Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Do you remember where you bought the switch for the blower motor?
Mine in my 78 is sticking so bad I am afraid its going to break.

Do you remember where you bought the switch for the blower motor?
Mine in my 78 is sticking so bad I am afraid its going to break.

I bought it off of eBay. The seller is actually AUTOZONE, but we don't have an AUTOZONE here in town. If you've got a local one they should be able to get you one. The cost was $19.99 plus $3.00 for shipping plus tax.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251726626742?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My original switch had nice detent clicks between the 3 speeds. This new one isn't as well defined. I imagine it'll still work fine but I won't know for sure until I get the truck finished.

My original switch had started behaving the way you describe yours.

Last edited:
I have had many of those switches fail. They only last so long. A guy should almost have a spare in the glovebox. :D

Last week I loaded up the Duster and hauled it to a glass shop to have the windshield installed. The boss was gone and the one worker there told me he could save me money if I returned on Saturday and helped him install it after hours. I was to call him 'early afternoon' on the 28th.

On Saturday (the 28th) I waited until 12:30 in the afternoon and called him up. He answered but said he was out of town and I should have called earlier. I was a biy miffed but figured that I could wait until he returned later. I told him to give me a call when he was ready. - If not Satrday evening, then on Sunday.

It's now Monday and I still haven't heard back from him. The truck is still hooked to the loaded trailer. I'm starting to consider putting the windshield in by myself. I don't have any of those big suction cup tools and I'm a little leery of handling the glass without an extra hand. In order to work inside I'd have to push the 'Lil Red out into the driveway. I ran out of propane for shop heat on Friday and didn't bother to get the tank filled because the truck was still hooked to the trailer. (I've got an 80 gallon tank)

I focused my attention on non-car stuff over the weekend but I don't want to be held up much longer. The clock is ticking and I know that when Spring arrives most of my time will be occupied by obligations that will prevent me from making progress on these projects.

Last week I loaded up the Duster and hauled it to a glass shop to have the windshield installed. The boss was gone and the one worker there told me he could save me money if I returned on Saturday and helped him install it after hours. I was to call him 'early afternoon' on the 28th.

On Saturday (the 28th) I waited until 12:30 in the afternoon and called him up. He answered but said he was out of town and I should have called earlier. I was a biy miffed but figured that I could wait until he returned later. I told him to give me a call when he was ready. - If not Satrday evening, then on Sunday.

It's now Monday and I still haven't heard back from him. The truck is still hooked to the loaded trailer. I'm starting to consider putting the windshield in by myself. I don't have any of those big suction cup tools and I'm a little leery of handling the glass without an extra hand. In order to work inside I'd have to push the 'Lil Red out into the driveway. I ran out of propane for shop heat on Friday and didn't bother to get the tank filled because the truck was still hooked to the trailer. (I've got an 80 gallon tank)

I focused my attention on non-car stuff over the weekend but I don't want to be held up much longer. The clock is ticking and I know that when Spring arrives most of my time will be occupied by obligations that will prevent me from making progress on these projects.

What a bummer! I wonder if he really knows his stuff and maybe it might be better just to have the BOSS do it and be done with it. Sometimes I find it a pain to try to save a few bucks and seldom does it work out as I had wished.

What a bummer! I wonder if he really knows his stuff and maybe it might be better just to have the BOSS do it and be done with it. Sometimes I find it a pain to try to save a few bucks and seldom does it work out as I had wished.

I think I'm going to try to install it myself. I hate doing some things if I don't think I've got all the proper tools first. - Especially if I'm working with something fragile like glass. You may be right to be skeptical about the guy that was going to do the install. I don't think he spent time debating whether or not to become a brain surgeon. - And I wouldn't be getting any guarantee against breakage if things went wrong. After all, I didn't purchase the windshield through them.

Once I get a few more things done on the truck I'll roll it out and get the Duster back inside. If I can get the seal softened up enough with heat I'm hoping I won't have to fight it too much.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the suction cups but never use them on rubber set glass.
I trust my hands as the best tools as they won't let go of the glass till I'm ready.
You can do it yourself if you take your time and are careful.
The most important thing to remember about installing windshields is
glass won't bend without breaking.
You will need a 1/8" nylon cord saturated in 100% silicon spray lubricant.
Keep the rubber gasket wet also.
If you have or plan any painting going on in your shop use dish soap rather than the
silicon spray as it will cause problems later for your paint. The soap will require more wettings as you progress because it can dry up and get sticky when it needs to be slick to make it go easy.
A nylon board may be used very carfully if needed. Use only the open flat palm of your hand
to pat glass into place.
If you are planning a after seal between the rubber gasket and body use liquid butyl.
It comes in a metal can with a screw on cap. There is a trigger pump that screws onto the can
when you remove the lid. Make sure you heat the can of sealant so it will be liquid enough to flow out the small needle tip. I use a heat gun or propane torch.
C.R.Lawrence sells the sealant and pump for the can.
If you have any questions before you start, just send me a pm.

Found these pictures for you.

