Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
I've still been detailing small parts for the truck before assembling. Over all the Express was still in good shape but there were still areas that showed wear from the sun and from 36 years of cleaning. My instrument panel cluster was nice but the silver (chrome) detailing was pretty thin. I still haven't gotten around to getting my plater set up so I did the next best thing I could think of. I used those paint pens that I'd bought to use on the Duster's trunk lid mural.

BEFORE

View attachment 1714795079

View attachment 1714795080

AFTER

View attachment 1714795081

View attachment 1714795082

View attachment 1714795085

One nice trinket that I'd picked up over 30 years ago was a pewter 'Lil Red Express key chain. It's sort of beat up from use over the years but you can still read the logo on the sides of it. They no longer make them. I also bought one for my PT Cruiser 15 years ago.

View attachment 1714795083

View attachment 1714795084
:protest:
This is the most interesting thing I can do when it`s too cold, and dark for an old fart to go to the garage. I enjoy it, there are a few pretty darn smart guys on here. yes, there are some dumbasses-but weren`t we all at one time or another? guess I still fall into that catagory, cause I`ve put more $$ into my cars than I ever got out of them, and still doing it! Yes, there are a couple of guys on here that have totally ignored me and won`t even reply, and are always smarting off to people, you see it in almost every post they make. but at the same time-they are pretty sharp, you can tell . don`t leave the site, you amaze me w/ your energy!!-------bob:coffee2:

JOHN, I too would hate to see you back off or heaven forbid leave totally. I have only been on FABO about a year and have learned a great deal. I was out of the seen for about 30 years and just back to my MOPAR's a year ago altho I have owned them since I bought my 1sy one in Nov 68. My 69 Bee hooked me for life on Mopar's no doubt.I look forward to reading your posts every time I see them listed and get a great kick out of your humor when things don't go just right. I too noticed the negative and bullying posts and agree with your thinking there. Many times I have had to sit on my hands to keep from posting things and fear of saying the wrong things. Each and every time I did that it ended up being the right thing to do. I can take negative critisisim {sp} :) when and if I'm going the wrong way but some respond with a bully type way and knowing me I'm gonna come back and respond the wrong way. I don't want to see you back off or leave because some react the wrong way to "stupid" questions. We all had to learn in one way or another in order to build these cars and I'm sure we all asked dumb stupid questions. Take care my friend { I feel we are friends and hope you fell that way too} Your not all that far away from me and I need to put some miles on my INDY RAM, I would love to look at your cars and BS with you any day.
Jim
ps. damn I wrote a book, didn't I :-D

dcdriver, we've crossed paths on a number of different FABO threads. You've definitely been an asset to the site in the short time you've been here. I'm sure you're still jonesing for another SuperBee some day. I had a '69 440 Sixpack Bee myself. I sold it to a buddy of mine that's not to far away so I can still visit it from time to time. I doubt I'll ever take on another Mopar project other than the ones we've already got, but if I did it would probably be another SuperBee or possibly a Coronet R/T.

I thought about going to Mo-Kan dragway this year but I don't know if I'll make it. I've got some relation down in Topeka so if I ever make it to Mo-Kan I might take a side trip your way. But, like I said it's a long shot. I am definitely going to try my best to make it to the High Impact Performance Mopar show in Omaha on May 16th, and I wanted to go back to the Geezer event at Mid America Motorplex in Iowa but they changed owners and aren't listing the event for this year on their website.

I haven't heard much about that Scamp of yours that you were going to drop the 360 into. How's it coming along?

Last edited:
This is the most interesting thing I can do when it`s too cold, and dark for an old fart to go to the garage. I enjoy it, there are a few pretty darn smart guys on here. yes, there are some dumbasses-but weren`t we all at one time or another? guess I still fall into that catagory, cause I`ve put more $$ into my cars than I ever got out of them, and still doing it! Yes, there are a couple of guys on here that have totally ignored me and won`t even reply, and are always smarting off to people, you see it in almost every post they make. but at the same time-they are pretty sharp, you can tell . don`t leave the site, you amaze me w/ your energy!!-------bob:coffee2:

COLD? Bob, you're so much farther South than I am that you're practically on the equator. I know you're sort of around Tulsa. I've never been in that part of Oklahoma. I spent a Summer working in Guymen when I was in my early 20s, and I've made several trips up and down I-35. I got marooned by Norman when my truck broke down once. Come to think of it, I guess it did get pretty chilly when I had to sleep in my truck.

