any body running a fuel cell UNDER your trunk floor?

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
I have a 16 gallon pro street fuel cell,i am planning to do away with the spare tire well,and mount the cell under the floor.I would rather use the 45 degree fuel filler neck,and connect it to the factory fuel filler neck,if thats possible.i know it will be a little more to the center and towards the rear slightly,but i noticed the factory fuel tank is set more to the driver side.Since i plan to run a side exit exhaust,why cant i leave a 1/4 inch gap between the fuel cell and frame rail.This way,the filler neck in the fuel cell will be more to the passenger side.This would also free up enough room for the electric fuel pump,and canister filter.Another question is,should i run a return line back to the fuel cell,what size should it be?Im running 6 an braided hose.

summit fuel cell.jpg

sum-pumpkit7a.jpg

I am not but I have thought of doing it. So when you install it I would be interested and how you did it. Where did you get the fuel cell at?

My cell is mounted through the floor.....spare well is gone and the cell is supported by 1x2bar across the frame rails. I had a flange welded all across the cell as I was concerned the tabs (aluminum) might not be strong enough in the event of a crash.

I havent got to plumbing it yet as my motor choice is up in the air.....(in-tank electric pump prob). I now know that the cell has to be covered in sheet metal though......

SANY0127.JPG

SANY0128.JPG

SANY0126.JPG

so the whole thing will have to be covered with sheetmetal?or just the top part?Iplan to run this car on the track some,will mine have to be covered with sheet metal from the bottom to be legal too?its not really a big deal for me,i just want to fix this once,and not have to worry about it again

The track and NHRA want's the bottom of the exposed cell to be protected from debris. I'm not sure what thickness they require but I know I went on the heavy side for mine due to being street driven.

per another forum who quoted nhra...."a fuel cell requires a metal box protecting part of the cell that is outside the body lines or frame rails, non metallic fuel cells must be grounded to the frame."

doesn't say what gauge is required to cover cell, just that is has to be. I didnt think this was the case for metal cells but apparently it is.

--Rob

that i cut out,and the fuel tank straps and hardware to go with it,so i can buy the rest of the fuel line i need to plumb this thing up

-
Back