Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Good stuff ^^^^

Thanks Redman. Right now one of my biggest concerns is with this darn vinyl not wanting to stay put. The edges keep curling up after it's in place. I ordered a couple of large rolls of clear adhesive laminate that I'm planning on stretching over everything when I'm done. I hope it works.

So far I've held off of spraying any clear coat for fear the paint might wrinkle or inks might run. I need to do some experimenting on scraps to find out.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine and I added a layer of clear coat after we put stickers on a moped. Did not work well. Stickers wrinkled up like you wouldn't believe.

That was toluene based clear coat, though. I guess it would wrinkle up most everything ...

Most spray-can clears will destroy decals, including vinyl stickers. Sometimes not, if applied in very thin coats with plenty of time to dry between coats.
However, if you use a catalyzed 2-part urethane clearcoat, it is usually safe to apply over nearly anything. This would be the same clear "paint" that is used as the final stage of 2-stage paint jobs on real cars. On model cars, I've used it over enamel, waterslide decals, alcohol based lacquers, and water based acrylics with no ill effects. But the stuff is deadly, so if you decide to use it get the correct breathing apparatus.

Many folks know I constantly worry about $$ but must be thinking I'm full of BS because I also seem to constantly buy more stuff. - And a lot of the stuff I buy is not essential. I can understand the way you feel. I rarely spend for things that weren't priced way below what I figured they were worth. It's hard for me to pass up a bargain on things I've wanted when they pop up.

Well, I'm at it again.

The other day I spotted some used movie theater seats for sale on Craigslist. They had come out of the old Starlight Theater in Lincoln, Nebraska. The seller had quite a few. They'd been being used at a Lutheran church for seating in their youth group area. - Already mounted in groups of 4 to 1" thick 2' X 4' Formica covered wooden sheets so they wouldn't need fastening to floors. The ad said $10 each with a discount if a larger quantity was purchased.

I hem-hawed about it for awhile as I tried to figure out if I should really spend the money and how many I would want if I did. 4 seats for $40 would have seemed pretty cheap and pretty sensible but 1 single row just didn't seem to be enough to give you the feeling you were actually in a movie theater.

8 seats (2 rows of 4) seemed much better but still...

OK. 3 rows would have to overkill but I thought it would better simulate the environment I'd expect to see. They sold me 12 seats for $100. That comes out to $8.33 each. Transporting, disassembling, & re-assembling them was a lot of work. They are still a bit grungy because we haven't cleaned them since they came off the trailer but they're in really nice condition.

I just couldn't help myself. I don't fare well working in the cold so I'm puttering inside the house now. One of these days you'll see me featured on one of those hoarder programs.

Teresa and members of the mongrel hoard tested them out. I ended up ordering a new pull down movie screen to cover the wall (and door) but it hasn't arrived yet. The 10' 3" width and 8' 3" height will be a perfect fit. I'll enlarge the projected image after it gets here. I'm still hoping on moving but we'll take this stuff with us when we do.

img_6513-jpg.jpg

img_6512-jpg.jpg

img_6510-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6513.jpg

View attachment IMG_6512.jpg

View attachment IMG_6510.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna be nice John, maybe you can re-coupe a little money and open a concession stand.

With my luck the little rugrats would stuff their stomachs full of junk food but they'd borrow the the money from me to buy it and I'd never get paid back! :banghead:

Last edited:
Just saying hello,John. Man you like swap meets ,&,projects..(lol...)I quit going,once I cleaned my personal shop,& left...

Just saying hello,John. Man you like swap meets ,&,projects..(lol...)I quit going,once I cleaned my personal shop,& left...

I'd psychoanalyze myself but I'm afraid of what I'd find.

I do think my preoccupation with all of these various projects stems from my second heart attack. I probably have just 10% of the stamina I had before that last surgery. - But, they say you regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did. I'd always liked building stuff. There were so many projects I'd have loved to have done when I was younger that I never got around to because I always put them on the back burner. Now I'm trying to make up for the lost ground.

With my energy level I probably devote 10 times the amount of time into things I'm working on than other people to accomplish the same amount they do. - But progress is progress.

Last edited:
Like most things I've worked on, each project seems to have several mini-hurdles to overcome.

One of the things I hadn't liked about the pinball machine I was modifying was that it had really short flippers that were spaced far apart. 90% of the time the ball in play would go straight down the middle before you had a chance to hit it. The solution I thought of was to install longer flippers. It seemed easy but once again my lack of experience bit me in the butt.

