Another new member from Maine - 65 Cuda

-

1965cudav8

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just picked up my first mopar project, a 1965 barracuda thats been sitting in a nice dry garage for the last 9 years. Its still a little cold to really start working but I did get the most important part out of the way, getting that 273 started after sitting for 9 years! Took a few hours of tinkering and three fuel filters but she turned over and idled fine for over an hour before i turned it back off. Got some sweet flames out of the carb and a pile of gunk under the exhaust. Good times.

Ill be sure to start a resto thread in the near future. Next steps are to flush the radiator, replace brake lines and front wheel cylinders, and get a new battery. Hoping to drive it home from to Maine from the garage where its sitting in Vermont within the next three weeks.

Attachments

• 2011-03-23 16.51.32.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 159
  • 2011-03-23 16.51.45.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 2011-03-23 16.51.22.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 158
Welcome from New Hampshire! I see your is in gold-a Barracuda only color. FYI left and right side lug nuts turn opposite from each other.

You might want to double check on the engine size. The turquoise isn't the correct color for a 273 & neither are the valve covers on your engine. It's an old car so those things could have been changed but you might have a bigger engine too.

Welcome aboard =D>
I am sure you know you have found and joined the best of the best sites going

So good to see yet another gold early A body here.
64 Cuda is on to something =D> take a close look and see what small block you might have :thumbrig:

Attachments

• Challenger%20IN%20NASCAR%20Cup%20race%20017.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 126
Wow, good info already thanks guys. I just assumed it was the original motor as the PO had no forthcoming knowledge of it being swapped. He did, however, say it had undergone some major work around 2000. Ill be sure to check the casting numbers next time im out there. Maybe you can tell this is my first mopar project huh? haha

There will be a casting number on the left (driver's) side of the block that will tell you for sure the engine size. I think there's also some numbers stamped on the block at the front end of the driver's side head on later engines that will give info but I'm not up on all of that. You'll probably need a mirror to see the numbers on the side of the block but you might be able to see them from underneath with a good flashlight. Take some Brakekleen or something like that to clean the block if it's dirty.

Does this car have an automatic or a manual trans? There's some things that could come back to bite you if it's an auto & an engine swap was done incorrectly.

yeah its an auto. havent gotten it out of the garage yet to test the tranny though. still working on brakes and fuel. hopefully when i get down there monday to work on it again ill have an answer about the casting number for you guys. before the guy i bought it from it was owned by a mopar shop in upstate new york. ill surf through the paperwork and figure out who they were, try and give them a call.

Welcome to the site. Lots of great guys & gals here who are more than willing to help. Some have a gruff way of putting things when they write but their hearts are in the right place. That definitely looks like a latter motor. Dreams of 340's and 360's dancing in your head?

Welcome fellow Mainer. Let me know when you decide to 340 that old girl. I have about 12 of them ive been gathering over the years. LOL! I knew someone would want them at a later date.

Welcome to the site. Lots of great guys & gals here who are more than willing to help. Some have a gruff way of putting things when they write but their hearts are in the right place. That definitely looks like a latter motor. Dreams of 340's and 360's dancing in your head?

haha maybe...im thinking it may have a 318 in it based on a few factors, but ill know for sure monday when i get back over there and read the casting number

Welcome fellow Mainer. Let me know when you decide to 340 that old girl. I have about 12 of them ive been gathering over the years. LOL! I knew someone would want them at a later date.

nice, Mainers unite! and yeah, thats a nice collection there. whereabouts in Maine are you located?

oh and thanks to all you welcome wagoneers, ive already gotten alot of great info from you...and im going to need it haha

Yeah the most likely candidate would be a 318. They make a nice motor for the little Cudas with a little massaging. I love mine in my 65. Someone has put some time into it with a motor swap and MSD. New projects are "like opening up a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get".

Hey another Mainiac!! Welcome! I'm in Rangeley! If you ever up in the Woods let me know!!

FYI left and right side lug nuts turn opposite from each other.

One of 'Mother Mopars' unique ideas. Driver-side lugs are left-hand thread and passenger-side lugs are right-hand thread. Don't want you breaking the studs trying to get the lug nuts off!

Welcome to FABO from SoCal on the left coast. You're going to have fun here.

so i hope alot of you are still following this, just started looking for the casting numbers and taking a real eval of what i have under the hood. took this pic to start of the edelbrock streetmaster 318...topped with a brand new looking carter afb. this car is full of surprises!

Attachments

• 2011-03-28 13.48.48.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 80
Hello and welcome I'm up in Greene, although I went to school in Portland and the wifes from S.Portland.

-
Back