Another wasted day

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well my long distance purchase is still a work in progress. I don't have the stomach for this. Its way to nerve racking. Agreed on a price last Friday and found a shipper, Couldn't pay for the car till banks opened on Monday and the shipper was supposed to pick the car up on Tuesday 2/2...No show on 2/2...Called the driver today and he said he would pick up my car at 7:00 PM tonight. The guy I purchased the car from owns a shop where the car resides but he doesn't live there... At 7:00 I call the shop and the trucker has not answered his calls I feel bad the previous owner has to wait for the transport but he's a great guy and has done everything I asked of him and hes providing me with a great car to have some fun. Anyways I call the trucker and he tells me he's still 2 hours away from my car so I told him it would be better if he just goes in the morning and he agreed. Now what are the chances he shows up first thing in the AM? I want my car to make it here safely so I'm trying not to freak out. This is my first and hopefully last long distance purchase. Is this normal? I'm not cut out for this at all. I want my Duster in my garage safe and sound.

I've never dealt with shipping a car but as far as business practice, it sounds horrible. No such thing as too much communication. It's one thing to be late or not show up but to not give you a heads up seams craptastic.

cross your fingers bro. I work on time commitments too and sometimes things happen but I try my best to let the next customer know whats up.

Dang, too bad the driver is not coming through on his word.

I bought my silver Barracuda long distance and the broker found me a great transport. The guy was on-time and answer several of my calls during the two days he was en route to my house with the car.

I'm crossing my fingers he'll pick it up in the AM!

I have everything I can crossed. I was quoted 2700.00 by Reliable and as little as 700 from another company....I chose the $900 company. Maybe I should've payed more....U get what you pay for. The light at the end of the tunnel is my car is the last one on the trailer and it will stay on that trailer till it reaches me. I hope that means my car will be the first off.....God I hope

All the car shows on tv make it look so easy when they ship a car....I doesn't seem like a difficult task and it isn't hard these days to call the customer and tell them whats going on.

I paid $400 to have a Duster and a Dart delivered from Georgia to Florida... with zero drama. A Great trucker that likes to help with the project cars. Hope your delivery goes well!

All the car shows on tv make it look so easy when they ship a car....I doesn't seem like a difficult task and it isn't hard these days to call the customer and tell them whats going on.

A lot of that is cause all the car shows on tv use the 2700.00 dollar company. Take roadkill for example, every time I see them ship a car they use pilot transport. With real nice big enclosed and optioned out trailers. Even then they still showed up late once. But hot rod isn't going to use anyone but the best. Neither is any other car show really. If your car shows up a day late it just means you have one less day to drive it. If a car show car shows up a day late it means thousands of lost dollars.

Just gotta look at it as you have an extra $1800 to spend on a parts and a couple extra days to think about what you wanna do when it shows up.

My car has a long voyage ahead. More than 2000 miles. I will be able to sleep better after I know its in transit as opposed to sitting and waiting to be picked up. Good point Lustle. Having a little extra cash to fix the things I know need to be fixed and then theirs the things I have no idea need to be fixed till she gets home.

I bought mine on the other side of the continent and had it shipped. I found a local guy who made a regular run between LA and Florida and he picked it up and delivered at my place without any drama. Maybe I was lucky but like others have mentioned communication is key. You can maybe find comfort in knowing that Cars are shipped around the country every day and without incident by the thousands by guys like the one you hired. You'll be fine and your new baby will be home soon.

I have had them shipped as far as Seattle to Tampa. You are basically at their mercy. It is a waiting game, with much patience. It will be OK.

I have had a couple of cars shipped, and even when it all goes well, it is still stressful/exciting waiting for the load to arrive. This time of year, weather can play hell with trucking - especially knowing what went through the country a couple days back.

It still does not excuse poor communication.