Attachments

• t52-bon-picture1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 226
  • download.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 231
  • images (4).jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 221
I trust my hands as the best tools as they won't let go of the glass till I'm ready.
If you have or plan any painting going on in your shop use dish soap rather than the
silicon spray as it will cause problems later for your paint. The soap will require more wettings as you progress because it can dry up and get sticky when it needs to be slick to make it go easy.
A nylon board may be used very carfully if needed. Use only the open flat palm of your hand
to pat glass into place.
If you are planning a after seal between the rubber gasket and body use liquid butyl.
It comes in a metal can with a screw on cap. There is a trigger pump that screws onto the can
when you remove the lid. Make sure you heat the can of sealant so it will be liquid enough to flow out the small needle tip. I use a heat gun or propane torch.

Thanks ssba. I watched as they installed the glass on my Barracuda and the only tools that I saw them use were suction cups and a few wooden sticks that resembled knitting needles. They never used any sealant either. As far as I know, I haven't had leaks yet but I'll have to keep an eye on it.

After reading your post I went online and looked for video tutorials. I watched a few from Autorestomod. I think they were sponsored by NPD. They seem to be recommending all of the same stuff that you said to use except they were using a caulk sealant. In the video they are working on a Mustang.

PART 1

PART 2

Although these guys looked like they struggled quite a bit I think I got the gist of how to go about the installation. It does look like a second set of hands would be a plus. They say that the adhesive that they use never sets up. If I'm working by myself and it goes slow it may be an advantage to use a sealant that never hardens. I'd hate to be interrupted half way through and have to start over if things start to set up.

Last edited:
The outside door handles arrived today. I don't know why so many people seem to think that the reproduction handles are bad. These seem flawless to me. It only took a few minutes to install them but it seems as though I've misplaced the linkage rods so they aren't functional yet. I called my usual parts buddy looking for those rods and he's got some but he'd have to pull them from a truck that isn't a parts vehicle. I'll have to make some more calls to see if I can find a better option.

img_4667-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_4667.jpg

Last edited:
The outside door handles arrived today. I don't know why so many people seem to think that the reproduction handles are bad. These seem flawless to me. It only took a few minutes to install them but it seems as though I've misplaced the linkage rods so they aren't functional yet. I called my usual parts buddy looking for those rods and he's got some but he'd have to pull them from a truck that isn't a parts vehicle. I'll have to make some more calls to see if I can find a better option.

View attachment 1714797635

I might have some. let me check.:D

The guys in the videos struggled for a couple reasons.
The butyl sealant they used packaged in a caulking type tube is meant
to be used with a non rubber gasket type install. For later model mid 70s cars.
With the correct pump can of sealant with the needle application tip you can
inject the buytl after the glass is set into the car. No mess and it will get it down
where it needs to be. The needle will inject sealant on the glass & body side of the rubber seal as that is what it is designed to do for our older model cars.
Second they used nothing as a lubricant on the rubber seal and cord. This is why they
struggled for so long. It needs to be wet and able to slip into position. They installed it dry
with the sealant already on the glass. Both bad techniques.
Your duster has an easier shaped glass to install than the mustang shown in the videos
due to the rounded corners.
Their is no need for all the struggling and mess the fellows put themselves through.

Thanks again ssba! Great information! I'm a lot less nervous about tackling the installation after getting your advice. BIG THANKS!!!

Last edited:
Crap - that 2nd picture had me scared for a second! I thought maybe the winter was a little tougher than you let on when I saw the Cuda with a hole in the roof, but then realized it was your funny car shell! As Emily Litella used to say on SNL- "Oh, thats very different -never mind".....

Maybe time for my annual eyeglass exam.

Crap - that 2nd picture had me scared for a second! I thought maybe the winter was a little tougher than you let on when I saw the Cuda with a hole in the roof, but then realized it was your funny car shell! As Emily Litella used to say on SNL- "Oh, thats very different -never mind".....

Maybe time for my annual eyeglass exam.

I took the Barracuda out a couple dozen times this Winter but never exposed it to anything very nasty. The Roadrunner has been my parts getter whenever the pickup was tied to the trailer. I haven't renewed the plates on the dually so I've left it parked. Once the 'Lil Red is done it'll probably be my every day transportation most of the time.

On a side note, I noticed that there's one of those maintenance cards mounted on the inside of a spare glove box door I have. Anyone need one?

img_4683-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_4683.jpg

Last edited:
John, I know I have some. It's been below zero today and I wasn't going out in the back 40 to dig for parts. How fast you need them?

Man I thought I had a lot of tags to renew! You need to send that Cuda or RR to Fla so they can be driven!:toothy1:

to pat glass into place.
Great info!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Your collection looks cold to me. I'll take good care of them in the heated shop for you.
Leave the titles in them. Just so my wife will know what they are. Honest...
Hee,Hee,Hee...
I'm still in love with your Barracuda....

John, I know I have some. It's been below zero today and I wasn't going out in the back 40 to dig for parts. How fast you need them?

SNKEBIT, you know the routine. It's always asap. It isn't an emergency but the longer I put off finding some, the more likely I'll end up having to scrounge for some 9 months from now when I remember that I need them again. LOL. Thanks in advance again for checking.

Last edited:
-
Back