Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Progress has slowed. I was mistaken when I said that the side marker light housings were rusted out. It was the front blinker/park light housings. The side markers are a plastic assembly.

With Valentine's Day I thought It'd be best if I spent time with Teresa. I figure that she won't throw things as hard at me the next time she catches me surfing the net for car parts.

I'm still trying to dig up all of my missing parts and cleaning the ones I find.

img_4592-jpg.jpg

img_4593-jpg.jpg

img_4597-jpg.jpg

For years I have searched for replacement side steps for the 'Lil Red. Someone was repopping them years ago and I did pay big bucks to get a pair but they never arrived. I think the company went out of business. These rust out because there's a wood block beneath them that holds moisture.

I guess I'm going to repair these. If I weld up the rusted section while protecting the rest of the chrome, I should be able to put a small amount of silver paint on the welded sections. The stacks will hide most of it. Someday when I get the chrome plating system going I'll re-do them.

img_4595-jpg.jpg

img_4596-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_4592.jpg

View attachment IMG_4593.jpg

View attachment IMG_4597.jpg

View attachment IMG_4595.jpg

View attachment IMG_4596.jpg

Last edited:
67 cuda, I feel your pain brother. It seems as though I have more boxes of parts than I removed on tear down. I have massaged as much as I could with many of the parts to try to get them to a like new condition but the rusted chrome and pits are the worst. finding anything chrome that is pit free is impossible and the cost of re plating them could run the risk of breaking the bank anymore. I was looking at getting bumpers re-chromed and I almost fell over. Then I looked at the re-popped ones . They are so thin, they wouldn't last a spring, let alone a winter before they began to rust. All I know is, I feel your pain on the chrome issues. Good luck and by the way, your li'l red looks very nice. I have always loved those trucks when taken care of. Can't wait to see more of your Barracuda though. L.O.L!!!
I love that car.

67 cuda, I feel your pain brother. It seems as though I have more boxes of parts than I removed on tear down. I have massaged as much as I could with many of the parts to try to get them to a like new condition but the rusted chrome and pits are the worst. finding anything chrome that is pit free is impossible and the cost of re plating them could run the risk of breaking the bank anymore. I was looking at getting bumpers re-chromed and I almost fell over. Then I looked at the re-popped ones . They are so thin, they wouldn't last a spring, let alone a winter before they began to rust. All I know is, I feel your pain on the chrome issues. Good luck and by the way, your li'l red looks very nice. I have always loved those trucks when taken care of. Can't wait to see more of your Barracuda though. L.O.L!!!
I love that car.

Just to let you know ariffle, - I did buy a repop bumper for my '67. It's not show chrome but it's not nearly as bad as the way a lot of folks make them sound. I'd have to look pretty hard to tell the difference between my original bumper and the replacement. Because the front and rear interchange it'd be interesting to see if anyone could determine which was o.e.m. Mine have been on the car for a year and a half and I haven't seen any flaking or pitting in the new one yet.

Last edited:
Just to let you know ariffle, - I did buy a repop bumper for my '67. It's not show chrome but it's not nearly as bad as the way a lot of folks make them sound. I'd have to look pretty hard to tell the difference between my original bumper and the replacement. Because the front and rear interchange it'd be interesting to see if anyone could determine which was o.e.m. Mine have been on the car for a year and a half and I haven't seen any flaking or pitting in the new one yet.

I'm surprised. going by what people are saying about them.
I have been very skeptical to make the purchase.
What I'm doing with my originals would make most purists upset, but I welded studs where the bolts go thru and ground them down smooth so they will no longer be seen. Smoothed them out and I'm painting them body color until I come up with the big money to have them triple chromed. It's a big cost, so I'll be running with painted ones until then. I hate the thought of painted bumpers but I gotta do what I gotta do.

I'm surprised. going by what people are saying about them.
I have been very skeptical to make the purchase.
What I'm doing with my originals would make most purists upset, but I welded studs where the bolts go thru and ground them down smooth so they will no longer be seen. Smoothed them out and I'm painting them body color until I come up with the big money to have them triple chromed. It's a big cost, so I'll be running with painted ones until then. I hate the thought of painted bumpers but I gotta do what I gotta do.

