Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
wow John, quite the spread for the kids, looks like you got mobbed. Diggin the slot car track, very cool.

Thanks jaws. Halloween is probably the best opportunity I have to look normal for the community. LOL. Most of the time I'm likely to be viewed as that grungy old fart with greasy jeans and has a bunch of Mopars. Come to think of it, Teresa's white van sometimes has rolls of duct tape and saws in the back of it when I'm working on projects. I probably match the profile of serial killers.

(honestly, the only cereal I've ever killed was Cap'n Crunch)

Last edited:
Track looks killer!!
Where I grew up, a few of the bowling alleys also had some pretty spectacular slot tracks. I remember my dad’s league would bowl around the Holidays and if we were lucky enough to not
Have school the next day, he would let me come along and I would get a rental car and wear that car and the track out!

Wow. Just wow.

Hey there Anders! I don't suppose you've decided to adopt any of the Halloween decor ideas over there yet, but I am curious about how (and if) it's celebrated over there. Do you get trick-or-treaters? - And if you did do a big display would your neighbors think it was weird?

Last edited:
John, thanks for posting the Halloween pictures. I look forward to that every year. The slot car track looks amazing.

As much as I sometimes question living in the 'fly over' part of the country, I guess I suspect people in small towns around here feel safer going door to door than some other places. It was really like a party atmosphere on Halloween. At times we had over 50 people on our yard (when you include the parents). Although most of my time here is spent alone working inside the garage, - Halloween is the one day each year when I don't feel like such a hermit.

Thanks for the comment about the track. The more bugs I get worked out, the better I like it. Once I finally got it programmed to record & recognize fuel levels, it became even better. Even though it's still a slotted track - you're no longer tethered to which lane you're supposed to be on. If a car flies off you simply place it on whichever lane you choose. I'm glad I reduced the number of curves and lengthened the straightaways. It's far less frustrating when your less likely to fly off. I had considered making a 4 to 8 lane oval instead but thought it would be more monotonous than this road course design.

Now one of my biggest problems is with the computer controlled cars. When you program them they stay at a set throttle position. You have to keep their speed down slow enough to stay on the track through the curves which makes them noncompetitive but they still make a nice addition to the traffic you need to work around.

Last edited:
Track looks killer!!
Where I grew up, a few of the bowling alleys also had some pretty spectacular slot tracks. I remember my dad’s league would bowl around the Holidays and if we were lucky enough to not
Have school the next day, he would let me come along and I would get a rental car and wear that car and the track out!

Hey there Double D! (there used to be a girl around here with that moniker) I wish there'd been something similar around here when I was young. - Maybe there was but without the internet back then I wouldn't have ever found it anyway. I did know that those places existed somewhere but I always figured it was probably on the West coast.

So, do those places still exist in NJ? You gotta take your kids if they do!

Last edited:
Hey there Anders! I don't suppose you've decided to adopt any of the Halloween decor ideas over there yet, but I am curious about how (and if) it's celebrated over there. Do you get trick-or-treaters? - And if you did do a big display would your neighbors think it was weird?
The tradition is under development over here. Trick-or-Treaters can show up on several evenings depending on how the days fall in the calendar. We traditionally celebrate Halloween in a more somber and death-related way by visiting graves of passed relatives and lighting candles on the first Saturday of November while you celebrate strictly on Oct 31, right? This leads to some confusion and we get Tricksters on both days.
The displays are limited to pumpkins on the doorstep and a big display like yours would definitely draw a great deal of attention. You also have to remember that in most cases, the end of October equals darkness, rain and low temperatures in most of Sweden, snow in the north, so the population is extremely reluctant to go outside in large numbers this time of year.
We have a very similar tradition in Easter time, though. It's usually in daylight and since that is in the spring and always on a weekend, it's a better time to be outside. Kids dress up as "Easter maids" similar to witches, and walk from house to house handing out little hand written letters and receiving candy in baskets.
IMG_0939.jpg

The tradition is under development over here. Trick-or-Treaters can show up on several evenings depending on how the days fall in the calendar. We traditionally celebrate Halloween in a more somber and death-related way by visiting graves of passed relatives and lighting candles on the first Saturday of November while you celebrate strictly on Oct 31, right? This leads to some confusion and we get Tricksters on both days.
The displays are limited to pumpkins on the doorstep and a big display like yours would definitely draw a great deal of attention. You also have to remember that in most cases, the end of October equals darkness, rain and low temperatures in most of Sweden, snow in the north, so the population is extremely reluctant to go outside in large numbers this time of year.
We have a very similar tradition in Easter time, though. It's usually in daylight and since that is in the spring and always on a weekend, it's a better time to be outside. Kids dress up as "Easter maids" similar to witches, and walk from house to house handing out little hand written letters and receiving candy in baskets.
View attachment 1715113831

Great picture Anders! - Cute kids!

