Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Great stuff!

You Yanks sure take Halloween seriously ...

I still remember a few of the houses I trick or treated at when I was a youngster. It was sort of fun getting the bejeezus scared out of us. It's the one time of the year when you have the opportunity to amaze the kids that come over. I usually don't decorate outside for Christmas because I hate the cold weather.

Last edited:
I usually don't decorate outside for Christmas because I hate the cold weather.

Nebraska, huh. Yeah. I've been two weeks in Kearney in january, I believe. It was AWFUL! Snow, freezing and high winds. Brrr!

I was amazed to see the coal trains, though. Not going political here, but MY GOD, the amount of coal the big cities in the east consume!

Nebraska, huh. Yeah. I've been two weeks in Kearney in january, I believe. It was AWFUL! Snow, freezing and high winds. Brrr!

I was amazed to see the coal trains, though. Not going political here, but MY GOD, the amount of coal the big cities in the east consume!

most of the coal plants are so clean burning that you can`t even smell them now.

As much as I despise putting up with the Winter cold, I pity the folks that live farther North. It's hard for me to visualize New York city with several feet of snow. I've never been there but it seems that traffic congestion would be a nightmare.

The vast majority of what I see trains pulling across Nebraska is either grain or coal. Most of the coal seems to be going East.

Last edited:
most of the coal plants are so clean burning that you can`t even smell them now.

I'm not one of those big tree hugger types but I remember back in the 70s when places like Los Angeles ran smog alerts. Some things have changed for the better.

Last edited:
John, I always enjoy seeing how you decorate for Halloween. Please post pictures when your get your front yard decorated.

I have to admit I get a kick out of them trick-or-treaters. The community is small enough that most people feel safe. The look of amazement on some of those little kids is priceless. I hope that our place will be one that they'll remember fondly as they grow up. I know I still have a vague memory of some of the spookier places in town back when I was a kid.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to capture very good images of our place after dark. I've been messing with and testing the lighting to get things set up right. Today I went to Menards and bought a half dozen of those solar pathway lights. They had them on sale for 75 cents each. When I got home I saw that FedEx had dropped off one of the projectors I bought off eBay. I guess I'll have to start monkeying around with the stuff around dusk tonight.

We have 3 computers here but Teresa's computer is all screwed up. It tends to happen after her grandkids have been over. They didn't chew on any of the cords but I suppose they found ways to delete important Windows files when they were hammering on the keyboard. I still need a third computer to mate with the third projector. As a sideline I fix computers (free of charge) for folks around town. I suppose I'll have to spend most of today trying to repair hers.

Last edited:
Did you finish the other house project or just taking a break from it for a while?

They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I guess by that definition my son is totally sane. Every time I think we've got a plan of action for his 512 Charger build he throws something new into the equation.

We started out with a stock suspension that I rebuilt. - He decided to switch the front to a HDK tubular front, coil-over, rack & pinion setup.

I replaced his rusted out floor pans with new AMD sheet metal. - He decided to change the (originally automatic) R/T to a 4-speed. I had to chop a hole in the new floor to add the hump. AND now he's talked about adding a Gear Vendors overdrive that will necessitate more cutting.

We'd freshened up our 6-71 and I did have to modify the bottom of the blower case and snout to clear our distributor and also had to notch the intake. Then it was decided that we needed a bigger blower. So I guess we're going to be buying an 8-71.

We'd bought the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads for the 512 but switched direction after Mike (from MRL) told us they wouldn't flow enough to hit Spencer's HP goals. It sounded as though we'd be going with some Max-Wedge design heads so I measured our blower intake to make sure it was compatible. Now my son is thinking about a set of B-1s.

My son had me cut apart the supercharger intake to build in a pair of heat exchangers for an intercooler. If we go with the B-1 heads we'll have to get another intake now.

The tti headers we'd bought for the Charger ended up being used on the Roadrunner after my son decided that 2" primaries were too small.

We'd narrowed the 8&3/4 rear and installed Moser axles. I think we're still good with using it but my son is now thinking the new 15X10 Keystone Klassics won't allow him enough tire for traction. He wants to switch to a pair of 15X12s and ditch the new M/T cheater slicks that are mounted on them.

