Another rant.......licensing stupidity........

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
OK, when I got into HVAC/R service, there WAS NO license required for R12, 22, all the rest, but I did HAVE one later. Of course I haven't kept that up........

I decided to find out about a 30lb jug of R134A, as the parts stores just RAPE you on 1LB cans. But pickin's are slim here in town, there is likely only the one supplier, so I called them...........

"You need a license for that"

"Why, I can buy all I want at the parts stores without one"

"It's the quantity"

OK, so ?? I can go to the parts stores, drive around 1/2 a day, and buy up all they have for 30 lbs if that's what I want, get RAPED on the price, BUT I NEED A LICENSE to have it all in one "handy" jug?

OK, when I got into HVAC/R service, there WAS NO license required for R12, 22, all the rest, but I did HAVE one later. Of course I haven't kept that up........

I decided to find out about a 30lb jug of R134A, as the parts stores just RAPE you on 1LB cans. But pickin's are slim here in town, there is likely only the one supplier, so I called them...........

"You need a license for that"

"Why, I can buy all I want at the parts stores without one"

"It's the quantity"

OK, so ?? I can go to the parts stores, drive around 1/2 a day, and buy up all they have for 30 lbs if that's what I want, get RAPED on the price, BUT I NEED A LICENSE to have it all in one "handy" jug?
Go to the advance auto online parts store and order you 30 pound container use their discount to kill most of the shipping cost. that's what I had to do to get a 30 pound unit
OR have them order you one and you come in and pick it up.

I've bought 30lbs tanks at O'reilly without any troubles.
I've yet to be asked for any kind of license and quite frankly, not sure where I'd have to go to get one.
I used to go to the classes that 1-800Radiator used to put on, but thats it.

Continuation of rant LMAO

So I do NOT like wallymart, and from here, it's a few miles, you are not ever really sure from their website if they actually have something ...........BUT..........

They listed R134A for 4.88 a can. So "about five bucks" X 30 is 150 bucks, that compares favorably, so I went out there.

I'm rolling up to a light, the light is "plugged" (no sudden stop, there's 20 cars all told) and some jackass rolls into my behind........the junk Dakota

I'm in a REAL bad mood RIGHT THERE. Got out and RAILED on this dumbass who appeared to be "Eastern European" or some ****. YELLED him right into a hole. MOTHERF......WATCH WHERE THE HELL YOU ARE GOING!!!! GET YOUR HEAD UP AND PAY THE F........ATTENTION.

"I sorrr......eeeee......I sooorrrrr....eeeeeeeee"

The "good news" is Wallymarsh had them, I bought 10. That will be plenty "for now."

I've bought 30lbs tanks at O'reilly without any troubles.
I've yet to be asked for any kind of license and quite frankly, not sure where I'd have to go to get one.
I used to go to the classes that 1-800Radiator used to put on, but thats it.

Wat'd it cost you remember? This guy would not even give me a price. Screw him. He lost a big sale being a jackass

Continuation of rant LMAO

So I do NOT like wallymart, and from here, it's a few miles, you are not ever really sure from their website if they actually have something ...........BUT..........

They listed R134A for 4.88 a can. So "about five bucks" X 30 is 150 bucks, that compares favorably, so I went out there.

I'm rolling up to a light, the light is "plugged" (no sudden stop, there's 20 cars all told) and some jackass rolls into my behind........the junk Dakota

I'm in a REAL bad mood RIGHT THERE. Got out and RAILED on this dumbass who appeared to be "Eastern European" or some ****. YELLED him right into a hole. MOTHERF......WATCH WHERE THE HELL YOU ARE GOING!!!! GET YOUR HEAD UP AND PAY THE F........ATTENTION.

"I sorrr......eeeee......I sooorrrrr....eeeeeeeee"

The "good news" is Wallymarsh had them, I bought 10. That will be plenty "for now."

I think I recall seeing a "truck part" for sale near you that 'came off a Dakota'....

You're in luck...

Tell ya. After that woman wrecked my Ranger, I'm a bit touchy, junk Dakota or not...............