The weather around here (in Nebraska) probably isn't all that different at that time of year. I take it you noticed the snow on the ground in some of the pictures.

I really like that tradition you folks have going for Easter.

Last edited:
It's a random pic google found for me. No, I didn't notice the snow. I've been to Nebraska in winter though, so I should've realized your weather isn't all that different from ours.

It's a random pic google found for me. No, I didn't notice the snow. I've been to Nebraska in winter though, so I should've realized your weather isn't all that different from ours.

I keep getting busy with stuff that sidetracks me away from FABO. - Anders, that's still a pretty cute pic of those kids dressing as 'Easter maids". I think we should both pack up our stuff and move further south.

Last edited:
Well, I survived the holidays and my ribs are healed back up. I'd been spending a lot of time in our basement working on that slot car setup during my recuperation. Now I imagine I better be hitting the garage again and make more progress on the Charger.

I bought Spencer a new set of Hooker headers for his Roadrunner. The large primary tti's that he had on it kept leaking. We'd bought them used and the previous owner had tweaked them to fit an E-body although they were B-body headers. We were able to fit & run them but I think various clearance problems kept us from ever being able to get a good seal. We even tried all the best gaskets we could find but the problems never went away. He took the new headers back to Iowa with him but I suspect he'll be bringing them back for installation. (the instructions mentioned having to modify the clutch linkage)

I must have missed your previous report of cracked ribs, what the heck did you do? I think I may cracked a rib many years ago working underneath the car trying to use my chest as leverage for removing a stubborn bolt. I never got it checked out, but I remember it being painful for quite some time whenever I took deep breaths.

I must have missed your previous report of cracked ribs, what the heck did you do? I think I may cracked a rib many years ago working underneath the car trying to use my chest as leverage for removing a stubborn bolt. I never got it checked out, but I remember it being painful for quite some time whenever I took deep breaths.

I must have neglected to post about my ribs here while I was clinging to death's door. LOL. I guess these old bones are getting brittle.

It'd be cool to be able to say that I was injured while performing some incredible act of crime fighting or bench pressing a transmission but it happened when I was reaching for something I'd dropped. I was leaning over the back of one of our theater chairs stretching as far as I could. The seat backs are a rigid plastic and my chest was against it. I kept struggling to get to the part even though it was a few inches out of reach. Suddenly I felt something snap and knew what happened right away. I guess I may be prone to this sort of thing since they used a rib spreader on me during heart surgery. Doh!!

Last edited:
I must have neglected to post about my ribs here while I was clinging to death's door. LOL. I guess these old bones are getting brittle.

It'd be cool to be able to say that I was injured while performing some incredible act of crime fighting or bench pressing a transmission but it happened when I was reaching for something I'd dropped. I was leaning over the back of one of our theater chairs stretching as far as I could. The seat backs are a rigid plastic and my chest was against it. I kept struggling to get to the part even though it was a few inches out of reach. Suddenly I felt something snap and knew what happened right away. I guess I may be prone to this sort of thing since they used a rib spreader on me during heart surgery. Doh!!

That snap sound seems very familiar:eek: . I will ask permission for a go back to change my story - I actually was fighting Lithuanian terrorists when it occurred. Or was it while clubbing baby seals? Anyway, take care of yourself John - you got a garage full of Mopars to fix!

That snap sound seems very familiar:eek: . I will ask permission for a go back to change my story - I actually was fighting Lithuanian terrorists when it occurred. Or was it while clubbing baby seals? Anyway, take care of yourself John - you got a garage full of Mopars to fix!

Dang Lithuanian terrorists anyway!

Last edited:
-
Back