Another encounter with a "youngster"

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Nothing mean ment by the term youngster.

Going to our monthly MoPar meeting, we stopped at a Subway shop for a sandwich.

I go in and there are two 19-20 ish guys working the counter.

"Cool car, What is it, A GTO or something?"

No, its a 69 Dodge Coronet Superbee.

"hmm, never heard of that, it is fast"?

yeah, probably, never really take it over 75-80. This seems to be one of the standard question from a young auto enthisiast.

"what engine is in it"?

It has a 440 in it.

"440? Whats that mean"? deep breath here.

440 cubic inches, ummm 7.4? liters.

"oh wow, mines only 4.2" he didnt say what he drove.

"how much power does it have"

Probably 400, a stock 440 had from 350-390, it has a 850 Holley and headers with 2 straight 3 inch pipes.

He looked like he didnt understand this.

His buddie came back and general whispering all around "400 wow" etc

"Will it smoke them good"?

Sure

"do me a favor" what that. "do a burn out when you leave" What is so exciting about this? Guess when its not your equipment it doesnt matter.

Hmm depends what traffic is like.

So we leave and traffic is backed up anyway, so i just motor off.

At least they are trying to learn about real cars.

Well your response is alot better than an old freinds of mine. Driving a 66 Charger, a kid leans out the window in slow traffic asking what it is. My freind gets angry and screams, "It's a flippin helicopter you idiot!"

I think it great when the younger peoples ask questions. Just last night I had to converter an engines CID to Ltrs. lol

It goes both ways. I drove my Dart to DQ one time. There was two older guys in there. One asked.

"Why did you put them hood scoops and hood pins on it?"

After I told him it came from the factory like that he looked at me funny and said.

"No way them Darts are just grandma cars they never came like that"

He also did not want to here that it has a 340 in it After all every one knows a Dart never came with one of them. So he says any way. LOL

You handled that very well. Sometimes you have to be the teacher and maybe, just maybe, they will have more respect for, like you said,' real cars.

You handled that very well. Sometimes you have to be the teacher and maybe, just maybe, they will have more respect for, like you said,' real cars.

I hate the people that argue with you more, saying that they never made "that" car, makes you want to carry around a build sheet.

Cuda, i always will talk to someone who is interested. They probably get blown off by enough people anyway, maybe if they have someone spend some time explaining the cars to them we can eventually convert them, woo hoo.

Good Job!

My favorite is when you pop the hood....they are amazed at "ALL THE ROOM" to work on the engine!

Aloha!

I treat them just how they treat me.

Just last Sunday at a car show, this group of kids came by and was looking at the cuda as I was walking up to the car to leave the show.

One kid had a real big mouth and was talking some kind of smack to his buddy and I just caught the tail end of the conversation which was: "Nuh-uh, a 1970 'cuda is a H-body, and this car right here is a B-body!" (67 barracuda) mind you.

I had to say something, so I said" No, this car is an-A body, you see those big muscle cars over there next to tpiece of crap chevrolet's, the sweet, black coronet and the super bee? Those are B-bodies."

All three of the big mouth kids buddies all went "Ahhhhhh..you just got owned Charlie."

The big mouth kid got all embarrassed and could not think of anything else stupid to say.

Oh, by the way, the piece of crap Chevrolets belonged to two of my buddies that were with me, ha, ha....believe me, it was due because they rag my car all the time.

LOL!

Drove with a buddy once to the local wrecking yard in his (once mine) '71 Charger. An older guy walks up and says "Hey that's a cool Torino!" Guess they come in all ages.

LOL, I never take a guess, I just ask if I can't see the name plate. Better to anouce your lack of knowleadge than scream stupidity as a know it all.

My gold truck sounds like a truck shouldn't, and every tom, dick, and Harry, asks me, does it got a 440???
I say no, it's got a 390.....

They look puzzled for a sec, and say, ohhh, yeahhh, those were good motors....

Then usually have a story about how dad had an old dodge pickup with a 390.......

My favorite tho, is when I pull up to the diesel pump, cummins rattling, 5" stacks coated with soot, and they ask me, "Is that a diesel"?

I hate the people that argue with you more, saying that they never made "that" car, makes you want to carry around a build sheet.
I once got into an argument (well, almost got into an argument. I managed to control myself before I got mad lol) with a guy over my 'Plymouth' front license plate...because my car isn't a Plymouth.

I hate it when people say "Is that a nova? my dad had one of those".No retard its a duster.

This is a real conversation I had with a guy at the gas station.
guy- "Hey nice nova kid its a 74 isnt it".
me - No its a 72 and its a duster.
guy- "oh yeah a dodge duster my dad had one when i was younger. Whats it got a 396"
me- No a 318 396 is chevy this is mopar
Guy- Are u sure my dads was 396
me- ya im sure u fu#kin retard its my car and its a plymouth not a dodge.
guy- your the fu#kin retard you dont know what ur talking about
me- hahahahahaha your right guy you know more hey what you got in ur van a 454 thats a toyota engine right?

its kinda funny, everyone around me always know its a barracuda, they just dont know what year, my most common question is "what year is that barracuda?" sometimes people say "yeah i had a 63.." i just let them think that and not bother correcting them, they are always older than me and i dont want to look like a prick lol.

sounds just like the time a guy asked what I had under my hood.

Conversation:
guy: I just saw your car over in the parkin' lot. Looks nice.
Me: thanks I appreciate it.
guy: that has to have a huge engine in it I know it does.
Me: laughing...I just like to convince people I do, it's actually a slant six.
guy: Oh man that's one of those big hemi's right.
Me: (trying not to make him sound ignorant) um no sir, it's a 225 slant six.

I was in the staging lane when a younger guy walked by on his cell phone giving the caller his location, "Im next to the Yellow?" five seconds of nothing and he gave up and said "a White Mustang", The guy in front of me. He never came up to ask what kind of car it was.

People are funny... if I dont know something I always ask people... I still have a lot to learn, but the older folks at the shows are usually surprised when they come up to my dad to ask questions about the roadrunner and I start answering all of them, lol.

We don't mind the people that ask questions, or even if they are wrong we correct them nicely...

But you guys are right, those guys that try to tell you about your car... man we hate those.

And apparently EVERYONE and their brother had a roadrunner just like it.... (keep in mind our car is a real 69 hemi 4/speed car...)

-
Back