Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
I'll have to show him the pictures of your Charger the next time he stops by. I'd suggested to him that he consider putting in a Coronet grill and give it a Charger 500 look. I assume that's a steel hood you're sporting on your Charger. He'll like to see it too. One of the things that bugged him about the factory Charger hoods was that area where water tends to pool. - Any pictures of the underside of it?

Its not a great picture but here is the underside of the hood.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 234
Its not a great picture but here is the underside of the hood.

Yup, that's a crappy picture. LOL. I was curious as to how well you were able to finish off the bottom side of that hood after the modifications. I can't tell from the photo if the black sections are painted or if they're insulation.

I noticed that you're running hood pins. Was this because the center section of the original hood was modified? - to clean up the bottom of the hood? - or just a personal preference?

Tyler (the guy I sold the fenders to) was playing around with several ideas. He'd considered grafting on the center section of a '70 Roadrunner hood, just filling the stock hood indentations and making it more flat, etc... With a blower he'll need to chop a hole in the hood so he'll be modifying it one way or another. He said his goal was to mildly customize it in a way that would still create the illusion of having been a factory design but still show off his customizing skills. I'm not certain what other mods he has in mind because our discussion was limited to front end sheet metal.

26-jpg.jpg

1968_hemi_charger_by_americanmuscle-d3gn8q6-jpg.jpg

maxresdefault-jpg.jpg

charger68-69crt-hood-jpg.jpg

twin-turbo-1968-dodge-charger-custom-sliced-jpg.jpg

dodge-charger-1968-twin-turbo-viper-v10-roadster-shop-front-end-view-jpg.jpg

dodge-charger-1969-custom-1-680482854884134025-jpg.jpg

View attachment 26.jpg

View attachment 1968_hemi_charger_by_americanmuscle-d3gn8q6.jpg

View attachment maxresdefault.jpg

View attachment charger68-69CRT hood.JPG

View attachment twin-turbo-1968-Dodge-Charger-custom-Sliced.jpg

View attachment dodge-charger-1968-twin-turbo-viper-v10-roadster-shop-front-end-view.jpg

View attachment dodge-charger-1969-custom-1-680482854884134025.jpg

Last edited:
LOL,I can take some better pics.
The whole front clip is all welded together and one piece now.
When I built the grill surround I had it all welded and body work done when I realized that I never made the hole to use the factory hood release. So instead of cutting a hole in the top surround I just put the hood pins on. I was going to put them on anyway so it just made it cleaner and easier no to use any of the factory hood release.

With all the rain it's given me a few small windows of time to look at the cars. A while back I tried to add an orange pinstripe to my tail stripe. I thought it sucked. But today I did decide to stripe my wheels. I don't think it looks all that great in pictures but I do like the look of the car better with them in person. The tires & wheels need to be cleaned yet. The whole 'daily driver' thing accumulates a lot of dirt.

The individual wheel photos don't look so hot but the overall effect adds a very subtle bling to the car. Maybe I should think about changing the color of those wheel stud plugs to orange instead of the red.

img_5099-jpg.jpg

img_5100-jpg.jpg

img_5101-jpg.jpg

img_5102-jpg.jpg

img_5103-jpg.jpg

img_5104-jpg.jpg

I've gotten a few gravel chips in the paint that I need to touch up. I'm not sure if I'll be going to the big Mopar show in Omaha on Saturday. The weather forecast says rain.

View attachment IMG_5099.jpg

View attachment IMG_5100.jpg

View attachment IMG_5101.jpg

View attachment IMG_5102.jpg

View attachment IMG_5103.jpg

View attachment IMG_5104.jpg

Last edited:
Too many things going on at the same time. It was rainy most of the day here so I didn't get the 'Cuda loaded onto the trailer until this afternoon. Then I got stuck. The back lot was so soupy wet that I couldn't move the loaded trailer. - So I unloaded and moved everything to the street in front of our house. By the time I was done everything was splattered with mud. I ran to the car wash and did a quicky cleaning job before dark.

Three days ago the forecast for Saturday said a 100% chance of rain. Two days ago it said the likelihood was 80%. Yesterday it said 60%. Today it shows less than 50% during the car show but thunderstorms later on.

I thought about driving the 'Cuda there but the roads will probably be pretty messy. If the streets and highways would be dry I wouldn't have to worry about having to spend a bunch of time getting the road grit off after getting there. The show is advertised as 'rain or shine', but if the weather looks crappy in the morning I still may skip it. I'd hate to miss the swap meet though.

img_5115-jpg.jpg

img_5116-jpg.jpg

img_5118-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_5115.jpg

View attachment IMG_5116.jpg

View attachment IMG_5118.jpg

Last edited:
Too many things going on at the same time. It was rainy most of the day here so I didn't get the 'Cuda loaded onto the trailer until this afternoon. Then I got stuck. The back lot was so soupy wet that I couldn't move the loaded trailer. - So I unloaded and moved everything to the street in front of our house. By the time I was done everything was splattered with mud. I ran to the car wash and did a quicky cleaning job before dark.

Three days ago the forecast for Saturday said a 100% chance of rain. Two days ago it said the likelihood was 80%. Yesterday it said 60%. Today it shows less than 50% during the car show but thunderstorms later on.

I thought about driving the 'Cuda there but the roads will probably be pretty messy. If the streets and highways would be dry I wouldn't have to worry about having to spend a bunch of time getting the road grit off after getting there. The show is advertised as 'rain or shine', but if the weather looks crappy in the morning I still may skip it. I'd hate to miss the swap meet though.