I hope all goes well for you today

too bad you couldnt send a GPS unit to the seller and tell him to stick it in the car on its way out. That way you could track it...if something like that exists. Itll work out.

bout 3-4 years ago i had a car shipped from Al to Mo. i have a friend that has been in the auto transfer business maybe 15 years, and a mopar guy with a shed full of nice cars. well i could not find his number or get anybody on the phone that had his number! so i proceed to find a ride for my new found car!

these auto shipping BROKERS are like anything, some honest great folk and some lie their *** off, and their prices can vary a lot,.... and for open rig, NOT enclosed one. the broker quotes you a price, you sign his stuff, and THEN he looks for someone to haul your car! ha! THEN if the price he gave you was too low for anyone to take it on, he then calls you and says he can't find anyone willing, will cost you some more $$$$. O K so we're talking $450, i didn't want to drive for total of 24 hours to go after it. my fuel, time, motel, O K so $450 is good.

the trucker calls in couple of days.. will have it there Wed, a m first thing. i t ell him i will meet him at interstate 25 mi down the road and save him having to travel country roads and off his route. i get there, it sits on a 2 car trailer, O K fine....unload it, i get the bill, $500. so what happened to my $450 price, the LAST one quoted???????
so i tell him, i'n not used to doing business this way, but screw it. not gonna argue over $50. i tell him IF he wanted a $50 tip, JUST ask and i would give it no problem, seemed like nice guy. did the broker decide to add another $50 ???? i didn't even waste my time calling the broker. HA ) i got my new baby HOME!!!) i'm sure that's what they figured i figured!!!! ha

your case. i would have the truckers number handy try to be sure everything happens in the time frame quoted, just for piece of mind! like they said, hundreds, thousands of cars are hauled cross country every day! i would not worry. it will get there, and if you saved a few $$$ and its a day late so what!!!

i would rather buy a better car out of the rust belt, go thru the perhaps aggrvation and costs of the shipping deal,.... than deal with the rusted out sorry crap from the salt belt!!! ha

I read about the horror stories about using brokers. I called around and thank God everything worked great for my transport. But I made sure to keep in constant contact with the broker and the driver. Probably drove them nuts, but made me feel better!

When I recently moved to Georgia from Virginia, I rented a U-haul trailer, pulled the empty trailer from Georgia to Virginia, loaded up my Barracuda, and pulled it back the next day. Cost of the trailer going both ways was one third the cost of a one-way rental. It was right at 600 miles.

bout 3-4 years ago i had a car shipped from Al to Mo. i have a friend that has been in the auto transfer business maybe 15 years, and a mopar guy with a shed full of nice cars. well i could not find his number or get anybody on the phone that had his number! so i proceed to find a ride for my new found car!

these auto shipping BROKERS are like anything, some honest great folk and some lie their *** off, and their prices can vary a lot,.... and for open rig, NOT enclosed one. the broker quotes you a price, you sign his stuff, and THEN he looks for someone to haul your car! ha! THEN if the price he gave you was too low for anyone to take it on, he then calls you and says he can't find anyone willing, will cost you some more $$$$. O K so we're talking $450, i didn't want to drive for total of 24 hours to go after it. my fuel, time, motel, O K so $450 is good.

the trucker calls in couple of days.. will have it there Wed, a m first thing. i t ell him i will meet him at interstate 25 mi down the road and save him having to travel country roads and off his route. i get there, it sits on a 2 car trailer, O K fine....unload it, i get the bill, $500. so what happened to my $450 price, the LAST one quoted???????
so i tell him, i'n not used to doing business this way, but screw it. not gonna argue over $50. i tell him IF he wanted a $50 tip, JUST ask and i would give it no problem, seemed like nice guy. did the broker decide to add another $50 ???? i didn't even waste my time calling the broker. HA ) i got my new baby HOME!!!) i'm sure that's what they figured i figured!!!! ha

your case. i would have the truckers number handy try to be sure everything happens in the time frame quoted, just for piece of mind! like they said, hundreds, thousands of cars are hauled cross country every day! i would not worry. it will get there, and if you saved a few $$$ and its a day late so what!!!

i would rather buy a better car out of the rust belt, go thru the perhaps aggrvation and costs of the shipping deal,.... than deal with the rusted out sorry crap from the salt belt!!! ha

