Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Had to check the map. Neighbouring state, Missouri. Close enough to go down and bark at him if need be. :D

We'd bought the car in Missouri from a guy who'd had a fresh engine built for the car. We never got the name of the shop that built the motor. I guess we should get back in contact with him to ind out who did the work.

Last edited:
Your push rods are too long. Normally you need shorter ones if you install adjustable rocker arms.

I had assumed the pushrod length was going to be stock. - Guess I should have done more research first. I'm really pissed off at myself for not looking more closely at the limited adjustment we had. Inexperience really bit me in the butt this time.

I had a lot of guys tell me to make the lash adjustment by tightening until the pushrods were more difficult to rotate and then go another 1/2 turn tighter. Well, after reading up more I've seen that some folks say that this can be misleading because not everyone judges the rotational drag the same. Now (from what I'm reading) it's best to watch for when the vertical movement of the pushrods is zero and then adjust an additional 1/8 to 1/2 turn.

I've always pre-filled new lifters with oil because I'd been concerned about potential lifter collapse. A buddy of mine had told me that he'd had one new hydraulic lifter pop apart on a build shortly after firing it up (when he was putting them in dry). He thought the lack of oil had allowed it to collapse. Since then he's been filling them first. - And that's the way I've always done it. - Usually had really good luck letting them soak submerged in a can with light weight oil.

Last edited:
was going to ask about your pushrod length also . :coffee2:

Yup, need different push rods. Have to be shorter that stockers.:D

I checked JEGS online to see which COMP Cams pushrods they've got. Now I'm getting more confused on length. The stock are listed as being 8.555" in length while the ones listed for adjustable rockers are listed as 8.710. I know I need to go shorter NOT longer! COMP's website does show a wide variety of lengths available though.

So what are your guys opinions on shimming the rocker shafts? I hate spending for another set of pushrods but I guess we'll have to do whatever it takes.

Last edited:
After trying to add shims beneath the rocker shafts I realized that I was going to have a lot of trouble getting the right amount. I decided to order a pair of pushrod length checkers from JEGS. The checkers adjust from 7.800'' to 8.800'' and JEGS is supposed to have them in stock.

249-7703-1-jpg.jpg

With any luck, the checkers will arrive by the end of the week and I'll be able to figure out the length I need for new pushrods this weekend. I don't know how long it will take to get the custom length pushrods. If they have them in stock I should be able to button this thing back up next week.

View attachment 249-7703-1.jpg

Last edited:
The pushrods are available in all kinds of lengths. Figure out what you need and then find the closest one they already have in stock. 99% of the time they are an off the shelf item.

By the way, every hyd. lifter I have ever had instructions for says to not fill them with oil. Doing that makes them nearly impossible to accurately adjust static/cold.

The pushrods are available in all kinds of lengths. Figure out what you need and then find the closest one they already have in stock. 99% of the time they are an off the shelf item.

By the way, every hyd. lifter I have ever had instructions for says to not fill them with oil. Doing that makes them nearly impossible to accurately adjust static/cold.

- Good to hear that they're likely to stock pushrods in the length we'll need. I was worrying that we could be waiting for weeks.

All of the threads I've been reading lately agree with you about setting the lash with dry hydraulic lifters. - But I have seen some reliable sources that do say that as long as a person uses the vertical movement means of feeling for zero lash - you still should be accurate.

Last edited:
- Good to hear that they're likely to stock pushrods in the length we'll need. I was worrying that we could be waiting for weeks.

All of the threads I've been reading lately agree with you about setting the lash with dry hydraulic lifters. - But I have seen some reliable sources that do say that as long as a person uses the vertical movement means of feeling for zero lash - you still should be accurate.

Smith Brothers:
http://www.pushrods.net/

After trying to add shims beneath the rocker shafts I realized that I was going to have a lot of trouble getting the right amount. I decided to order a pair of pushrod length checkers from JEGS. The checkers adjust from 7.800'' to 8.800'' and JEGS is supposed to have them in stock.

View attachment 1714881310

With any luck, the checkers will arrive by the end of the week and I'll be able to figure out the length I need for new pushrods this weekend. I don't know how long it will take to get the custom length pushrods. If they have them in stock I should be able to button this thing back up next week.