I decided to limit the types of threads I read on FABO instead of leaving the site. Maybe if I limit my reading time on here I can get more work done. LOL.

Last edited:
I basically just go to this forum. I will go to others when I need certain info. I check this forum and get off most of the time. Learned a long time ago that if you get too involved in all of the site, you start to get too "attached", (lack of better term).
Keep a little distance and it's much easier to deal with the jerks.
My 2 cents.

I've still been detailing small parts for the truck before assembling. Over all the Express was still in good shape but there were still areas that showed wear from the sun and from 36 years of cleaning. My instrument panel cluster was nice but the silver (chrome) detailing was pretty thin. I still haven't gotten around to getting my plater set up so I did the next best thing I could think of. I used those paint pens that I'd bought to use on the Duster's trunk lid mural.

BEFORE

View attachment 1714795079

View attachment 1714795080

AFTER

View attachment 1714795081

View attachment 1714795082

View attachment 1714795085

One nice trinket that I'd picked up over 30 years ago was a pewter 'Lil Red Express key chain. It's sort of beat up from use over the years but you can still read the logo on the sides of it. They no longer make them. I also bought one for my PT Cruiser 15 years ago.

View attachment 1714795083

View attachment 1714795084

good idea for using the paint pens. I haven't thought of that. Yet another trick learned for the day. Talk atcha later John.
Aaron...

I basically just go to this forum. I will go to others when I need certain info. I check this forum and get off most of the time. Learned a long time ago that if you get too involved in all of the site, you start to get too "attached", (lack of better term).
Keep a little distance and it's much easier to deal with the jerks.
My 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice SNKEBIT. I'd said before that maybe there's a certain ebb and flow associated with the general flavor of attitudes (positive/negative), and I'm not expecting nirvana here. I've had a tendency to look into a lot of the 'advice wanted' threads partly because I am not nearly as sharp as the expert members and am eager to learn more. I've picked up a lot of good info. But there's been a lot of non-helpful (negative) posts in some of those threads.

I'm sometimes surprised by the posts from guys that I thought were the most negative. Out of the blue they'll drop the attitude and show a side of themselves that is 100% reasonable and even reveal that they can be great guys. It's why I hesitate to complain about any single individual and choose to speak of 'the trend' instead.

I'd become somewhat of a FABO junkie. My computer in the garage is on 24/7 and one of the pages usually left open was FABO. That way I could quickly post updates on various projects and also I could follow updates on other's builds. I'm fairly reclusive in the shop. The ability to share info (back & forth) with other members holds down the level of sheer mind numbing boredom on the days I spend buffing, sanding, etc... You guys probably don't realize how excited I get when I see you making headway on the cars you're working on. It helps to keep me inspired.

But you're right SNKEBIT. A bit of a step back can sometimes be healthy.

Last edited:
good idea for using the paint pens. I haven't thought of that. Yet another trick learned for the day. Aaron...

Thanks ariffle. I tried using a small paint brush but they always seem to develop a stray hair that screws up the surrounding surfaces. I've tried toothpicks in the past but the finish never seemed to be smooth. I don't know what application most people use for these Sharpie paint pens but instrument panel detailing seems to be a good one.

Last edited:
Thanks ariffle. I tried using a small paint brush but they always seem to develop a stray hair that screws up the surrounding surfaces. I've tried toothpicks in the past but the finish never seemed to be smooth. I don't know what application most people use for these Sharpie paint pens but instrument panel detailing seems to be a good one.

Tried the toothpick gig, on gauge silver outlines. It didn't turn out, pretty. Hope you stay, that's your decision.

