Any Detroit diesel guys here?

-

RussellSullivan

Reaction score
I run a small tugboat at work, powered by two Detroit diesels. The starboard engine fires right up without ether and does not smoke at all. It will run flawlessly all day. The port side engine not only requires a shot of ether each morning, but the exhaust smokes white for several minutes before clearing up. I must give it part throttle for it to stay running, until it is warmed up. I do this by engaging the throttle cable by hand at the engine, then selecting either forward or back once in the wheelhouse.

I plan on changing all filters and fluids one of these weekends, as it has not been done since the company purchased this boat. I doubt this is the issue, but it would give me peace of mind to have fresh oil and filters, as well as fresh fuel filters. After all, this engine did quit on me once just after I used it to push a loaded barge. Anyone here know about these things? I'm not sure about potentially different models, etc. I can get that information this week if necessary.

My first thought is that the injectors on the Port engine need work. They may be fouled or scored and need cleaning or replacing. Fuel filter may also be an issue.

There's a member here (forget) something like Jimjimmy ?? He is also tugboat / jimmy diesel guy I believe. "Screamin Jimmy."

Hopefully he'll chime in with something helpful. The thing is, if it's something other than a fuel filter needing changed, it's likely that the owner won't want to mess with it. So long as it still works "most of the time" and isn't completely trashed, his motto is to run it until it is. Half-*** fix everything, even when its operation is critical to his income.

Hopefully he'll chime in with something helpful. The thing is, if it's something other than a fuel filter needing changed, it's likely that the owner won't want to mess with it. So long as it still works "most of the time" and isn't completely trashed, his motto is to run it until it is. Half-*** fix everything, even when its operation is critical to his income.

That's pretty dangerous. Because it WILL FAIL right when you need it most. But you already know that.

white smoke is water in the combustion chamber. You have water in the fuel, or its got a weak head gasket. Would explain the hard cold start.

I run a small tugboat at work, powered by two Detroit diesels. The starboard engine fires right up without ether and does not smoke at all. It will run flawlessly all day. The port side engine not only requires a shot of ether each morning, but the exhaust smokes white for several minutes before clearing up. I must give it part throttle for it to stay running, until it is warmed up. I do this by engaging the throttle cable by hand at the engine, then selecting either forward or back once in the wheelhouse.

I plan on changing all filters and fluids one of these weekends, as it has not been done since the company purchased this boat. I doubt this is the issue, but it would give me peace of mind to have fresh oil and filters, as well as fresh fuel filters. After all, this engine did quit on me once just after I used it to push a loaded barge. Anyone here know about these things? I'm not sure about potentially different models, etc. I can get that information this week if necessary.
You did not say what model DDA engine? 8V92TA maybe?
Most likely you have a fueling/air issue.
Air filter restriction?
Leaky injectors
How many service hours on the engine?
Perhaps low on compression, have you every had a tech run the fuel rack, compression test, fuel pressures ?

You did not say what model DDA engine? 8V92TA maybe?
Most likely you have a fueling/air issue.
Air filter restriction?
Leaky injectors
How many service hours on the engine?
Perhaps low on compression, have you every had a tech run the fuel rack, compression test, fuel pressures ?

I know next to nothing about the engine. I did state above that I did not know the model, but could find out this week.

That being said, there is no hour meter to be found, nothing has been tested. This company does not like to spend money on mechanics (our crane has been barely hanging on for a full year now).

Basically I'm at the "I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas" stage of this issue. Just trying to get an idea of what easy stuff to start, while I gather more information in the meantime. I hate to say it, but if it's more involved than a filter change and basic maintenance, the issue will likely remain unresolved due to management's unwillingness to spend money.

I know next to nothing about the engine. I did state above that I did not know the model, but could find out this week.

That being said, there is no hour meter to be found, nothing has been tested. This company does not like to spend money on mechanics (our crane has been barely hanging on for a full year now).

Basically I'm at the "I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas" stage of this issue. Just trying to get an idea of what easy stuff to start, while I gather more information in the meantime. I hate to say it, but if it's more involved than a filter change and basic maintenance, the issue will likely remain unresolved due to management's unwillingness to spend money.

Not meaning to offend,but I think I would be looking for another job. If they don't take care of their equipment, what must they think of you? Sit down, take a good stiff drink and think about that awhile.

i have been running Detroit diesels for over 35 years now . find out what series you have either 53 , 71 or 92 and if they are inline or a ''v'' and i will try to help you if i can . with proper maintenance these babies will run for 30 plus thousand hours .