Went this route ,on my 360 Magnum.Summit had the unusual pushrod size in stock,had them in the usual Summit time.

Last edited:
Went this route ,on my 360 Magnum.Summit had the unusual pushrod size in stock,had them in the usual Summit time.

That's the biggest reason we end up buying from Summit Racing & JEGS, - they usually get parts to you fast!

Last edited:
That's where I get mine, fairly quick too. :D

With 2 thumbs up already for those Smith Bros. pushrods, they must be good. I guess cost shouldn't be the biggest factor in deciding which brand to choose after spending $700 on the rocker arms.

I know my memory sucks but as I was researching the pushrods today I remembered talking with tech support from Comp Cams (way back when) before ordering the ones we bought and I DID order the part number I was told to. It doesn't excuse my ignorance but I only feel half as stupid now.

Last edited:
Smith Brothers, fantastic stuff.. I don't'know turnaround time... At least you're trying do it right.Seen much worse,due to impatient people.....

With 2 thumbs up already for those Smith Bros. pushrods, they must be good. I guess cost shouldn't be the biggest factor in deciding which brand to choose after spending $700 on the rocker arms.

I know my memory sucks but as I was researching the pushrods today I remembered talking with tech support from Comp Cams (way back when) before ordering the ones we bought and I DID order the part number I was told to. It doesn't excuse my ignorance but I only feel half as stupid now.

I don't think Comp knows how to figure pushrod length. I had asked them for their recommendation when adding their roller rockers to my 340, and they gave me the wrong pushrods too.

Smith Brothers X3. Ran them in my Dart for years, big block 4spd 7600 rpms on the big end. Never bent one.

Attachments

• P4140016.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 126
  • P7020024.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 130
Smith Brothers, fantastic stuff.. I don't'know turnaround time... At least you're trying do it right.Seen much worse,due to impatient people.....

- Now that makes another vote for the Smith Bros. pushrods. With warmer weather right around the corner, I know that we won't want an extended delay on the pushrods. Turnaround time will definitely be a factor on which ones we order.

Last edited:
Impatience is one of my distinguishing traits. Has never served me well.

Old age isn't necessarily making me more patient but it's sure slowing me down when it comes to getting things done.

Last edited:
you do know that you can send your measuring pushrod that is set to what you need, to hughs engines, and they will make them for you, don`t you ?

I haven't checked into Hughs yet. I guess I'll put them on the research list.

Last edited:
I don't think Comp knows how to figure pushrod length. I had asked them for their recommendation when adding their roller rockers to my 340, and they gave me the wrong pushrods too.

I don't know if they assume that people like me have more knowledge than we do or if their tech line lacks complete knowledge of their product line.

Last edited:
Smith Brothers X3. Ran them in my Dart for years, big block 4spd 7600 rpms on the big end. Never bent one.

Sweet Dart!! Your thumbs up on those Smith Bros. rods would be the fourth recommendation for them.

I've only ever bent one pushrod in all my years and it was a stock one. It was my own fault because I'd failed to seat it properly in the lifter and had it wedged against the lip. It's unlikely we'll hurt one in this motor because it'll rarely see 6,000.

Last edited:
The pushrod checker showed up today. I underlined checker because only one showed up and I was expecting two. I suppose this is another mistake on my part but...
The picture that JEGS showed had two of them in it.
They were twice the price as the single (JEGS brand) ones they sold.
COMP CAMS site shows a single unit and at a cheaper price.

I get really, really frustrated at times like this. I suppose I wouldn't have made a mistake if I'd spent more time researching and been more careful but I still feel I was somewhat misled.

Oh well, I'll get over it and just have to gripe again a few days from now when I make the next mistake. It's not like it cost me a fortune extra. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

JEGS charged me $26.99 plus $5.99 'handling' fee. This was their picture.

249-7703-1-jpg.jpg

They (JEGS) also sell their store brand for $12.99 each. This is the picture they show of it.

555-80682-jpg.jpg

I could have bought one through compperformancegroupstores for $19.00. This is the pic they show.

7701-1l-jpg.jpg

Between the cost differences and the pictures I sure thought I'd be receiving two.

View attachment 249-7703-1.jpg

View attachment 555-80682.jpg

View attachment 7701-1L.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back