Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh boy. That's not good.

Ah, man! After all the work you put into fixing it after having punks jumping on it. No fair! :mad::(

I've spent the past 5 hours cutting up the tree that was on the vehicles. The truck survived with minor damage. Other than a busted bugshield and some dents in the hood, it'll be OK.

The funnycar... - not so much. That glass body has been through so much that I'm not sure it's worth fixing. Besides having the roof smashed in it's got severe buckling in the sides now. I know that it's possible to repair almost anything but this is a huge setback. The pictures don't really show how bad the damage is. Most of the structural support on the underside was ripped loose too.
SANY1855.JPG

SANY1856.JPG

SANY1857.JPG

SANY1858.JPG

SANY1859.JPG

Time to haul another load of limbs to the town's brush pile. With all the rain that accompanied the wind it's pretty swampy out there.
SANY1860.JPG

SANY1861.JPG

They said that we had straight line winds that ranged between 85 to 100 MPH. There are trees and power lines down all over town.
SANY1862.JPG

SANY1863.JPG

SANY1864.JPG

SANY1865.JPG

On the bright side, the Barracuda made it through unscathed.

Last edited:
Good to hear about the Barracuda, sucks about the funny. Hope you can figure out something as far as fixing it, but it does look bad. Good luck.

Which is the actual topic of the thread! :rolleyes:

Ya, I know but the Barracuda was just one of many cars that were on my 'bucket list'. I sort of became attached to FABO and don't spend much time visiting the B-body, truck, and race sites. With all the hopping back & forth between projects it became easiest for me to lump them all together. Keep in mind that my memory has gotten so poor that I tend to use this thread as a personal journal to keep track of the things I've worked on. Separating them would likely make me more confused than I already am.

Last edited:
Good to hear about the Barracuda, sucks about the funny. Hope you can figure out something as far as fixing it, but it does look bad. Good luck.

It might be awhile before I can get time to really assess if it's worth salvaging. I spent 15 hours today cutting and carrying debris. Tomorrow will be more of the same. Although I haven't written much about it, we've still been pouring work into that house we're restoring (and having to deal with some really nasty city council members while doing it). Then there's the Charger. Spence would like to see it done before he reaches 'old fart' status. I think the fact I've owned the funnycar for 40 years and still haven't finished it yet has him worried.

The damage to the truck didn't look too bad but I noticed that the left fender is sort of mushed too and it's shoved back just enough to contact the door when it opens and closes. Heck, I haven't tried to open the hood yet. I'm not certain it will.

Last edited:
Another fun filled day of tree trimming. Troubles with a chain saw prevented me from finishing. I think chain saws hate me. The feeling is mutual. We made it over to the house in Rising City that we're restoring and were pleased to find that there was no storm damage there.

With the stall in tree work (due to that dang chain saw) I took some time to polish out a set of hubcaps for a 1929 Nash. I owed my buddy for his help cutting trees so I figured I better get them done before an upcoming car show he wants to take the car to.

They were in pretty good shape to start with. I snapped some pictures of them with 3 polished and the 4th for reference. He'll have to repaint the black portions.

SANY1866.JPG

SANY1867.JPG

SANY1868.JPG

SANY1869.JPG

SANY1870.JPG

I swear that polishing metal is one of the dirtiest jobs there is. This is my face after doing the first one. (sorry if any of your kids have seen this and are now cowering in their rooms)
SANY1872.JPG

That is not a Husky chain saw. Get one.

Anders, it's a Jonsered. My buddy had a large tree stump carved by an artist years ago and the guy that did it told him those were the best you could buy. It's made in Sweden so I thought you'd approve.

Last edited:
Anders, it's a Jonsered. My buddy had a large tree stump carved by an artist years ago and the guy that did it told him those were the best you could buy. It's made in Sweden so I thought you'd approve.
There you go. Don't trust me to identify stuff.

Jonsered is owned by Husqvarna these days. Not sure for how long. The company was actually started right here, on the other side of the lake in the town of Jonsered. I actually visited it on a field trip a few months ago. Nowadays they design heavy-duty construction equipment on that site, large diameter hole saws, 2-stroke diamond blade circle saws and stuff like that.

Husqvarna has Jonsered as its consumer brand now while the actual husky name is for the pros. At least over here. You never know how things are abroad, do you.

Sorry to hear about the storm....and the Funny Car. I'm sure you have already checked your homeowners....looks like personal property damage to me.

Sorry to hear about the storm....and the Funny Car. I'm sure you have already checked your homeowners....looks like personal property damage to me.
DAM guy, if it weren't for bad luck, you`d have no luck at all !! I know how u feel, the past ice storm of 2008 ?, did about the same crap to a bunch of us down here. Hang in there.

There you go. Don't trust me to identify stuff.

Jonsered is owned by Husqvarna these days. Not sure for how long. The company was actually started right here, on the other side of the lake in the town of Jonsered. I actually visited it on a field trip a few months ago. Nowadays they design heavy-duty construction equipment on that site, large diameter hole saws, 2-stroke diamond blade circle saws and stuff like that.

Husqvarna has Jonsered as its consumer brand now while the actual husky name is for the pros. At least over here. You never know how things are abroad, do you.

The chainsaw seemed to be working great (as long as someone else was using it). I think all chainsaws hate me. Maybe there's something in my DNA that prevents them from working when I'm touching them. - Or maybe the good Lord is protecting me because He knows I'd likely chop one of my feet off.

Last edited:
Sorry about your funny car John, hope your are seeing the end in sight on the yard cleanup. I think most 2 cycle engines are possessed - they work great one day and the following day its a what the heck moment as blisters form on your fingers as you think just one more pull....

