Another head/intake question

-

9teen7tSwinger

Reaction score
I have read many threads about edelbrock heads and pros/cons, etc. However, I want to make sure I can move forward with a purchase. Some people can buy whatever and build away, I will be buying part by part. I currently have a 73 340 with a six pack setup. I want to eventually build a stroker, but current plans are to change the heads. I am looking at the 60779 close chamber 63cc aluminum head. Can I use these with the six pack setup? I know I will have to check the pistons, but will get the correct gasket to make sure everything is kosher. Also, can I keep the stock rocker setup temporarily?

Motor was rebuilt prior to me purchasing the vehicle, but it was built to stock as far as I can tell. The builder is local so I was going to see what they could tell me.

I have read many threads about edelbrock heads and pros/cons, etc. However, I want to make sure I can move forward with a purchase. Some people can buy whatever and build away, I will be buying part by part. I currently have a 73 340 with a six pack setup. I want to eventually build a stroker, but current plans are to change the heads. I am looking at the 60779 close chamber 63cc aluminum head. Can I use these with the six pack setup? I know I will have to check the pistons, but will get the correct gasket to make sure everything is kosher. Also, can I keep the stock rocker setup temporarily?

Motor was rebuilt prior to me purchasing the vehicle, but it was built to stock as far as I can tell. The builder is local so I was going to see what they could tell me.

yes..the 6 pac intake will fit the eddy heads...a 73 340 if original will have pistons down in the bore..and the close chamber heads will work fine.

stock rockers will work with the eddy heads....you did not mention what camshaft you are using...the only problem with stock rockers is the pushrod pad on the rockers are thin and you might start punching the pushrod through the rockers there...

I have no idea about the cam. I need to find out if I can find the previous owner or if the engine builder retained information. I'm assuming if I take it apart the camshaft would have some type of identification on it...? I was planning on leaving that for now. I believe the cam is slightly more than stock just based on the lope of idle and general driving. Just realized Pep Boys has 20% off until the 10th so it is $1330 for the pair and free shipping...

yes.....you can but some people are going to tell you to use the head gasket recommend by edelbrock ...fel pro 1008...which is .038 thick.

That is a good gasket to use and a thinner one will raise the compression ratio a minor amount not worth the time to print if your pistons are in the hole.

Upgraded rockers from Hughes engines gets my vote for good and affordable units.

The cam shaft may not have an identifying marker on it.

Reading this has me tempted to consider the eddies as well. I've been planning to do RHS heads, with a stock 5.9 Magnum shortblock. Then the plan changed to doing a piston upgrade to allow for a more aggressive cam. With a piston change I could up the compression to make the eddies a good option, and with that discount it gets reasonable. Pep Boys does not list the 61775 for the 5.9 but I suspect they could get them.

For whatever reason, I'm drawn to the aluminum option. From what I can tell, performance would be about the same.

Do you plan to have yours gone through or just run them OOTB?

I'll probably do my own visual inspection for oddities but will then just bolt them on and go. May not even notice any changes but it is a step in the right direction.

-
Back