First I ordered a longer pair of plastic Gottlieb brand flippers. I assumed I could install them in a few minutes. Well, they didn't fit. The steel pivot arm that they were to attach to was different. I considered trying to epoxy them in place but knew the pinball was a pretty solid force to contend with. I probably needed a better solution.

img_6517-jpg.jpg

Next I purchased a pair of longer flippers that included the proper steel pivots. When they arrived I found that the pivot shafts were longer and a bigger diameter. I couldn't fit them into the existing structure.

img_6518-jpg.jpg

Now I've decided to have a machine shop make me a couple of new pivot pins that I'll have to weld to the steel flipper bases. I hope this works.
img_6516-jpg.jpg

Another thing I've been fighting is the fancy L.E.D. light modification. I needed to figure out a way to power them up. The machine has the twist in style bulb sockets but the L.E.D. lights use the spade style (194) sockets. There is almost zero extra room beneath them for any form of adapter. These lights are made so delicately that I don't think I could solder wires to them without damaging them. They are plastic and the power contacts are made of foil.

img_6522-jpg.jpg

I've decided to try a cold soldering technique. I purchased some 'WIRE GLUE'. It is made to be used like an epoxy and it DOES conduct electricity. The dry time on it is slow so it is difficult to attach wires on these areas I cannot clamp. - One other thing I discovered is that the bond is not very strong. I may have to coat them with a rubber cement to keep them from popping loose.

img_6523-jpg.jpg

I guess this project is just like every other one I get involved with. I'm fighting it every step of the way.

View attachment IMG_6517.jpg

View attachment IMG_6518.jpg

View attachment IMG_6516.jpg

View attachment IMG_6522.jpg

View attachment IMG_6523.jpg

Last edited:
The new movie screen showed up today. This thing was a real bear to hang by myself. I was surprised at how heavy it is but I guess it's a lot of canvas. It's nice to be able to see the image without a door in the background.

I put in my AMERICAN NITRO DVD to see how it looks. - It's pretty awesome to see a life size Jungle Pam walking around the basement! The subwoofer does it's best to bring the sound of the nitro cars to life.

img_6524-jpg.jpg

img_6527-jpg.jpg

img_6528-jpg.jpg

img_6530-jpg.jpg

img_6534-jpg.jpg

img_6533-jpg.jpg

img_6535-jpg.jpg

img_6538-jpg.jpg

img_6539-jpg.jpg

img_6537-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6524.jpg

View attachment IMG_6527.jpg

View attachment IMG_6528.jpg

View attachment IMG_6530.jpg

View attachment IMG_6534.jpg

View attachment IMG_6533.jpg

View attachment IMG_6535.jpg

View attachment IMG_6538.jpg

View attachment IMG_6539.jpg

View attachment IMG_6537.jpg

Last edited:
"Jungle Pam" and " Jungle Jim" are awesome, anywhere... My favorite" crazy guy" ,from drag racing....

I need to stop obsessing over a project once I start with it. I should just finish stuff instead of constantly tinkering. The home theater project is growing. It's occurred to me that it would be cool to do the 3D thing so I ordered a bunch of glasses. The projector already has the capability.

c2e189891b66898dc538a617875747a2-jpg.jpg

Now if I could only figure out a way to get a 3D video of Jungle Pam!

View attachment c2e189891b66898dc538a617875747a2.jpg

Last edited:
Lmfao!!! ^^ 3d of Jungle Pam? "son ,you'll shoot your eyes out,with those 3d hooters...)

It may sound like a minor victory but the new pivot shafts I had fabricated for the flipper arms was a success.

img_6544-jpg.jpg

img_6545-jpg.jpg

There's still a bunch of other work to finish. The new fancy L.E.D. popcap bumpers were not made to fit on this old Gottlieb machine. The mounting tabs were too widely spaced.

img_6543-jpg.jpg

I used a 'plastic welder' to melt some of the plastic 'trees' from a model car kit onto the structure beneath the caps. Then I ground the new material flush and drilled & tapped it. Unfortunately, some of my new tabs broke off when I tried running screws in. - So I bought some JB-Weld designed for plastic. It stuck well to the melted plastic I'd added earlier.

img_6547-jpg.jpg

img_6546-jpg.jpg

img_6540-jpg.jpg

img_6541-jpg.jpg

The little dragsters that I wanted to install beneath the glass on the table top were a bit too tall. I ended up having to grind off the slicks to give me another 1/8" clearance.

img_6549-jpg.jpg

img_6552-jpg.jpg

The difference is barely noticeable once I put them on the table.

img_6553-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6544.jpg

View attachment IMG_6545.jpg

View attachment IMG_6543.jpg

View attachment IMG_6547.jpg

View attachment IMG_6546.jpg

View attachment IMG_6540.jpg

View attachment IMG_6541.jpg

View attachment IMG_6549.jpg

View attachment IMG_6552.jpg

View attachment IMG_6553.jpg

Last edited:
Our big snow storm hit yesterday night. They'd predicted anywhere from 4 inches to 2 foot of snow coupled with high winds. I was skeptical when the time had come and gone for the storm to arrive. The radio kept giving new updates predicting less snow and bumping back the time it was supposed to arrive. We stocked up on groceries just in case.

