Any experienced body filler guys out there ?

-

pearljam724

Reaction score
I’m doing some body filler repair for the first time in my life. Nothing major, just very minor paint bubbles under the rocker in a small place or two. I’ve already completed a couple spots and have a couple more to go. I’m using Bondo and regardless how little hardner I use. The filler hardens entirely too quick. It might be the humidity in my garage. Pretty humid. If you don’t use any hardener will the Bondo dry completely ? I understand at the very least it will take a long time. But, does it completely dry eventually ? I’m not in a hurry. It’s my personal car that i’m just touching up a few very minor spots.

You need the hardner or it will never dry. It's the catalyst that causes the chemical reaction. It will dry faster in hotter weather. No hardener at all, plan to wait several years for it to get to a stage where its down to being gummy and slightly sticky. Good luck.

I’m doing some body filler repair for the first time in my life. Nothing major, just very minor paint bubbles under the rocker in a small place or two. I’ve already completed a couple spots and have a couple more to go. I’m using Bondo and regardless how little hardner I use. The filler hardens entirely too quick. It might be the humidity in my garage. Pretty humid. If you don’t use any hardener will the Bondo dry completely ? I understand at the very least it will take a long time. But, does it completely dry eventually ? I’m not in a hurry. It’s my personal car that i’m just touching up a few very minor spots.
When it's hot it sets up pretty quick. If you're doing a small area just use a small amount of hardener. The hardener creates a chemical
reaction to the plastic filler. If you don't use hardener it will never set up. If you have bubbles in the paint it is probably rust. The only
real way to repair rust is to patch it. Applying filler won't stop rust and the bubbles will return.

That’s what I thought. Thanks guys. I realize there’s rust. I removed all paint, etc down to bare metal and there are a couple dime sized holes that need filled. I finished one spot and for my first time, I impressed myself, lol ! I mixed a portion roughly big as a fist. Added a drop of hardener large as a pea. Once it was mixed, hardened in 1 minute. I guess that’s too much, lol ! Like, no time to even apply it. Lol !

Last edited:
Mix smaller amounts at a time. Mix it on a mixing board (or a piece of cardboard) and dont leave it in a big pile. Spread it out some on the mixing board. It will create less heat this way and cure slower.

Small paint bubbles under the rocker usually means rust . Rust means its getting moisture. Fixing that with bondo is a waste of time. Bondo absorbs water if it isn't sealed on both the back side my metal and outside by paint. The first application coat on any repair when fixing rust should be water proof.

Over welded seams or cleaned out bubbles.

If I was doing a quick fix on rust bubbles and I wanted it to last for a little time withpout cutting out the area. I would wire wheel the bubbles real good. Then grind the area with 36 grit. Go to autozone and get JB weld quick set mix a little up and cover the area. It dries in 10 -15 min. Sand level with 80 grit then apply a tin coat of bondo. The quick set will prevent the bondo from absorbing moisture from the inside of the rocker. smooth out the bondo prime . sand and paint. Most of the time quick set is all you need. POR15 putty is the best instead of quick-set. Its pricey though. It seals and stops rust.

I use Chassis saver and pour it into back and forth into the rocker behind the rear door panel after taping the weep holes shut on the rocker seam. Pore it all in. Make a trough and then pull the tape let it flow back into the can for the other side . Those bubbles will be gone for many years. I do that on all my cars whether its rusted or not. Clean cars I fill the rocker and lower quarters with several gallons of black rustoleum Then drain them. Slosh it up over the wheel house. Then paint.

Your putty is drying to fast because your using to much hardener. One little tube per gallon. a spoon full takes a dot a little more then a match head. Mix it and spread it. once don't keep going over it. It hardens quick. Its better to do small coats then trying to do it all in one coat. And you have to be quick don't even sneeze. Below is a good way of preventing any future rust after repairs or just anytime before paint. You can also pour it in behind the kick panels in the front. I also drill holes behind the front fender into the rocker and spray it in with a wand then put a small plug in the hole

DSCN0991.JPG

DSCN0992.JPG

DSCN0997.JPG

DSCN0998.JPG

View attachment 1715564980

DSCN1242.JPG

DSCN1240.JPG

Thank you, old man. I realized what you said about rust, filler, sealing etc. This car will never touch water as long as I own it. Under that circumstance it will hold up for a few years if not more. If it remains dry, which it will. But, I understand what you’re saying and you are correct. Thank you for the mixing tips and sealing the holes with JB weld. I ll take your advice on that.

. This car will never touch water as long as I own it. Under that circumstance it will hold up for a few years if not more. If it remains dry, which it will
I hate to tell you but humidity is wet.

My dart is a So Cal car. Every exposed bare metal surface is surface rusted, ( not like east coast cars)

All chrome is slightly pitted

Being 2 miles from the beach it's entire life is hard on anything. Salty humidity!

-
Back