another Scarebird question

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Been thinking (obsessing)over what to do for a disc brake conversion on my 67 Dart (10 drums). Right now it is between the scarebird kit or 73 and up. Couple questions on scarebird, are the parts easily and redily available? Did a disc brake kit on a 51 Plymouth (think it was a Ply-do kit) used Chrysler rotors and GM calipers, the caliper bolts were for a Cadillac and took me about 4 parts stores before I found them. Also does anyone know what aftermarket wheels will fit (been obsessing over some Keystone Klassics). And does this kit change alignment, the kit on the 51 moved the steering arms in 1/4 per side.
On 73 and up, I found a k-member, and front suspension parts inside a 48 Plymouth street rod project that had a volare front suspension installed, looked to be a-body(I think)at a local u-pull it. How would I verify loose parts as being a-body.
Thank
Aaron

Scarebird- I found all my parts on RockAuto pretty easily. Try to find parts all shipping from
The same RockAuto warehouse and you'll save on shipping.
Wheels- I used 14" mopar steelies.

Scarebird- I found all my parts on RockAuto pretty easily. Try to find parts all shipping from
The same RockAuto warehouse and you'll save on shipping.
Wheels- I used 14" mopar steelies.

Subcom is right on about the Scarebird parts. All readily available; Rockauto being a good place to start. Oddly enough, some of the parts can even be found on Amazon as well.

Yes we can find the parts today. They may not be so easy to find many years from now ( if that matters to anyone ).

Subcom is right on about the Scarebird parts. All readily available; Rockauto being a good place to start. Oddly enough, some of the parts can even be found on Amazon as well.

Mind my words- in two years Amazon will be in the auto industry as well as the durable goods industry...they are going monolithic

Been trying to decide on discs, would like to keep my options pen for aftermarket wheels, which won't fit on scarebird. If I go 73 & up, need to change rearend. Almost jumped on some KH sbp brakes in the for sale section until I looked at the price of calipers on rock auto.
Thanks
Aaron

Been trying to decide on discs, would like to keep my options pen for aftermarket wheels, which won't fit on scarebird. If I go 73 & up, need to change rearend. Almost jumped on some KH sbp brakes in the for sale section until I looked at the price of calipers on rock auto.
Thanks
Aaron

Why would Scarebird keep you from aftermarket wheels? Most aftermarkets are at least 15", which should fit Scarebird. I think there are even some guys with 14" Cragars and stock wheels on them.

Edit: I see you are looking at keystone classics. I couldn't say if they'd fit or not.

Bit the bullet and ordered the kit. May have to either replace one front hub or take it to the machinist because some of the studs where welded in. Decided that in all reality as much as I would like aftermarket wheels I probably will not buy any unless I run across a super deal(cheap!). Will have to come up with a 14" spare though, as mine now is a 13" complete with toyo bias ply.

Thanks
Aaron

I'm using the scarebird conversion.(I redrilled my front hubs and used a screw in stud for 5 on 4.5 that way I can replace the rotors and NOT have to drill for Small bolt pattern) they made so many of the cars that use these parts(calipers and rotors) I doubt that you'll have a problem finding parts for years to come. heck of a lot cheaper than buying new calipers for the kelsey hayes stuff
I've have 14 LBP in rally's on mine now and have test fitted 14" slotted mags(unknown name )17" mustang bullet rims, a couple(4) of aftermarket 5 spoke similar to cragars and they all fit well (well the bullets needed spacers) went with the 14" rally's just cause I had them.
View attachment DSCF3649.jpg

yeah I know the center caps are different. I couldn't find the last sombrero hat style in my parts box.

Cool, been looking for replacement 10" drums for the back and can't seem to find new. Been thinking possibly of rear discs, but a kit for the 7 1/4 is probably as scare as the new drums. I have seen reference to a rear disc kit from Scarebird but don't see anything on their website. Thanks for the info on wheels, makes me feel better.
Aaron

Started installing my scarebird kit, the instructions say to mount one bolt backwards of what it originally mounts, by the pics I have seen this is the lower rear bolt(atleast on my spindles)that goes through the ball joint and is threaded into the spindle, then has a thin locknut. Does it matter which way I put the bolts?
Thanks
Aaron

Started installing my scarebird kit, the instructions say to mount one bolt backwards of what it originally mounts, by the pics I have seen this is the lower rear bolt(atleast on my spindles)that goes through the ball joint and is threaded into the spindle, then has a thin locknut. Does it matter which way I put the bolts?
Thanks
Aaron
OOPS I put all mine in backwards...you can see three of them in this picture. I just plain forgot about it since I put the rear bottom one in first and then followed suit on the rest.
View attachment DSCF2791.jpg
View attachment DSCF2966.jpg

and no it doesn't hit anything and yes I got the hubs re drilled to 5 on 4.5 using 1/2 20 screw in studs. so that If the rotors ever needed to be changed I could just go get one and slap it on without re drilling to the small bolt pattern. more wheel choices for me!

I did see that the bolt that goes through the ball joint and threads into the spindle just barely clears the rotor, I will keep on eye on it and if it contacts it will find someone with a lathe and have them take just a little bit off of the inner lip of the rotor.
Aaron

DO NOT cut your rotor 2 MAKE IT WORK!!! that end of bolt has NO threads for about 5/16 then threads. That is the way they were made? SO Dry fit them c what is stickin out 2 far. trim it 2 fit u aint loosing anything u will need 4 strength or reliability B sure that nothing sticks out past dust shield. U WILL B REMOVING 3/16 inch MAX. Sure seems excellent on mine Just trimin the bolt off where it (is was) 2 long

-
Back