(98 super loaded with only 85K)

I bought a big jug years ago in AZ. Will need to get some juice for the Explorer. Will be going to talk
to my buddy at Napa, will let you know what he says...

del, i know were miles apart, but if you have a sams club nearby, you can check with them. i buy 30 lb containers of 134 from them all the time. just bought one the other day for 72 bucks. no license needed. dave.

Lol.... You need some R&R....

I had a guy rearend me with his Expedition a few weeks ago.... I had him pull over into a parking lot to check for damage.... No damage so I said " **** happens"... He was really freaking out!

Oh yeah... I WAS ON MY MOTORCYCLE!
I told him I take bigger hits in hockey.. ..

del, i know were miles apart, but if you have a sams club nearby, you can check with them. i buy 30 lb containers of 134 from them all the time. just bought one the other day for 72 bucks. no license needed. dave.

Wow we are REALLY getting ripped on the small cans. Nearest once according to the locator or clear over on the W coast of WA and clear down in the S end of Idaho

Wat'd it cost you remember? This guy would not even give me a price. Screw him. He lost a big sale being a jackass
O'reilly sells it on their website as a pick up item for $199. But I'd shop around, you can get it much cheaper.
I'm in Ohio and it cost me about $85 or so. It was definitely under a $100. Now, I went down to Florida to visit my dad. His A/C was leaking on 2 cars and then his buddy needed a charge. I figured I'll just go buy a 30lb jug for what the 7 or 8 cans would cost. Oh no! In Florida it was $220 for the same brand jug I just bought a couple weeks earlier. Huge price difference.
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. When I worked at the dealership, I would shop around for my r134a. I think I was giving $69 for a 30# jug. Keep in mind, I was buying 10 or 20 jugs at a time. So $2.30 a lb my cost. I then added the r134a into my inventory with the Mopar P/N and the assigned cost and list. Last summer Mopar had r134a cost at $12.00 lb. List on it was $21.00. Now if I bought my r134a from Mopar, that's what it would have cost me. I could get a price break, but I would have to buy a pallet, and then the break would only be a dollar or less per pound.
By buying outside I could pack my inventory $291 per jug and still make $561 after cost per jug.
I know I wasn't the only one doing this. So what I guess I'm telling you is that when it comes to having a shop do your A/C work, if you can, bring your own r134a. That was a huge profit center for us.
As of last summer, R12 was down on price too. I saw it at $300 for a 30# jug. I was shocked because the last time I bought it, it was $1500 a jug. The demand has dropped to almost nothing. So keep your eyes out, there are bargains to be had.

I bought 3 cans of R12 from a surplus house and the guy asked me for a license when I called him up. I said I didnt have one so he told me to fill out and bring in a downloaded form saying that it was only meant for resale. Yeah, sure bub, whatever it takes. got my 3 cans....and I used them, Shhhhh.

I bought 3 cans of R12 from a surplus house and the guy asked me for a license when I called him up. I said I didnt have one so he told me to fill out and bring in a downloaded form saying that it was only meant for resale. Yeah, sure bub, whatever it takes. got my 3 cans....and I used them, Shhhhh.

If someone asks if you're a god - say yes...

- Ghostbusters

Just like buying 2-4D weed killer. Gov says without a sprayer license I can only buy a gallon a day.Why? What's to stop me from sending someone else to buy it the same day or several people or buying it from different places on the same day, you don't sign for it.

Just like buying 2-4D weed killer. Gov says without a sprayer license I can only buy a gallon a day.Why? What's to stop me from sending someone else to buy it the same day or several people or buying it from different places on the same day, you don't sign for it.

Typical government passing laws that don't really fix the problem that it was intended to do... It give the voters the illusion that the politicians are doing something when in fact they are f*cking it up worse....

Why can't I buy two or three boxes of decongestant at the drug store?? I have to sign for it every time and I can only buy one box within a given window of time.. Just because some people make meth out of it, they have to inconvenience the people that really could benefit from it... The guy cooking meth needs more than a few boxes - WTF???? The meth dealers will just break into the stores, warehouses, train cars and steal it by the case.... So how does this help the meth problem....

If you are a single parent and you and the kids catch the same cold at the same time and need decongestant, you can't get what you need to take care of your family....

Yeah, typical politicians creating more problems instead of solving them...

Witch Hunt.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back