any body running a poly 318 in their car

-
Poly's are an interest of mine. Simply because nobody runs one.

I've heard some guys are pulling 400/500/600 horse out of them. I've been thinking it would be really cool to do a more door fury build. Suicide the doors. Blown 318 poly. Would be different. And different is cool in my book.

this is a documented by title 79,000 mile car I usually don't name cars but theres a big flowery womans hat in the back seat so miss daisy immediately came to my mind so miss daisy appears to be rideing pretty low thinking maybe factory shocks may still be there the only thing ive found so far not original is the 2 bbl carb but the original one is in a box in the back probably leave the master cylinder alone replace the lines and rebuild the wheel cylinders
DSCF8733.JPG

What a great car! I had a 67 Coronet 4 door back when. 318 auto. White with green interior. Have fun with this one!

finally home and got the snake boots off think the boy in Michigan would mean mouth this old ex marine in person

Poly's are an interest of mine. Simply because nobody runs one.

I've heard some guys are pulling 400/500/600 horse out of them. I've been thinking it would be really cool to do a more door fury build. Suicide the doors. Blown 318 poly. Would be different. And different is cool in my book.
I haven't heard of anybody getting more than low 500's. The only limitation is the heads abilty to flow air. There is a fella on FBBO that is doing some wild work to the poly head. Very expensive work. But the flow rate was well increased.

The Poly will take any stroker crank the LA or Magnum can. Pistons are custom made for the kits or by yourself. Expensive yes. But then again, if it is to much for your wallet, don't cry about it.
Everything is expensive. Nothing new there so let's just move along, move along..... LOL!

I'd definitely get it running and drive the wheels off of it! I had a 65 Sport Fury with a poly in it and it would get 20-22 mpg and would do 120ish mph. The poly always started and ran like a sewing machine!

I blew up the 426 wedge in my 64 Sport Fury in the 70s. Not having the money to replace the wedge (crank thru side of block), I found a 318 from a car with an automatic. I overhauled the engine and had the crank drilled for a pilot bushing. Finding a bell housing and flywheel was not fun. It came from a junk yard, probably from a 273. Had to modify the clutch linkage. It got much better gas mileage than the 426, and was still fun to drive with the 4 speed. I think I could get up to 20 mpg.

Over time the tranny froze up and had to replace with a 69 Plymouth 4 speed, requiring a different drive shaft (sliding yoke). I think I had to have the replacement drive shaft cut shorter. Problem with popularity of the 318 I suspect is that its not a very handsome engine. It has the reputation of a grocery getter, but its very reliable.

Today, I would transplant a newer smog controlled engine into a B body. I don't like the smell of the exhaust of those old engines. A Gen III 392 would be fun, but the K member would be a problem. I'd like to know about drivability with one of the hemi conversion kits.

I used to routinely trounce new and freshly build gm 350 powered cars with an 80,000 mile 2 barrel poly.

I've owned several but none currently.

They are torqueier off the line, and the head design is similar to a Hemi.
Hemi is half, Poly is part... of a sphere.
That is likely where the torque comes from.

I've never heard of any reliability issues. They are as rock solid as an LA, perhaps more so.

The poly in a '66 is just a very happy combo, give it love and you'll be driving it when you're an old man...

-
Back