the factory dash. Something about thermal expansion and blahblahblah.

From their website:
Just Dashes uses a closed cell high density polyethylene foam in combination with a thicker gauge (.045) vinyl that makes for a superior quality part, better then the original. It will withstand decades of harsh sun and blazing heat and will not crack. The reason being is that the new closed cell foam expands and contracts at the same rate as the new vinyl, which is formulated with modern day UV inhibitors. Original dash pad foam was porous and open cell causing it to expand and contract with temperature changes creating stress cracks when the surface of the vinyl skin became brittle.
Just Dashes is going to redo mine some year. They told me to enclose a piece of tubing the same size as my cage so they will leave enough room for it....I never did pay the guy that "fixed" mine....

Just Dashes is going to redo mine some year. They told me to enclose a piece of tubing the same size as my cage so they will leave enough room for it....I never did pay the guy that "fixed" mine....

So they have it and it hasn't been done?

I know this isn't going to work on some vehicles but the object is to save the original foam itself and recover it with new upholstery and this is what I've done to my 69 GMC, photo isn't that perfect yet the work is.

back when I had my '68 in the 80's... I took mine out of the dart.

I used body filler to plug up the cracks. smoothed it out. went to a craft store got a large piece of gray leather. and some black leather dye.

I glued it along one edge then stretched glued it on the other edge, then tightened down the ends. after it was all dry I dyed it black. it came out great. cost me maybe $15 at the time lol.

I used to think the caps were ugh until I saw one. To me it would be a viable a-body option and a cheap one at that for $60.00 range. They do not look bad and are properly textured. Then just wait until the one you want/need comes up for the right price.

What I think works well are the dash caps, my Dusters pad was bad, so I just picked up a decent pad and put a cap over it. Looks almost identical to original in texture, and color is close on the black. The caps are plastic, so you do not have the same give if you touch it, but that was acceptable to me given the cost of the alternative.

Rge cap can look fine if properly installed. It will last a long time too.

I have this 1 if your interested but you'll have to dye it. $75 + shipping unless you have something to trade that I need.

Attachments

• Picture 1311.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Picture 1310.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 348
  • Picture 1309.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Picture 1308.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Picture 1307.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 356
  • Picture 1306.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 370
I m in the need a new dash boat. I think i m gonna cover mine. Watched a video on youtube. I almost bought a nice original looking black pad a few years ago at the nats. Held it 3 different times and couldn t bring myself to spend 2 bills on it. Glad i didn t cause the last time i picked it up...i flipped it and realized it was just recovered with thin material. Looked damn good too.

I got a dash top from Dante's, haven't painted it or put it on yet. It fits well and has a nice grain texture. And the price was right, I think about $60. Just Dashes would have been my first choice, but price and wait time killed it for me.

I like mine. It had a big crack in the middle and the corners were crushed. He cut back the warped areas added some kind of sandable foam and recovered it. It was either $120 or $150 for the top and bottom which included him removing and reinstalling it.

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 326
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 340
I have this 1 if your interested but you'll have to dye it. $75 + shipping unless you have something to trade that I need.

Thanks for the offer but it's starting to crack and is only going to get worse. Again thanks, but I'm gonna hold out for a mint one or a place that will fix mine.

I like mine. It had a big crack in the middle and the corners were crushed. He cut back the warped areas added some kind of sandable foam and recovered it. It was either $120 or $150 for the top and bottom which included him removing and reinstalling it.

Who did your work?

Mike Harris, a local guy that works out of his house.

That white gauge panel looks nice. Who makes it?

I wonder if anyone has tried the ones sold by B/E&A Restorations? They have them listed for $225. The only other alternative looks to be Year One for over $300.

Mike Harris, a local guy that works out of his house.

Too bad your on the other side of the country. Shipping would put it the price range of a repop.

I just did this one. My original was beyond repair. Found this one in a yard. It was similar to one Sedanman showed. I tried using an actual vinyl repair kit where you melt it in with little grain swatches, but it wasnt working for me. The adhesive wasnt sticking and then the filler was sticking to the pattern better than the it did to the pad....

I filled the cracks with ShoeGoo. First forced it under any loose edges and clamped, taped etc till I got it set right. Once that was dry, I built it up with more goo. trimmed a little with a razor blade and sanded it till close. Finished with SEM Cordovan Brown.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 315
2 Words "Dash Cap"
It's best thing since sliced bread.
My Dart has one installed but you would never be able to tell. Also have my Sun-Pro Tach mounted on the bottom screw of the A-Pillar Trim and it kind of rest on the pad slightly for the right angle to use it and doesn't leave a depression in it like the bare dash pads would.
I would post some pictures but am not able to access my computer as I am on vacation.

-
Back