Another "Is this still available?" Response

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I just posted a seven year old, 17 foot RV trailer for sale on facebook marketplace. Ten minutes later I rv'd my first so-called response: "Is this still available?. Well, duh, I just posted it minutes ago! I heard somewhere awhile back that responses like that are not genuine, although I don't know what the problem or scam could possibly be. Anyone else know about this kind of stuff when trying to sell something? Thank you.

P.S. Just got a second response, the same wording from someone else.

It is a generic automated reply button on the ad
In other words, it may very well be an interested party, but someone too lazy to type in their own personal message? And why wouldn't one say instead: "Hey, I'm interested in your item, when can I inspect it please?"

I like the ones that say "Is this item for sale?" Scammers are so lazy they just send out a blanket response. I just delete them and move on. If it really was an interested party, they'll message back.

I posted a Parts Wanted ad on Marketplace and the scammers try to direct you to their FB page by saying "These guys have the part you need". I usually just put a laughing emoji and move on.

Don’t respond at all, they’re trying to get your email address. When I write an ad, I always write in “reply to this ad with a personal saying.” Like what color is it? How old is it? What’s your best offer?

Its been my experience that the main reason for those responses is people using cell phones. That "reply" button is right where you swipe. Ive done it to people a hundred times as I've had it happen to me often as well.
Doesn't necessarily mean its a scam. Probably just someone scrolling and accidentally hits that button.
If I'm genuinely interested in an item, I ask a real question. I have had it happen where people use the button for a legit reason too though.
And I think there is a button that lets you respond with the automated response, "yes it is. are you still interested?"
Just one guy's two cents. lol.

You got me right there Troy... I'm speechless..lmao

VERY common craigslist scam attempt.

FB is stupid for having that as a pre-worded response.

It is illogical. Doesn't speak well for a company based on logic and technology.

VERY common craigslist scam attempt.

FB is stupid for having that as a pre-worded response.

It is illogical. Doesn't speak well for a company based on logic and technology.
Depends on what you believe the purpose of fakebook is

Not really.

To have a legitimate preset response that is worded exactly like a common scam response on a competing platform is...

...stupid.

Now I think we can all agree THIS is a scam….:lol:

IMG_2340.jpeg

How many red flags-

1- piss poor grammar
2- unrealistically low price
3- beyond grammar, the diction is atrocious, and not even coherent.
4- eager to ship an item that likely costs WAY more to ship than they are asking for the part

-
Back