View attachment 1714815801

View attachment 1714815802

View attachment 1714815803

The Cuda looks real good with the accents added John..
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: :glasses7:

The Cuda looks real good with the accents added John..
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: :glasses7:

Thanks ariffle. When I look at the pictures it seems sort of ehh, but I really do like that wheel striping from a real world view. I sometimes choose to try things that end up sucking but I think I'll keep these stripes.

I worked on readying things for the car show/swap meet until 1 am. This morning I woke up at 5. I always have a hard time sleeping when I've got plans for the next day. I checked the weather forecast and the chance of rain is now down to 20% until mid-afternoon. - Then they still have thunderstorms predicted. It's overcast and I hear thunder already. We'll see how it goes.

I did assemble a pile of used parts to take. My old fuel cell, some Mopar Performance valve covers, a Dodge truck grill & door panels, some Barracuda emblems, a Chebby tunnelram, a stuffed Wyle E Coyote, decals, etc... Maybe I'll be able to pay for my gas and entry fee.

Last edited:
It wasn't 7 am yet and the sky was filled with dark low hanging clouds. It started to rain when I got about 2 miles out of town. I wasn't optimistic about the way the day was going already.

5 miles from home I was to meet up with a few of my buddies that were going to sell parts at the swap meet. We managed to all arrive at the same time. Despite the weather condition we decided to drive on. Omaha was still around 60 miles east of us and we hoped things would clear up. Teresa rode shotgun in the pickup. The Ford didn't give me any problems but I kept it about 5 mph under the speed limit because of the road conditions. I was lead vehicle. It rained off and on all the way to Omaha, but less frequently the closer we got.

When we pulled in there were only a few cars there. I figured that either everyone was staying home or else they were waiting for the rain to go away. I unloaded the 'Cuda and started setting up the parts for sale on the trailer. I didn't have that many but figured I'd still be clearing up some garage floor space.

Despite the gloomy conditions the rain abated. I wish there'd been a car wash handy because the Barracuda was pretty dirty from the trip. I sponged off the most noticeable areas but access to water was limited to a drinking fountain about 100 yards away. It took a while to collect and carry it to the car.

Eventually the sun did come out and it was a nice day. I sold about $300 worth of parts. I counted 103 vehicles that had entered the car show. - Not a terrible turn out but way down from the number of cars that entered last year. bcuda452 was there with his '68 'Cuda. He lives in Omaha so I had hoped he'd show. I did a lot of bullsh*tting with the various car owners as I walked around taking pictures. Many of the entrants were latecomers. I suppose that was due to the weather.

img_5249-jpg.jpg

img_5250-jpg.jpg

img_5251-jpg.jpg

Around 10 o'clock I happened to notice a '64 Polara drive in. I remarked to Doug (bcuda452) that I used to own one that looked just like it. When I talked to the owner I found out that it ACTUALLY WAS my old car. He had purchased it from the person I'd sold it to over 30 years ago. He knew that it had come from David City and was shocked to meet me. He replaced the old wideblock 318 with a 426 Wedge and had gotten rid of the dash mounted pushbutton automatic controls. A 4-speed shifter took it's place. It looked awesome! I knew I was a fool for having sold it years ago but it was great to see that it had been so well taken care of.

img_5140-jpg.jpg

img_5141-jpg.jpg

img_5142-jpg.jpg

img_5143-jpg.jpg

img_5144-jpg.jpg

img_5145-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_5140.jpg

View attachment IMG_5141.jpg

View attachment IMG_5142.jpg

View attachment IMG_5143.jpg

View attachment IMG_5144.jpg

View attachment IMG_5145.jpg

View attachment IMG_5249.jpg

View attachment IMG_5250.jpg

View attachment IMG_5251.jpg

Last edited:
Satan must be shivering down there. The only other picture I have from the car show is this one.

img_5259-jpg.jpg

That's right. My unblemished record at car shows has finally been broken. I came in 3rd in my class.

(by the way, bcuda452 came in 2nd)

I knew I should have left a bunch of greasy fingerprints all over Doug's 'Cuda!!!

So, 2 of us FABO members placed at the Omaha car show today! My old '64 Polara won in it's class too.

View attachment IMG_5259.jpg

Last edited:
The day had started out looking bleak. Rain, wind, and even worse things were in the forecast. But the day turned out great. The weather stayed clear while we were there. Not only did I get my first award at a car show but I made $300 selling parts. I managed to find my old '64 Polara and I made a bunch of new friends.

My plan for tomorrow was to return to Omaha to pick up some area rugs for the house we're working on. The folks we were buying them from had said they wouldn't be available on Saturday. Just for the heck of it I decided to give them a call before we headed home. As it turns out, their plans had changed and we were able to load the rugs up before leaving Omaha. - Great!! Things were really looking up!

On the way to their house I stopped at a gas station so Teresa could use the restroom. I had the munchies and was in the mood for pastry. As I walked towards the bakery display I saw one of the workers sliding the tray of donuts & rolls out of the cabinet. He noticed I appeared interested in them and asked me if I wanted any. - Spying a chocolate covered cream filled longjohn, I went ahead and grabbed it. He said I could just go ahead and have it for free because it was time for them to throw away any unsold pastry. Damn! It was my lucky day!

I stopped in Wahoo, Nebraska before returning home and bought a lottery ticket.

Sounds like you had an awesome time.
Really good variety of quality cars at the show.

Congratulations on the award John! I think those pinstripes on the wheels put you over the top. Seriously I agree with ariffle that they look good.

On another note, that pink cuda (68?) at the show certainly sticks out!

-
Back