It makes me wonder if there is more than one supplier making the repopped bumpers. I thought I was going to be really disappointed when I ordered mine. Maybe I was just lucky with the one they sent me, - don't know. I f you know anyone around you that may have gotten an aftermarket one I think I'd call them up and ask to see it. Maybe we should start a thread asking for pictures. There's a lot of guys out there that consider all repopped parts to be junk so word of mouth isn't really proof. My car is outside in the dark right now so I can't post any close up photos of the bumpers yet.

Last edited:
John, saw this 3doodler on YouTube, and for some reason you came to mind! Figured you would find a way to use it for an auto project:D

[ame]http://youtu.be/emUlHFWcHck[/ame]

John, saw this 3doodler on YouTube, and for some reason you came to mind! Figured you would find a way to use it for an auto project:D
DANG!! That's pretty cool! My mind's been racing trying to come up with ideas about where I could use it. So far I think it'd be a great tool to use for scale modeling and making dioramas. I think we should post a link to that video on the diecast thread.

Last edited:
Finding used steps suck, I bought one at Carsile a few years back, it was cherry, I think I gave $60.00
Stopped at every vendor and it was the only one I seen in the whole swap meet that was not rusted.
As luck would have it a guy selling Ford parts had it sitting under two Motorcraft carbs.

Had to fix the one on the other side, making and grinding the welds to look like the "tits" on the side is not fun.

DANG!! That's pretty cool! My mind's been racing trying to come up with ideas about where I could use it. So far I think it'd be a great tool to use for scale modeling and making dioramas. I think we should post a link to that video on the diecast thread.

I was thinking maybe that HO racetrack of yours, looks like you could make some landscaping, maybe guard rails, etc with it. Pretty cool, looks like it is sort of a controlled hot glue gun!

I was thinking maybe that HO racetrack of yours, looks like you could make some landscaping, maybe guard rails, etc with it. Pretty cool, looks like it is sort of a controlled hot glue gun!

It's as though you read my mind. Simulated overhead power lines, fencing, etc... I haven't had a chance to check to see how much they cost or what the raw plastic costs, but I'm planning on getting one if they're not too pricey. I'm still trying to think of ideas for a full sized vehicle.

Last edited:
I love that car.

Our two cars have got a lot of similarities so I'm keeping an eye on your build. I can't recall seeing any other fastback besides the two of ours painted this color. I am anxious to see if there are additions to yours that will make me go back and make changes on mine.

Last edited:
Finding used steps suck, I bought one at Carsile a few years back, it was cherry, I think I gave $60.00
Stopped at every vendor and it was the only one I seen in the whole swap meet that was not rusted.
As luck would have it a guy selling Ford parts had it sitting under two Motorcraft carbs.

Had to fix the one on the other side, making and grinding the welds to look like the "tits" on the side is not fun.

Sireland, I would have been all over that step plate for $60. The last time I'd seen the repopped ones listed they wanted $495 for a pair of them. It's too bad they weren't made out of stainless from Chrysler. After I get mine repaired I'm planning on coating the bottom side with POR-15 and replacing the wood support blocks with metal.

Last edited:

It looks like they're right around $100 and $10 for a package of 25 plastic sticks in various colors. I see that Dick Blick carries them. I'll have to see if they've got any in stock the next time I go to Omaha. I'm not completely sold on getting one yet though. The examples of things that I've seen online that people have made are pretty crude. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible to do better. Laying a sheet of glass over a portrait and tracing it might make a cool artsy picture.

Last edited:
First off beautiful truck, watching this has made me want a 2wd black warlock now (never did like the red of the lil red express's so Warlock it is) and the barracuda is a clean car. And as far as your comment awhile ago about a project needing everything yours isn't as bad as mine cause everything on mine has to be hand built due to what I want the car to do...