I literally just went through this. Found a Duster by accident while working out of town. I was there long enough to try a Uship deal. Well, I ended up getting the car. Wired the owner money and I got the title. Turns out the original owner I got it from is a legit guy and very cool to deal with. I did not go with the cheapest bidder , as he couldn't get it for a week. The seller was super nice to keep helping with meeting the shipper. The shipper was going to get it Saturday morning and deliver Saturday night. By now I've flown back home. Here is the order of delays.
Saturday 7 am pickup
Sat noon
Sat 5 pm- Sunday morning delivery
He got the car Saturday at 5.
Sunday noon delivery
Sunday 5pm delivery
Sunday night delivery
Monday 6am delivery
Monday noon delivery
Monday 5pm delivery
Monday 12:30 midnight delivery
Monday 3:30 delivery.
I asked a sheriff buddy to come to my house and watch over this deal. He agreed and did. I took delivery of my new purchase at 330am Tuesday morning. The driver was courteous and polite. But good gosh. Who thinks its ok to deliver a car at 330 am? There were no markings on the truck. No DOT number etc. he was licensed and bonded though. So he says. Anyway, the car was delivered in the shape it left in. I parked it in the garage and went back to bed. What a stressful experience. Did you use UShip? Never again for me. I'll use Reliable and just pay out the nose and meet the guy on time. Those guys are reliable, hense the name.

PS- I did the same thing as above. I offered to meet him 30 min closer to keep him off the backroads. Plus the contract I did was for that shorter route. I was not about to get my wife up at 330 am and meet some guy 30 min away. The trucker agreed to come to the house. I felt bad, because he went more miles than the contract... But hell he delayed delivery so he could do more local work behind my back. Plus making me stay up til 330 on a work day! I handed him a $20 and went on.

My car has a long voyage ahead. More than 2000 miles. I will be able to sleep better after I know its in transit as opposed to sitting and waiting to be picked up. Good point Lustle. Having a little extra cash to fix the things I know need to be fixed and then theirs the things I have no idea need to be fixed till she gets home.

Just think about all the engine work you can do with that extra cash! That'll keep your mind off the transit haha.

I don't know if the transport came when it was supposed to but I know he came and left with my car finally. Its a miracle. Huge relief. Not to mention the previous owner of the car I bought sent me some pics of my car on the trailer along with a couple other cars. There's a 70 Superbee 440-6 4 Sp on the top over the truck cab. Stage one complete.

Well I have a happy ending to report. I called the transport driver today and asked what his eta was and he said 2 and a 1/2 hours. That was at 12:50 pm EST. At like 3:00 I called to ask if he was close. He said he was 3 miles out and would like to meet me at a big parking lot due to the fact I live in a rural neighboorhood with a lot of trees. My wife son and I left the house with a gas can since I had no idea how much gas is in the car. We showed up and the transport was there with a small group of people watching. It was awesome. They were checking out the cars on the trailer. Mine being one of them. There was a 70 440 6 pak 4 speed Superbee at the head of the trailer and some Dart Swinger with a modern day drivetrain and interior out of a newer Charger RT. Both cars and I think another vehicle on the trailer were from Scottsdale AZ Russo and Steele auction. The Superbee looked pretty nice. Anyways the guy fired my car up and backed it off the trailer and shut it down. He got the paperwork I needed to sign and I signed it. Gave him cash with a $50 tip since the only drama was him being a little late in picking up the car. The car made the 2400 mile trip pretty much uneventfully. I drove my new to me 1970 340 Duster about 3 miles to get home. I know she needs work but I still cannot stop smiling thinking she is mine and it was only 3 miles but I haven't driven three miles feeling like that in a long time. I don't know if I would make a long distance purchase again but all of the worrying was normal. Think about it, your paying good money to someone you don't know before even getting the car back. The car I got was good money to me but not a high dollar collectible in todays Barrett Jackson world. I know people make long distance purchases all the time but I don't know if I'm cut out for it. I'm glad the purchase went well and its over. Hopefully the car I got will keep me happy for a while and I won't be making anymore purchases period.

Attachments

• IMG_2470[1].jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 181
Glad it showed up bud! Looks good, now you got something to work on for a couple months before it's cruise night every night.

:hello1: Glad it arrived safe and sound, and your family is already on-board with the project! Totally a Thumbs Up!

Glad your car arrived. I used to haul cars across country and was never more than 3 hours late on pick-up or delivery. On that a gave the customer a refund. Late is unacceptable.

-
Back