another j head question

-
Yeah, I'm a little concerned too. I'm going to pick up the heads today and hopefully I will be able to do some checks this weekend. I already have pushrods and adjustable rockers for the new geometry. I will post some picks of the heads later this evening.

Here are the final specs and results.........I think I like it.

enter Bore/Stroke Designation Type
1 = Inches 2 = Millimeters 1

Enter Cylinder Bore Size 4.06

Enter Piston Stroke Length 3.58

Enter Head Gasket Bore Diameter 4.06

Enter Compressed Head Gasket Thickness .025

Enter Combustion Chamber Volume In CCs 48

Enter Piston Dome Volume In CCs Negative For Dished Pistons (Use '-') -9.8

Enter Piston Deck Clearance Negative If ABOVE Deck (Use '-') : .1

Calculated Engine Compression Ratio 10.007:1

Total Displacement Volume cc 84.318

I had Already ordered the mopar thin gaskets and also had a set of economy felpro gaskets sitting around. A buddy talked me into using the thin ones:)

New mopar performance head bolts also used. Did not have any issues with bolt length. I did tap and blow out the holes first.

I put one head on and snugged it down with no gaskets and set up the number one cylinder with the adjustable rockers. Pushrods will be almost perfect, maybe one thread too much showing on the bottom of the adjuster with the gaskets installed. I hand cranked to check for any binding and did not get any clearance issues. Not sure what my piston to valve clearance is during the overlap but it's not hitting. Disassembled and put it together for good this time.

I will have to wait till monday to get my intake shaved. It needs quite a bit of removal. I think that with the recomendations from moper and BJR I will have be o.k.

The machine shop also gave me installed height, spring seat pressure @ 0 and 500 lift, seat height, retainer to valve guide clearance at 500 lift. I really like the service from these guys.

Can't wait to see how it runs!!!

Nice work. Sometimes it's hard to go "thru the motions". but at least now you KNOW what you have.

63dartman said:
Here are the final specs and results.........I think I like it.

Enter Head Gasket Bore Diameter 4.06

I would check the bore of the gasket you are using. Most gaskets have a bore greater than 4.10" and the Fel-Pros are 4.180". This makes a significant difference in the compression ratio.

dgc333 I checked the old gasket that came off and it's the same as the new one. Not sure if it's perfect but it's coming out at 4.15-4.17. that reduced my compression to 9.98. I can live with that too.

I put my rockers on last night and noticed that the pushrods sit uncomfortably close to the topside edge of the pushrod guide holes. The side that's closest to the rockershaft. I am going to clearance a little today just to make sure it's good. Not sure if it's the crane gold rockers or shaving the heads. I am going to bolt down the old rockers and see where they sit too.

63 DARTMAN WHAT SHOP DO YOU USE AND WHERE ARE THEY IM IN NJ AND GOING TO START A 318 BUILD BUT NEED A GOOD MACHINE SHOP ANYONE KNOW OF ONE AROUND NJ????? THANKS FOR ANY HELP :headbang:

69 dart, I'm a long way off from NJ. I live in New Mexico and the shop I used is nothing special just a decent shop that has a good rep. I would talk to some of the guys here on the site about shops up east, I know there are more than just a few. Hope that helps.

-
Back