It finally hit us around 3 a.m. Tuesday morning. I'd stopped being concerned after hearing for the umpteenth time that the amount of precipitation was going to be less than originally expected. I went to bed and gave up on my storm watch.

When I woke up Tuesday morning it looked like a full blown blizzard outside. I couldn't tell if it was still snowing or if I was seeing the wind blowing the snow that had already fallen. It kept up all day long. I'd considered trying to clear off the driveway but figured it would most likely drift back shut. We hunkered down inside and worked on household projects to pass the time.

At 2 a.m. Wednesday I woke up and took a look out the windows. It was pretty much over although the wind was still kicking up some snow. The bad news was that there was 5 foot of snow drift covering my driveway. I'm not sure how much snow we did get because of the drifting but I wouldn't be surprised to hear if it was a foot or more. The funnycar is buried and the Barracuda is almost as bad.

Rather than wait for the sun to rise I figured I better start chiseling away at the drift so we can get out of the house in the morning. Teresa has a doctor's appointment. Remind me to slap the next person that tells me they love winter.

Our big snow storm hit yesterday night. They'd predicted anywhere from 4 inches to 2 foot of snow coupled with high winds. I was skeptical when the time had come and gone for the storm to arrive. The radio kept giving new updates predicting less snow and bumping back the time it was supposed to arrive. We stocked up on groceries just in case.

It finally hit us around 3 a.m. Tuesday morning. I'd stopped being concerned after hearing for the umpteenth time that the amount of precipitation was going to be less than originally expected. I went to bed and gave up on my storm watch.

When I woke up Tuesday morning it looked like a full blown blizzard outside. I couldn't tell if it was still snowing or if I was seeing the wind blowing the snow that had already fallen. It kept up all day long. I'd considered trying to clear off the driveway but figured it would most likely drift back shut. We hunkered down inside and worked on household projects to pass the time.

At 2 a.m. Wednesday I woke up and took a look out the windows. It was pretty much over although the wind was still kicking up some snow. The bad news was that there was 5 foot of snow drift covering my driveway. I'm not sure how much snow we did get because of the drifting but I wouldn't be surprised to hear if it was a foot or more. The funnycar is buried and the Barracuda is almost as bad.

Rather than wait for the sun to rise I figured I better start chiseling away at the drift so we can get out of the house in the morning. Teresa has a doctor's appointment. Remind me to slap the next person that tells me they love winter.

u need to get back on mopars, starting to lose interest in ur posts ! :protest:

Our first big storm hit about 1.5 weeks ago 18"
I cannot believe how many people were un-prepared.
I ran my snow blower on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Today it was 61 degrees and most of the snow is gone.

I am also done with winter this year.

Remind me to slap the next person that tells me they love winter.

John, we had winter Sunday and Monday here in Phoenix. It was windy with a little rain. Knocked a patio chair over I had in my backyard and dropped some palm tree fronds. I will attempt to right the chair before it gets too hot - they say maybe near 80 next week!:D

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 209
u need to get back on mopars, starting to lose interest in ur posts ! :protest:

Sorry Bob. I understand what you're saying. I wish I had new news on the car projects but life kept getting in the way. I miss the garage time I was spending and really want to get back at it. It was sort of therapeutic. If I had my way I'd still be wrenching on Mopars nonstop. Between the one city demanding I finish improvements on that house and the other city refusing to allow me to have our cars in town it's really made it difficult to progress.

The closest thing I've been able to accomplish related to the car hobby is the work on the basement 'man cave'. I've tried to maintain an automotive theme down there.

As far as the car projects go, we did get an aluminum Hemi ordered from Keith Black but it'll be months before it arrives. The plan is to have it shipped directly to Mike at MRL for final machine work. In the meantime we'll probably order one of those plastic 'mock up' Hemis to use for establishing how we'll need to modify the hood and configure accessories. We found a potential buyer for the 512 so it may be getting sold. There's a guy in Omaha that's wanting one for his '66 Coronet.

Last edited:
Our first big storm hit about 1.5 weeks ago 18"
I cannot believe how many people were un-prepared.
I ran my snow blower on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Today it was 61 degrees and most of the snow is gone.

I am also done with winter this year.

Growing up I was accustomed to being snowed in for several days at a time. There was plenty of warning for this storm so we prepared to be shut in for a few days if necessary. I may not like living in town but it seems pretty cushy compared to life out in the country. I knew that if we lost power it wouldn't be for more than a few hours. - And I knew they'd get the streets cleared off pretty quickly.

One of the things that was stolen from our farm was our big John Deere snowblower so I've been using a shovel to dig us out. Although we haven't warmed up that much here yet, we had drizzly precipitation since that has shrunk the size of the drifts.

Last edited:
-
Back