Hey Abodybomber, - good to hear from you. I haven't tried the paint pens on the small raised lettering for wiper switches and headlights yet but I think it'd work for them too. You might have to do it upside down to prevent any paint from running.

As I've been cleaning up the small parts for the truck I realized that Chrysler had a tendency to use a lot of silver highlights on things. My air conditioning vents had a silver edge that was badly worn. The paint pen made for a quick touch up.

img_4625-jpg.jpg

img_4631-jpg.jpg

I remembered that my front blinker lenses had a silver edge on them when they were new. Time and weather had completely worn it off. - Another rescue via paint pen.

img_4632-jpg.jpg

img_4633-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_4625.jpg

View attachment IMG_4631.jpg

View attachment IMG_4632.jpg

View attachment IMG_4633.jpg

Last edited:
It's nearly impossible to follow every build thread on FABO. There are just too many. I don't actively search them out but often I will read the ones that happen to show up in the recent daily posts. I know that means that I miss out on several that I'd otherwise find if I kept an eye on the restoration forums. There are some that I do follow but have never posted on. One of them is skypower's Hemi Cuda thread. I've checked in on it from time to time and can't wait to see how his '69 will turn out. He's got a '68 also that I think he may be planning on dropping a hemi into also.

One of my dreams would be to someday have one of them monsters in my engine bay. I'm very happy with that 408 from MRL but the WOW factor would go up ten fold if I had plug wires sticking out of my valve covers! I'd probably never get any work done though. I'd spend every day just staring under my hood.

I hope I can stay on top of the expenses on truck parts. Although most things are in good shape I've been finding things that needed replacing. Someone had shot out one of the headlights with a pellet gun so I needed to replace it. $35.

qqq-jpg.jpg

While I was cleaning the dash I noticed that the fan switch didn't want to move into the high position without wiggling it. $23.

qqqq-jpg.jpg

The plating was pretty iffy on my door handles too. $33.

qq-jpg.jpg

I found a NEW pair of front turn signal assemblies but they have clear lenses. I'll still use my old amber lenses but I needed those housings. $62.

q-jpg.jpg

It's adding up. $$$$$$$

View attachment qqq.jpg

View attachment qqqq.jpg

View attachment qq.jpg

View attachment q.jpg

Last edited:
John, where did you get those door handles?
The price looks right for my budgeted pocket book.
I wonder if they have any that were correct for the 67 barracuda? Mine are well worn and I can't afford to have them re-chromed as I'm saving for the rear trunk trim that I'm needing as well as seat foam and covers, carpet, a pillar molding and the list goes on for another mile. LOL!!!

John, where did you get those door handles?
The price looks right for my budgeted pocket book.
I wonder if they have any that were correct for the 67 barracuda? Mine are well worn and I can't afford to have them re-chromed as I'm saving for the rear trunk trim that I'm needing as well as seat foam and covers, carpet, a pillar molding and the list goes on for another mile. LOL!!!

Like most of the new parts I get, I found them on eBay. I had searched through some of the restoration outlets and their prices were more than what I was willing to spend. - After all, I simply can't afford to cough up any more $$ than I am. I don't know if there's any quality differences between the resto outlets and the eBay vendors. There probably is on some parts.

I checked the eBay seller that I bought these from and he didn't offer any for the '67. The best price I could find on eBay was $56 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-68-69-70-Charger-Daytona-Door-Handles-NEW-/171563931138?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1967|Model:Barracuda&hash=item27f201d602&vxp=mtr

qqqqq-jpg.jpg

Although they're listed as Charger items they say they interchange with the Barracuda. It looks like the gaskets are included. The seller is Vans Auto and I've bought parts through them before and been happy so far. When I went to their own website it doesn't show the door handles available but that's normal. Similar handles from Classic Industries will likely run over $100 a pair without including shipping costs.

