Another "What's this?" thread

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
I usually have no problem with identifying Chrysler keys.
But I came across a box full of these.
I have seen them in the past, but never had any before and I've never been asked for one.
Only info I can find is "Mopar ign key", someone told me he thought this was a mopar locking gas cap key.
Any ideas?

sqkey.JPG

I believe that is a Jeep key from the 80's after Chrysler bought AMC.

I kinda thought that too, but if you look at the key, there is a notch in the Jeep keys, mine don't have.
I'm not sure if both sides of the jeep keys have a channel or a double channel on one side and single on the other.

It's just a different year key. They played games with one channel or two. Sometimes the channels were wider then others too. The AMC key went in the same direction as GM and when Chrysler took over it went in "upside down" as people would say. They were all built by Saginaw.

Last edited:
As i'm sure you all know, AMC was a cleaning house for all of detroit. The jeeps had GM engines and steering columns up through chrysler buying them. Those are identical to my old k10 GM ignition/door keys. So as hinted at above, thats what happens when chrysler buys Jeep, and for at least a short amount of time, jeep was still using GM columns.

we had K-cars and minivans growing up. all ours had the one below.

il-tik-ilc-y157p.jpg

Chrysler used the Saginaw steering column until around 1990 when they switch to the Acustar steering column. The keys looked the same through the 80's but the channels where moved around or made different that is all. I have cut key blanks that said GM and used the in a Chrysler back in the day.

Chrysler used the Saginaw steering column until around 1990 when they switch to the Acustar steering column. The keys looked the same through the 80's but the channels where moved around or made different that is all. I have cut key blanks that said GM and used the in a Chrysler back in the day.
Yup, pretty crazy what all was traded off and bounced around. I bought a 1977 360 LA chrysler engine as a core, still wearing all the lean burn junk...It had more "GM" stampings on all the little electronic pieces parts, than it did pentastars.

Since were on the subject of keys, here is a bit of trivia. Who produces the most keys in the United States? Answer is Briggs & Stratton. The key business is larger than their small engine which is what they are known for. Not sure if this is still true but it was 20 years ago.

Since were on the subject of keys, here is a bit of trivia. Who produces the most keys in the United States? Answer is Briggs & Stratton. The key business is larger than their small engine which is what they are known for. Not sure if this is still true but it was 20 years ago.
As a matter of fact I did know this. That little "B" on most of your keys stands for Briggs and Stratton.
I buy a lot of keys from them!
But, as for the keys, I'll mark them as Jeep keys and go from there.

I did not know that. Very interesting. I just thought of another one that used the same key... International Harvester! Man I'm showing my age, LOL Now the new cars don't even have a key like we know, what has happened?

-
Back