Keep it up threads like this are what keep me going on my own personal project

First off beautiful truck, watching this has made me want a 2wd black warlock now (never did like the red of the lil red express's so Warlock it is) and the barracuda is a clean car. And as far as your comment awhile ago about a project needing everything yours isn't as bad as mine cause everything on mine has to be hand built due to what I want the car to do...

Keep it up threads like this are what keep me going on my own personal project

Thanks prostreet. The truth of the matter is that I see more 'Lil Reds nowadays than I do Warlocks. I would have to have a black one myself. But I would opt not to have the gold stripe that divvies up the fenders. Most of the ones I've seen have it but I've seen some without. It'd look really badass to have a black Warlock towing your Dart.

The only parts that are still on my Barracuda that were on it when I bought it were the shell, doors. floors, steering column, tail lights, side glass, and half of the interior.

I replaced the front fenders, hood, front header and valance panels, rear quarters, K-frame, front and rear suspension, engine and transmission, rear end, front bumper. door panels, one rocker panel, re-upholstered the seats, the bezel around the instrument cluster, the heater core and fan, steering gear, tires and wheels, all of the trim, the grills, door handles, arm rests and bases, window cranks, windshield, switches, radio, speakers, dome lights, kick panels, sill plates, locks, radiator, frame connectors, and half of the wiring. I didn't do much in the way of customizing.

Our '68 Charger needed all of the same components plus full floor, trunk floor, wheel tubs, tail lights, both bumpers and rear valance.

The Roadrunner was comparatively easy and so was the Duster.

I tried to pinch each penny I stuck in the 'Cuda but I know I'm upside down on it. I love the early Barracudas but I'm pretty sure I could have put a B-body together for the same cost and it'd probably book for more money. Of course money is never the only consideration on these builds.

I love your Phoenix build. I get a stiffy every time I look at your thread. It's what I would have liked to have done but I kept reining myself in because I figured Teresa would get too scared of the car to ride in it.

For being on a budget, I kinda splurged on the motor from MRL, but it was really nice to have a dependable, streetable 500+ HP engine ready to drop in. I wish I had a better shop so I could start shooting my own paint. I did spray the gold on the Duster but I wasn't trying to get a show car finish on it so I did it as cheap as possible working in my messy garage.

Last edited:
If you gonna patch those steps, I would have used thin plate ss and tig welded with ss rod.
Then its wery wery little metal (maybe just a mm beside the weld on the chromed plate) that would be prone to rust without threatment of one kind??

Our two cars have got a lot of similarities so I'm keeping an eye on your build. I can't recall seeing any other fastback besides the two of ours painted this color. I am anxious to see if there are additions to yours that will make me go back and make changes on mine.

My build is a tight budget one as well.
I am going with the original 273 and 727 auto trans and the 8 3/4 rear diff.
I changed the column shift to a floor shift. My center console is a piece of junk but I'm going to try and make it work. The engine is totally rebuilt, but with a 340 crank.
It's not the best idea I had in keeping the 273 as the cost was crazy. I could have built three 318's or 360's for the same cost. Oh well. it's all numbers matching though.
I hope I'll be able to show a few things different with this build when done, but I doubt it.
This project was originally planned as a senior project for my sons graduation and evolved into a lot more. we enjoy working on it and learning together as we go, but he has decided to go a different route for his senior project. Guess what that means? you guessed it, all mine now.
Only issue now is we restored the car to mostly stock and now it's so far down the road with the build that I'd be afraid to go back and change a few things.
Maybe on the next one i'll get my way. All in all i'm only into the car money wise, not my labor, about $8,500 including the purchase of the car.
We'll have to stay in touch to compare them when i'm done. So far, I'd say your car is further down the strip than mine. faster too. L.O.L!!!
:glasses7:

If you gonna patch those steps, I would have used thin plate ss and tig welded with ss rod.
Then its wery wery little metal (maybe just a mm beside the weld on the chromed plate) that would be prone to rust without threatment of one kind??

Crimeny! You sure hit the nail on the head about how thin the step plates are in the area that's rusted. I cranked down the welder as far as I could and wasn't able to make much progress without popping through. I need to get a copper bar to backup the weld. After my first unsuccessful attempt I started to consider other options.

