Another turn signal/brake light/emergency Flasher thread....

-

69wacuda

Handling, and a 500ci engine.... All in good time!
Reaction score
So....
On my 1969 Barracuda I changed my turn signal switch because I didn't have any turn signals and my flashers didn't work. After installing the new switch I miraculously had Turn signals (hooray!). Next on my list was getting the emergency flashers and brake lights to work. I do have a 69 plymouth service manual and was getting by (barely) with the wiring schematic. I started testing the stop lamp switch to see if power was getting to it and after a little finagling, was able to get brake lights in addition to the turn signals (hip hip HOoray!). Two down, one to go. I then realize the E flashers where not plugged into the wiring harness....(doh!) I plug it and start analyzing the schematic and notice that the Emergency flasher switch on the schematic has four blades(contacts) to plug into the wiring harness, and the one on my barracuda has only three?? WHY IS THAT? I have a connector with one black, one light green, and one white(ish) female that plugs into the emergency switch. which has three selector positions to it. Up, middle, down,.
Anyway, after trying a few things out with the E flasher switch and wiring, all of a sudden, when I try and to use my turn signals, my left and right turn signals flash as if I am using my emergency flashers, and now my brake lights do not work???

when I replace the turn signal switch I also replaced both flasher relays under the dash.

Utterly Confused:banghead::banghead::banghead:, PLEASE HELP!

The switch you are looking at is not the emergency flasher switch. The colors aren't right, and it must have 4 terminals. Here is how those work.

First the turn and brake signals:

Going INTO the column switch is TS flasher output, and brake light switch output. The switch routes this power appropriately, IE when the switch is centered, the brake light power is routed to both rear lamps.

Coming OUT of the switch is left front, right front, and left rear and right rear.

====================================================

Now your 4x switch is 4 terminals, with only two positions, off and on. When off, NONE of the 4 terminals are connected to anything else. When on, ALL 4 terminals are connected to each other.

1--One terminal of the 4x switch receives power from the 4x flasher output. With the switch ON, this flasher power is then routed to the following places:

2--One terminal goes to the brake light power line going INTO the TS switch

3--One terminal feeds to the left front wire

4--One terminal feeds to the right front wire.

So when the 4x switch is on............

you don't have your foot on the brakes.............

and the column TS switch is centered, the 4x switch feeds power to all 4 lamps

So this is what happened, when the dash was being reassembled after the paint job was finished the emergency flasher and the rear defrost fan, which is also on a toggle, were switched.
Now the hazards wor, but only when only the hazard switch is turned on and the turn signals switch is engaged either right or left, is that correct? Still no break lights.... Argh, but I will try and mess with it today.

Thanks 67dart273

So this is what happened, when the dash was being reassembled after the paint job was finished the emergency flasher and the rear defrost fan, which is also on a toggle, were switched.
Now the hazards wor, but only when only the hazard switch is turned on and the turn signals switch is engaged either right or left, is that correct? Still no break lights.... Argh, but I will try and mess with it today.

Thanks 67dart273

No, TS switch should be centered to work. Make sure brake lights are "off" before engaging flasher switch. Not sure what to think about this part of the problem.

Somehow I missed, what are you using for a diagram? Some of the Ralley/ Barracuda dash wiring is different, but I think the signals, etc is all same.

A correct flasher switch would also have only 2 positions on /off. What switch you have placed in that hole is beyond me. The hazard switch, rear defrost switch, vert top switch, and map light switch all look similar.

On my 69 I must have the turn signal in either direction and the e switch on for the flashers to work. My dad told all of the older cars he has ever seen worked this way. The lights did not receive any power unless the turn signal was in either direction.

We had a similar problem in Dads 67 cuda. The hazards are supposed to work without the signal switch being on.

On my 69 I must have the turn signal in either direction and the e switch on for the flashers to work. My dad told all of the older cars he has ever seen worked this way. The lights did not receive any power unless the turn signal was in either direction.

Then somethings not right.

UPDATE: Everything works!... For now... (Changed a bunch of crappy connections)

I cannot overstate the value this forum community has been for me. I have, multiple times wanted to take a sledge hammer to my car out of shear frustration, only to find that perfect nugget of information that points me into the right direction. Thus helping me find the correct solution.

67dart273: I am using a 69 Plymouth service manual cd I purchased off ebay for the wiring diagram.

Hazards work independently of the turn signals
Brake lights work
Turn signals work

If most of what I am explaining doesn't make sense I apologize. Please give me some leeway if the terms aren't correct.

So, I found that my brake lights were not working because a lot of my stock connections did not have good continuity. (I used a testing light and most of the connections would light up very faintly) I replaced almost every connection from the turn signal flasher back to the fuse block. I still had intermittent outages but traced that back to the fuse block where the pink (power) wire is hard wired there. The connection is really dirty (44 years old) and when I was pulling on the pink wire it would create a weak/lose connection, not allowing enough juice back to the brake lights(I think). I pulled some slack back to the fuse block and the problem seemed to stop.

The Pink (power to the hazard flasher/stop lamp switch) wire seems to be riveted or permanently attached to the fuse block. What is the best way to sure up this connection, which seems to be the root of my intermittent problem?

-
Back