Yup, my son must be completely sane because we never seem to get a chance to do the same thing twice. Heck, we rarely get a chance to complete things the first go around.

Win/win situations: You get to play hot rod, your son picks up the bill... Just damn...ly... awesome...,John....

Did you finish the other house project or just taking a break from it for a while?

I WISH!! No, we're not done with the house yet. We're still slowly making progress but I'd been ignoring so many other things while we were totally focused on the house. Now I'm trying to play catch up with the things that I couldn't get to before. Nothing major for house progress recently. With Winter coming soon I'm trying to make sure I've got my projects that are outside taken care of.

Last edited:
Nice ride ! I love the color !

Thanks mopar383. My son would have preferred that I'd have built a Dart like your '72. I think he sees the similarity between the roof-line/body shape of those Darts and the B-body Mopars.

Last edited:
Win/win situations: You get to play hot rod, your son picks up the bill... Just damn...ly... awesome...,John....

My ability to focus on one project at a time sort of sucks. Juggling several makes life interesting. I seriously doubt I'd ever have a chance to mess with most of this stuff if my son didn't want to keep upping the ante on his goals.

Last edited:
Aren't you going to ask what the heck I was doing for two weeks in Kearney? :D

I have to admit, - that thought DID cross my mind. I usually wonder why anyone ever comes to Nebraska. I've heard of folks here going to Sweden for vacations but that seems a lot more sane than coming to Nebraska (during Winter) for the same reason. LOL.

The only times I ever go to Kearney is to go to the drags. They do have a 1/4 mile strip there.

So... - What in the heck brought you to my neck of the woods? Are you a psychologist doing field studies of deviant behaviors?

Last edited:
Ha ha!

No, I'm an engineer. We were commissioning a machine at the Eaton plant. It was a total disaster and we ended up spending weeks on end in that HELL of a factory, spending BIG bucks only to fail in the end.

Ate at Hardee's a lot, though. Never seen so many calories in one wrapper before or after. And one night we ended up in some college dorm party. Good times. BFF after that, my two colleagues and me.

Fascinated by the museum that arches the I-80.

No, I'm an engineer. We were commissioning a machine at the Eaton plant. It was a total disaster and we ended up spending weeks on end in that HELL of a factory, spending BIG bucks only to fail in the end.

BWAAAH HA HA!! I've never been in the Eaton factory but it's not uncommon to see old technology still in use. Many of the factories are still using remnants of machinery from the 1940s. After WWII ended the equipment made to support the war effort was re-purposed to produce commercial goods. They're still being used today. I spent a number of years upgrading industrial equipment in factories to meet OSHA and EC standards. I'm not making fun of them. They got the job done. But it was frustrating at times. A lot of people really resist change even when it's beneficial.

One of the factories I worked at averaged 1 amputation every 6 months over the previous 10 years. Another one averaged 1 amputation every 4 months. Accidents resulting in amputations were no longer a concern by the time I was finished.

Ate at Hardee's a lot, though. Never seen so many calories in one wrapper before or after. And one night we ended up in some college dorm party. Good times. BFF after that, my two colleagues and me.

Ya, unfortunately the cattle aren't the only ones around here that look 'corn fed'. I never went to any dorm parties but I did consume my fair share of barley pops when I was young.

Fascinated by the museum that arches the I-80.

It's not exactly the Smithsonian but it breaks up the monotony if you're driving down I-80.

Last edited:
After several failed boot attempts I ran some diagnostics on Teresa's computer. Crap! The hard drive is kaput. I ordered a 1 TB replacement off eBay. I still need to hunt down our 64 bit Win 7 disc so I can get the system back up after the new hard drive arrives. If everything goes well I should have her computer up and running in plenty of time before Halloween.

Ha ha!

Nothing wrong with Hardee's, actually there is a coupon on the dinning room table for 2 sausage biscuits for 1.69......sounds like breakfast in the AM tomorrow.

-
Back