POR-15 makes a product for filling rust holes that hardens like steel, will bond to rust, and is capable of being drilled, tapped, filed, etc... I've tried it in the past and it performed as advertised. It's like a malleable putty. If I were to grind out all of the rust I can and then form it into the flawed area I should be able to smooth it out enough to hide the damage. A small bit of silver paint would make it all but disappear.

I'm trying to limit the size of the repair work so that the undamaged existing chrome still shows on 99% of the plates. A proper weld patch would mean replacing 10 to 20% of the exposed surface area. I'm afraid that would be too noticeable. For now I want to get these patched up good enough to get by until I can find decent replacements. If the steps were meant to be painted instead of plated I wouldn't hesitate to go full batsh!t crazy on them. My problem lies with trying to keep that plated surface as much intact as I can. Worst case scenario is that I'll be pulling them off for a redo, but I'm already planning on that.

Last edited:
My build is a tight budget one as well.
I am going with the original 273 and 727 auto trans and the 8 3/4 rear diff.
I changed the column shift to a floor shift. My center console is a piece of junk but I'm going to try and make it work. The engine is totally rebuilt, but with a 340 crank.
It's not the best idea I had in keeping the 273 as the cost was crazy. I could have built three 318's or 360's for the same cost. Oh well. it's all numbers matching though.
I hope I'll be able to show a few things different with this build when done, but I doubt it.
This project was originally planned as a senior project for my sons graduation and evolved into a lot more. we enjoy working on it and learning together as we go, but he has decided to go a different route for his senior project. Guess what that means? you guessed it, all mine now.
Only issue now is we restored the car to mostly stock and now it's so far down the road with the build that I'd be afraid to go back and change a few things.
Maybe on the next one i'll get my way. All in all i'm only into the car money wise, not my labor, about $8,500 including the purchase of the car.
We'll have to stay in touch to compare them when i'm done. So far, I'd say your car is further down the strip than mine. faster too. L.O.L!!!
:glasses7:

Dang! You did a heck of a lot better at keeping cost inline than I have. As far as I can see the direction you've taken the car isn't much different than mine. In some ways you've probably made wiser choices. The 4.10s are fine for around town and at the strip but they prevent me from wanting to take long road trips. I'm fine with my Hurst ratchet shifter but I think the factory consoles look better, - then again I have a bench seat. My Dana 60 is probably overkill.

One of the many good things about your car is that it was centered around being a target for your son's graduation. I know from personal experience that it helps to establish a strong bond when you work with your kids on a common project.

Last edited:
The nylon washers and screw that were missing from my wood kit showed up today, along with a bill for $6 shipping. I realize that I'm cheap but I don't see why I should have to send them the 6 bucks to cover their mistake.

img_4601-jpg.jpg

They make a nice set of products and I'd paid around $1500 to them for what I've gotten. Most of the problems I had with the wood were my own fault. (the few holes that were mislocated in the side wood was theirs) I don't wish the company ill and I'd probably do business with them again, but I am irked that they expect this extra 6 bucks.

img_4603-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_4601.jpg

View attachment IMG_4603.jpg

Last edited:
I would send them a little note with the bill stating exactly what you just said. Then forget about it.:coffee2:
Their last catalog shows the replacement step plates so it's likely that I'll be ordering from them again. As much as I dislike the $6 charge I don't want to damage my reputation or make it difficult to place a future order. I'll probably just eat the cost of the added bill. Future aggravation if I don't pony up may be more costly. I will add the note with my payment though. :banghead:

Last edited:
Their last catalog shows the replacement step plates so it's likely that I'll be ordering from them again. As much as I dislike the $6 charge I don't want to damage my reputation or make it difficult to place a future order. I'll probably just eat the cost of the added bill. Future aggravation if I don't pony up may be more costly. I will add the note with my payment though. :banghead:

I can respect your option but you should say something. The problem will continue on with someone else if they are able go get away with it. :wack::wack::wack::violent1:

Well their catalog says "customer satisfaction is our goal". Maybe that should be included in your note! :protest:

-
Back