any blacksmiths on the line?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys, my boy has been watching a little bit too much "forged in fire" so tomorrow im picking him up a basic propane forge

he will be going in pretty much blind and with barely any tools, so what should be the first thing he needs?

Strong arms and wrists?
I've watched the show and while it doesn't look easy, they do a good job of showing what can happen.
Let us know how his adventure turns out.
I also imagine a large anvil and hammer with a solid handle is also needed.
Don't forget the fire extinguisher!

Good leather gloves, Tongs, belt sander, and a "can do " attitude.
all hes got from that list...is the attitude

we dont even have the anvil mentioned above, just a big piece of I beam that is the frame of my logsplitter
(on the bright side, in true Appalachian American fashion, we can use that log splitter as a power hamer)

Not sure where in Michigan you are, but you might want to check this out: North Woods Forge llc

It doesn't look like they have any classes scheduled right now, but it might be worth watching for. To me, there's nothing like hands on instruction! They had one of the local news reporters learning, and I don't think she wayed over 100 lbs.

There's some decent books out there from roughly late 1960s into the 1980s. At least two of those books tell how to make home made forges and anvils that can work pretty good for starters. (I'm describing coal fired forge, not propane.) Two routes for classes and see if he likes it. One is craft and trade center that offers instruction, and the other is a historic site that does living history trades and crafts. Most of those will take on volunteers, and some times during public events may let public take a hand at some aspects.

Not sure where in Michigan you are, but you might want to check this out: North Woods Forge llc

It doesn't look like they have any classes scheduled right now, but it might be worth watching for. To me, there's nothing like hands on instruction! They had one of the local news reporters learning, and I don't think she wayed over 100 lbs.
About 2,5 hours north to north east from me

He has had one session with a blacksmith in Frankenmuth, where he made a knife

He will be back there in May to make a sword

hey guys, my boy has been watching a little bit too much "forged in fire" so tomorrow im picking him up a basic propane forge

he will be going in pretty much blind and with barely any tools, so what should be the first thing he needs?
One chair
One foot stool
One cold Case of Beer
One Wife with Big Arms
One Anvil and a BFH

I'm normally not a safety weeny but......Safety glassed and/or face shield, ear muffs, strong leather boots preferably steel-toe, and a good leather or cloth welding apron or jacket with sleeves. Red hot steel is not to be trifled with. All these will serve around the shop in the future as well.

A good anvil that is set and mounted to his working height, post vise, misc. tongs and hammer.

picked it up last nite, and got her set up and going today
(we will be making a chance to it, right now the burner comes in from the side, ill move that to the top)

the boy did well, he was able to get a good deal on the forge itself, which allowed him enough spending money to buy himself a belt sander, a 2 pound hammer and a pair of safety glasses...he even picked those out himself

the very next thing he needs to buy himself is a pair of tongs

There's a lot of videos on you tube about blacksmithing an metallurgy on you tube.
I suggest he watches them.
Actually, I am a welder by trade, and understanding metallurgy is one of the staples of the trade.
I actually worked under a blacksmith some years ago that taught me a lot about how heat control and how to make steel move.
That is an art unto itself...

Last edited:
There's a lot of videos on you tube about blacksmithing an metallurgy on you tube.
I suggest he watches them.
Times two on you tube watching, he will find and older fellow that starts small and teaches you about fire settings and ventilation of said fire, a small out door building for his tools.
Good fun making small shapes and art, then build up to bigger projects like hinges, candle stick holders, did a little with a farmer many years ago.

What I have yet to find on YouTube is videos with the most basic of information

He is working on a railroad Spike knife right now and there are gazillions of videos on that on the tube

Not a single one of them mentions how long it might take for a Spike to reach a malleable temperature

Now, he's gotten the tip drawn out and shaped quite nicely, but he's planning on twisting the handle, that suckered will need to be darn near liquid for that to happen

But im sure with time he will figure it out

I'm going to take the unpopular opinion here and say that he needs to stop letting television influence his hobbies.

Now, he's gotten the tip drawn out and shaped quite nicely, but he's planning on twisting the handle, that suckered will need to be darn near liquid for that to happen
I think you’ll be surprised at what temperature you’ll be able to turn that shank. I can remember making twisted half-inch rails for a handrail years ago and it didn’t need to be bright orange to turn.

I'm going to take the unpopular opinion here and say that he needs to stop letting television influence his hobbies.
Like it or not, TV and the internet are going to influence him. And there are lots of worse things he can get into than a craft like this that can teach him skills and traits he can use positively for a lifetime.

why so ?

hes not growing up in the same world we grew up in
does it really matter where he picks his hobbies up at?

as long as he finds something to do, to flow some creativity out, and not be glued to a screen, hes got my blessing

funny story, we got pulled over by the sheriff on the way over to pick it up
now, i was less them 5 miles from home and got pulled over for speeding

the sheriff was a little aprehensive about the stop, since i had illegal plates on the truck (didnt know) and when she first ran the VIN it didnt come up, at all

off course, i had just bought the truck and dint have the papers yet (still dont, for that matter)
when she finally got it figured out, she asked where we were going...which was two states over

well, long story short, we got to talking about why we are going there, and how the boy is wanting to get into forging...turns out she has got horses and so we got into all the farrier talk

it was quite fun

I've taken Blacksmithing classes at one of our local county parks that has an 1800's Pioneer Village. They have 6 coal fired, hand crank forges, and a couple propane units.

Without question the #1 thing I can't stress enough is safety. You need proper gloves, arm sleeves, leather apron, safety toed boots, and a great first aid kit.

I would also have an emergency contingency plan in place before he even starts. It's not that he can't learn to be a Blacksmith, but he needs to learn and understand the dangers of

what he's getting into. Watching it on TV and dealing with glowing red hot steel are two totally different realities.

picked it up last nite, and got her set up and going today
(we will be making a chance to it, right now the burner comes in from the side, ill move that to the top)

the boy did well, he was able to get a good deal on the forge itself, which allowed him enough spending money to buy himself a belt sander, a 2 pound hammer and a pair of safety glasses...he even picked those out himself

the very next thing he needs to buy himself is a pair of tongs
Two pound hammer seems a bit light. I would have gone with a five pounder but if it's working for him that's great.

Two pound hammer seems a bit light. I would have gone with a five pounder but if it's working for him that's great.
It may be a three pounder, I'd have to check

But I took him to the store and had him pick one he felt comfortable swinging

I'm sure that as he gets into things more, he will add a bunch of different hammers to his collection

I've taken Blacksmithing classes at one of our local county parks that has an 1800's Pioneer Village. They have 6 coal fired, hand crank forges, and a couple propane units.

Without question the #1 thing I can't stress enough is safety. You need proper gloves, arm sleeves, leather apron, safety toed boots, and a great first aid kit.

I would also have an emergency contingency plan in place before he even starts. It's not that he can't learn to be a Blacksmith, but he needs to learn and understand the dangers of

what he's getting into. Watching it on TV and dealing with glowing red hot steel are two totally different realities.

This is the best advise... I would add cinder block partition walls to contain sparks so he doesn't burn down the shop/barn/garage.. Have a fire extinguisher or three nearby..

-
Back