Not meaning to offend,but I think I would be looking for another job. If they don't take care of their equipment, what must they think of you? Sit down, take a good stiff drink and think about that awhile.

They actually take good care of their employees from what I've witnessed so far. It's one of the better jobs I've had in my short working career. It's not a big corporation, but a network of wealthy brothers owning multiple companies. It's hard to find something in this area with comparable pay and benefits, without having a degree of some sort. Plus, for the first time ever I have the time and money to spend with my family. I appreciate the thought, though. It is something to ponder.

Here are a couple pictures I got this morning. Couldn't find too many numbers on the block, nor wer there any tags to speak of. It appears to be a 6-71 series, but that is based solely on what pictures I can find online to compare to.

20210419_070534.jpg

20210419_070527.jpg

20210419_065554.jpg

20210419_065726.jpg

they are both inline 6-71's and they seem very clean and don't seem to be slobbering like a St. Bernard after a 10 mile run on a hot day .
they probably just need a good tune up which consists of adjustments of the valves , injectors and the rack . If you are not familiar with these engines get someone who is . you need special tools and the rack and governor are not to be messed with because a runaway is very possible .

they are both inline 6-71's and they seem very clean and don't seem to be slobbering like a St. Bernard after a 10 mile run on a hot day .
they probably just need a good tune up which consists of adjustments of the valves , injectors and the rack . If you are not familiar with these engines get someone who is . you need special tools and the rack and governor are not to be messed with because a runaway is very possible .
Probably the cleanest 6-71 I have seen. LOL

Thanks, Jimmy. I was going to do the easy, simple stuff first and go from there. I definitely won't be messing with the valves or anything, as I would like to maintain a status of non-liability, should something happen. Funny you guys mention how clean they are, as I stocked the bilge with rags and brake cleaner to clean them up a bit. It's nice to be able to work on something without the need of a tyvek suit! I thought them filthy, actually.

DO NOT do anything that is not in your job description, it can come back to bite you in the ***. Document in writing anything you do as far as YOUR maintenance goes, as well as document any & all correspondence you have about things malfunctioning. If you have all of your documentation & something happens because your suggestions were ignored, your *** is covered. In todays world, stuff slides down hill & upper management tries to distance themselves from the liabilities. In other words, CYA the best way you can.

DO NOT do anything that is not in your job description, it can come back to bite you in the ***. Document in writing anything you do as far as YOUR maintenance goes, as well as document any & all correspondence you have about things malfunctioning. If you have all of your documentation & something happens because your suggestions were ignored, your *** is covered. In todays world, stuff slides down hill & upper management tries to distance themselves from the liabilities. In other words, CYA the best way you can.

I keep a log of all fluid levels, how much is added, whether or not any linkages need tightened, etc. I fill it out each morning.

That is as far as it goes, as far as maintenance. If a filter change doesn't do the trick (which I dont expect it to), then that's as far as I'm willing to go with it by myself. Last thing I need is to lose an engine and be pushed onto the bank. I agree, I've seen it happen with locomotives on the railroad. There is a never ending paper trail as well as a digital one for every task performed, and someone always gets nailed for it.

Best two stroke diesels ever made, I would be going with a head gasket issue here. It does take special tools to set the injector pump height and exhaust valves bridges and the pump rack would just take a screwdriver and some skill. Water in the fuel would be a dead hit or a miss in the sparkplug world. Not sure of the air cleaners used here, but I would make a good look see, the blower uses a lot of air to force out burnt air in the cylinders.

Best two stroke diesels ever made, I would be going with a head gasket issue here. It does take special tools to set the injector pump height and exhaust valves bridges and the pump rack would just take a screwdriver and some skill. Water in the fuel would be a dead hit or a miss in the sparkplug world. Not sure of the air cleaners used here, but I would make a good look see, the blower uses a lot of air to force out burnt air in the cylinders.

I'll have a talk with the owner today, and voice my opinion about hiring someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not a diesel guy in any regard, so I'd like to safeguard my own ***, both from getting canned as well as killed.

Yea Detroit's are not for armatures. Find someone who is well versed in them and has the tools your best bet is a Detroit dealer.

All I did was set the idle speed a tad higher on the hard starting engine. I feel as if it's nothing more than a band-aid for a different issue. As it is, it idles slightly higher than the starboard engine. Oil pressure does read roughly 2-3 psi higher at idle and temp rises to 160 a bit sooner than the other engine. It's been a week without the port side shutting down, and no excess oil consumption or other observable issues.

-
Back