Another Drag Racing Giant Gone - Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins Made His Last Pass Today At 81

-
Thanks for all of your contributions and innovations , Grumpy :burnout: !!
I've always liked your Vegas and Camaros , and of course your '65 RO51 Satellite :viking: .

You can't feel sorry for him ,he lead a life doing what he loved and what he was great at! as with the passing of him and other legends, it reminds us old timers of a life that is passing in to history, OURS! I had the chance to meet him in the early 70's and a few more time through the years. RIP.

a great man and very kind,at da grove da grumpy let me work in his pit and had a good time and that night we drank a few[alot]of beers,rip grumpy a fine man.

My Grumpy pic (R.I.P.)

You make the caption.

DaGrump70s.jpg

<Inbest American Indian voice> Hmm Kimosabi! Many horses...coming fast....sound like 426 of them.

RIP Grumpy. He may be gone but he left a lot of memories for all of us. He and Dave Strickler made York US30 the premier drag strip in the early 1960s.
A true legend.

RIP Grumpy. He gave me some fond memories when I was a kid. I remember seeing him race once in St. Louis ion the 70's and he would up in the sand pit at the end of the track. Can't remember if it was the same year as the sand trap or not but the other memory was him having his car stolen, truck and all while he was here for the races.

Even though he was a Chevy guy he was awesome cause he was cool with the Mopar drivers. RIP

Bill started with the hemi and ended with the hemi I am going to his shop tomorrow.I will more info. Mark

my dad raced with him at numidia raceway way back when . and being from pa . i have heard all the stories . he will be missed .

I've been a Mopar man all my life of 64 years, but always had the utmost respect for that man. RIP Grump!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJpnzIZjY7E"]Bill Jenkins Memorial.mov - YouTube[/ame]

Ah, yes, "Grumpy" was a real character back in the old days. I still have somewhere a car mag from the early 1970s on which the cover claimed their first centerfold spread. Of course, it was "Da Grump" laid out on a bear skin wearing nothing but sneakers, socks, blue Jockey shorts, and his famous cigar.

-
Back