Unfortunately the damage to the funny car isn't covered. I still haven't figured out if it's worth salvaging. My plan to have the body and interior done by the end of Summer is definitely out of reach now. It's an eyesore in the driveway the way it looks but it'll be staying put until I have some free time to tear it back apart.

Last edited:
DAM guy, if it weren't for bad luck, you`d have no luck at all !! I know how u feel, the past ice storm of 2008 ?, did about the same crap to a bunch of us down here. Hang in there.

My last thoughts of paint on the car were to reproduce the old 'Mongoose' theme. Prior to that I had considered christening it 'BAD KARMA'. Given this last bout of misfortune maybe the KARMA idea was the most appropriate.

Last edited:
Sorry about your funny car John, hope your are seeing the end in sight on the yard cleanup. I think most 2 cycle engines are possessed - they work great one day and the following day its a what the heck moment as blisters form on your fingers as you think just one more pull....

I pushed through the yard cleanup as fast as I could. With the exception of vehicle damage everything else was cut up and hauled away within 4 days. I was eventually able to get the chainsaw to start for me but I think I caught it off guard before it realized who I was.

Last edited:
I pushed through the yard cleanup as fast as I could. With the exception of vehicle damage everything else was cut up and hauled away within 4 days. I was eventually able to get the chainsaw to start for me but I think I caught it off guard before it realized who I was.
I bought a new husky ( when we had the big ice storm) that would absolutely start the first time I PULLED IT , EVERY TIME . But I couldn`t keep a chain on that thing , no matter what. We used to heat our house w/ wood, so I`m no stranger to chainsaws. I ended up throwing the dam thing in a load of junk I hauled off, still starting on the first pull. Replaced it w/ a stihl, problem solved, best saw Ive ever owned !

I bought a new husky ( when we had the big ice storm) that would absolutely start the first time I PULLED IT , EVERY TIME . But I couldn`t keep a chain on that thing , no matter what. We used to heat our house w/ wood, so I`m no stranger to chainsaws. I ended up throwing the dam thing in a load of junk I hauled off, still starting on the first pull. Replaced it w/ a stihl, problem solved, best saw Ive ever owned !

- Not sure a Stihl would have cured my saw woes. I swear I think I'd have trouble starting an electric chainsaw!

Last edited:
I've been avoiding making posts about non-car related topics. During the past year work has continued on that house restoration in Rising City and half of my time had been taken up with work there. Despite the fact the property looks very nice the local city council has continued to threaten to condemn the place and burn it. My lack of quick responses lately is because the bulk of my time is being spent there.

With the house looking really good, the council has issued ridiculous complaints about stuff such as our 2 garbage cans being next to our garage. (over half of the town's homes store theirs in the same place and ours are empty.) They also insisted I remove one of my race cars from the property even though there are several others stored on neighboring properties. They claimed our front porch is falling apart and needs to be torn off. (We completely rebuilt it 4 years ago and it's in great shape except for a one foot section of trim that needs repairing.) The list of their complaints, threats, and demands never ends.

Our problems with them started years ago when someone started a rumor that we were planning on renting or selling to some Hispanics. I received a threatening call from someone who said that they'd heard that was my plan. I told them it was none of their business what I chose to do with my property. He said he'd make sure I'd regret my response to him. The call was anonymous but the caller had claimed to be connected with the city somehow. Shortly afterwards the vandalism started. Then the harassment by the city council.

Without proof it'd be difficult to pursue a lawsuit against the city but Teresa had taken it upon herself to record audio from a few of the city council meetings that we were required to attend. She was able to capture recordings of their lies and rude mocking behaviors.

What was meant to be Teresa's dream house has become a nightmare. I know that the project has been a very long term one but we have been totally restoring and remodeling. That has entailed completely rewiring, all windows replaced, all walls getting new drywall, every light and plumbing fixture replaced with stained glass ones, the installation of several tin ceilings, new appliances, new floors, moving walls, constructing a redesigned stairway, etc, etc...

Enough of my rant. Trying to balance my time between the house we live in, all of the vehicle projects, storm damage, vandalism, and that house in Rising City has me frazzled.

On a car related note, Spencer bought me a pair of stainless steel Borla mufflers for Father's Day. Bless his heart. He knew that those Purple Hornies were rattling my brain and keeping me from driving the Barracuda as much as I'd like.

Despite his good intentions, he ordered the incorrect ones for my car. The ones that arrived had a 3&1/2" inlet. I sent them back to JEGS and ordered ones that should fit. He's coming back home next week and we'll be installing them then. Before we do he wants to record video of the sound of the 'Cuda with the Hornies on it, - then make a second recording of the car with open headers, - and finally a third recording of it with the new Borla exhaust. I'll post them when I get a chance.

157-40943.jpg

On a car related note, Spencer bought me a pair of stainless steel Borla mufflers for Father's Day. Bless his heart. He knew that those Purple Hornies were rattling my brain and keeping me from driving the Barracuda as much as I'd like.

Despite his good intentions, he ordered the incorrect ones for my car. The ones that arrived had a 3&1/2" inlet. I sent them back to JEGS and ordered ones that should fit. He's coming back home next week and we'll be installing them then. Before we do he wants to record video of the sound of the 'Cuda with the Hornies on it, - then make a second recording of the car with open headers, - and finally a third recording of it with the new Borla exhaust. I'll post them when I get a chance.

View attachment 1715061580

That will be interesting to hear the difference. I ran into a young guy in the parking lot at Sherwin Williams with a SRT with a Borla system. We struck up a conversation about Mopars (he knew nothing about any except the new generation stuff) and he started his car for me and revved it a few times. It was pretty loud and throaty at the higher rpms, actually hurt my ears a bit. Seemed pretty docile at lower rpms, or at least that's the story I am sticking to!

-
Back