Another riding lawn mower what did i break on it question....

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So I knew I should not have done what I did, but I did it before and guess I was just lucky....

Older Craftsman lawn tractor - like 15-20 yrs old, I think. 17hp Kohler. Apparently I blew out the start/run circuit when I was using it to jump start my other riding lawn mower. I know, I know.....

Anyway, it was running great, other mower was dead. Jumper cables were right there, so we hooked them up. All was good until the 4th attempt at cranking the 2nd mower up. The dang thing just died. I get no crank by the key. If I jump the starter directly, it will crank, but have no spark.

I've already metered out the ignition switch as good. What is the most probable thing to look for that I blew out?

Might not be what it is but won't hurt to look. Down by where your right foot sits on the mower, look in that area between the firewall and the motor and see if you can find an inline fuse. Mine kept blowing fuses there and it wouldn't run. I applied tricks learned doing linework and haven't had anymore trouble. My Craftsman rider is so old....I've often wondered what Noah did with the other one!

My 2004 Craftsman 17 HP Kohler single popped the starter relay about 5 years ago.

Super easy fix. Part was cheap. Kind of looks like a "standard/Mopar" relay.

Trace the wires, but mine was mounted on the body near the gas tank, under the hood.

Can't remember if I had to take the gas tank out to replace it.

10-15 minute job.

One again--I sit here with no wiring diagram. Generally, there can be several switches that kill ignition and or starter circuit "for safety. First thing to do is find the mag kill wire right where it enters the mag and temporarily disconnect that. This will separate the problem. Then determine why it won't crank. You will at least have a clutch switch, a neutral switch, and possibly a seat switch. These could be either in the crank wire circuit going to the solenoid, or in the grounding side circuit. Disconnect either of the two small solenoid connections (if it has two) and monitor one and then the other with a meter/ test lamp and see if you get a "crank signal.

The first thing that happened to mine was the seat switch became intermittent.

Bypassed it and left it that way.

I'd almost bet money on the relay.

Especially since it's about the same age as mine.

Should be a simple trace of the wires continuity test. There's not a lot of wires on those things. My grandfather had a dozen probably I was just riding one of his old ones last month or so. Hes long since passed, '05...but his mowers he loved live on. Now I think I might take in my grandma's cat since she just passed away. Got to fix they're old 66 Lincoln and sell off some of the other cars that have been yard ornaments for 10 years or so.
You might just buy a spool of wire and start bypassing some things cut it out of the loop and make a direct route. Good luck

Thanks all - i haven't taken the time to look at it any further yet.... I'll update my findings when i find them.

There should be a main fuse somewhere. Mine has a 30A fuse in a wired in fuse holder.

-
Back