View attachment qqqqq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks evernite. - But I've already gotten most of the ideas from others. I'm rarely innovative. So I've been picking and choosing from the ideas that everyone else had already implemented. It's always great to see someone else putting together another A-body. I assume you're working on the fastback in your avatar. - Looks pretty good already. Welcome aboard. I hope you have positive experiences on this site. There are a lot of guys that are eager to help out. I've got a handful of spare parts so give a shout out if you're needing anything.

As I was cleaning parts I focused on my radio. It's in really good shape but I saw that the silver paint on the STEREO indicator light was worn off. Once again I grabbed the paint pen. I was surprised it was as easy to re-paint those raised letters as it was. I was trying to be careful of course but it still only took about 10 seconds to make them look like new. The more I've used these pens, the more sold I am on them.
img_4638-jpg.jpg

img_4637-jpg.jpg

The fresh air ducting to the air cleaner is a pain to clean. They're not horrible but they're still dirty from 36 years of use.

img_4642-jpg.jpg

During the many years that my truck was parked in the weeds at the farm I'd had a couple of instances where I had vehicular vandalism. They trashed a '69 Camaro, my '66 Impala, the funnycar, and my Dad's Ford Ranger. The 'Lil Red escaped relatively unharmed. They had shot one of the headlights with a pellet gun, ripped the chrome DODGE emblem off the front of the hood, and broke my inside rear view mirror.

I purchased the replacement headlights for the broken one a few days ago.

img_4646-jpg.jpg

I bought an o.e.m. replacement DODGE emblem for the truck years ago.

img_4653-jpg.jpg

The factory mirror was 10 inches wide. It most likely would have needed replacing by now anyway because it has discolored over time.

img_4640-jpg.jpg

I ordered a 12 inch wide mirror replacement from SUMMIT RACING. I always like the idea of increasing rear visibility. - Add another $17 to my expense list.

View attachment IMG_4638.jpg

View attachment IMG_4637.jpg

View attachment IMG_4642.jpg

View attachment IMG_4646.jpg

View attachment IMG_4653.jpg

View attachment IMG_4640.jpg

Last edited:
I sold a 78 a couple years ago. It had sat for over 20 years in the shed. Finally sold it to a buddy so he could redo it. Some things you need to let go so someone can enjoy them. It was hard to do but I would have never done anything with it. Too many other projects.

I sold a 78 a couple years ago. It had sat for over 20 years in the shed. Finally sold it to a buddy so he could redo it. Some things you need to let go so someone can enjoy them. It was hard to do but I would have never done anything with it. Too many other projects.

I always liked the '78 grills the best. I know that '77 is essentially the same but the amber park lights really look nice on those '78s. I never liked those bird bath hoods that Dodge used pre-'79. If you didn't sop up the water off them after it rained it would eventually leave 'water marks'.

As much as I'd like to have a much more fuel efficient newer Dodge truck for a tow vehicle, it's hard to beat the cool factor in having a '60s or '70s Mopar being towed by a truck of the same vintage.

Last edited:
Parts are slowly trickling in. I got the grill/headlight assembly installed.

img_4657-jpg.jpg

Side marker lights are done.

img_4655-jpg.jpg

All chrome emblems are now on the truck.

img_4654-jpg.jpg

My rear view mirror arrived today. I drove the 'Cuda down to the parts store for adhesive.

img_4660-jpg.jpg

My new heater fan switch is in. I reinstalled the glove box.

img_4659-jpg.jpg

It took a couple of hours to clean those fresh air tubes that feed the air cleaner. They still looked dingy afterwards so I shot them with some black.

img_4662-jpg.jpg

I purchased some 1&3/4" square tubing to use in place of the original wood blocks that were under the side steps. My hope is that they'll be less prone to cause future rust issues with those side steps.

I'm waiting for l.e.d.s to come before installing the instrument cluster. The new door handles aren't here yet either - nor are the front blinker housings.

View attachment IMG_4657.jpg

View attachment IMG_4655.jpg

View attachment IMG_4654.jpg

View attachment IMG_4660.jpg

View attachment IMG_4659.jpg

View attachment IMG_4662.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back