Any factory 4 speed wagons out there?

-
Ok, I'll add my wagon and introduce myself. Just picked up this "survivor" '66 Dart 270 a few weeks ago. It apparently spent the last 20+ years in the Texas desert! Because of that and the fact it spent it's entire life in Texas, it is in remarkable shape rust wise. Just the usual rear quarter affliction, but the floor pans, fenders, rockers, valance, etc. are all intact-rust free! it is also a dealer installed AC car with the 273 V8 radiator and the Apache system. I found the broadcast sheet today as well...SWEET.

Moreover, this car has HUGE sentimental value to me. It is the identical color combo as the one my parents owned new in 1966 and that I spent countless vacation trips in. I hope to "refurbish" it enough by Xmas to spring on my elderly parents & siblings...should blow their minds!!

Attachments

• dartwagon 001.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 218
  • dart wagon 002.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 212
  • dart wagon 004.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 217
I believe that I was the one that mentioned it. Mine are factory according to my fender tag and window sticker. When I bought it the PO had changed it to a 73 style disc master cylinder.
I had always wondered how many wagons actually had the disc being that it was a rare option, maybe not as rare as a 4 speed though! That is the coolest option on a wagon! Rockys got a nice lil score.

What is the fender tag code for disc brakes on a '66?
Mine has the KH. Probably not original but they look like they have been on it for a long time.

Attachments

• 1966 Valiant Wagon.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 0slant6.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 214
good to see you still have yours! I saw it on craigslist awhile ago and was wondering about it.....theres another on there right now for $1200....or is it yours?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2017816575.html

Yeah, decided to hold on to it. Not worth dealing with the CL flakes anyway. I've got so many damn cars though, I just spin my wheels.

That wagons not mine. Although I am restraining myself from going to look at it. Need another project like a hole in the head:-D.

:worthles: we need pictures of yours Rocky65 :)

Wow sorry 67valiant100 I did not see this post! Well there are a few pics in my profile of the beast, I will see if I can put them in here. It's really not much to look at right now, RUFF is the word!
Flashback, congrats on a GREAT score! I would love to see a family pic when you get her done, that is a cool story... BTW what is an "apache" system? 8)

OK 67Valiant100 I am attempting to post a couple pics here...

Attachments

• Ruff.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 201
  • Hurst.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Rockys.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 205
Finally! A picture of the floor shifter in a wagon. My wagon has one of these but with a black ball (see pic) and it hits the ash tray when in 1st. I think all I need is another stick from Hurst. Any ideas which one will be best in a 65 Dart Wagon. It has a bench now but I just got some buckets out of a 65 Valiant convertible at Fall Fling. So at least I can move the seat up as far as I want. (I am short thank you very much)

Also the shift pattern seems weird, Reverse is down and to the left. Is this a clue to where the tranny came from?
-------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Rocky beat me to Pic's in the post above...
-------------------------------------------------------
The Hurst Shifter in this post doesnt look like the '65/'66 A-Body Patent Pending shifter that was installed in these cars. It didnt have the screws on the main part of the shifter. Reverse shift lever isnt that long and the stick isnt straight, the original one in my dart has a bend as it comes up. Will take some pics tomorrow of it in the car. Might have it out this weekend if I pull the engine out as planned. Then can take a pic of the whole shifter...

Also as someone else posted, Reverse is Left and Up, not down. Pattern across top is R-1-3 and bottom is X-2-4.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=104995&stc=1&d=1256078555

Yeah, decided to hold on to it. Not worth dealing with the CL flakes anyway. I've got so many damn cars though, I just spin my wheels.

That wagons not mine. Although I am restraining myself from going to look at it. Need another project like a hole in the head:-D.

Im in the same boat....Ive got 6 with no place to work on 5 of them. However Im going to look at a 66 Valiant sedan soon....I might buy it, it will complete my collection=P~

Thanks DarTT! These little wagons have gained in popularity, I just wish this one had been taken better care of... Lot of work but I think it's worth it...

toolman and mike, I think there is some confusion here, the shifter chewy is talking about is in Timbolia's original post, looks like a competition plus or something similar... I believe chewy was going to post a pic of an original but I beat him to it... chewy? mine is original except for the white knob I think... BTW anyone know what an "apache" system is that I was asking Flashback about?

Rocky, the shifter in the photos you posted of the 65 looks correct for a 65 Dart.
toolman

Flashback, congrats on a GREAT score! I would love to see a family pic when you get her done, that is a cool story... BTW what is an "apache" system? 8)

Rocky,

Apache is the company name on the interior blower unit. I tried to google it, etc., but no luck so far. It is a dealer-installed set up, originally done by 1st owner. It appears the conversion included the 273 V8 radiator (which makes sense) but everything else (compressor/condensor, etc.) appears to be exactly what you'd find on a factory equipped car. Once I get the main stuff done like engine tuning, interior work, etc., I do plan to get the AC functioning again. The blower works as does the compressor, but in need of some attention. BTW, this set up came with some wild radiator hoses!!

Rocky, the shifter in the photos you posted of the 65 looks correct for a 65 Dart.
toolman

OK thanks toolman I thought so. If I remember correctly Timbolia told me someone installed his 4 speed in his wagon later in the cars life... I've also heard some late '65 cars have the '66 style shifter with the lever for reverse but I've never seen one in a '65...

Rocky,

Apache is the company name on the interior blower unit. I tried to google it, etc., but no luck so far. It is a dealer-installed set up, originally done by 1st owner. It appears the conversion included the 273 V8 radiator (which makes sense) but everything else (compressor/condensor, etc.) appears to be exactly what you'd find on a factory equipped car. Once I get the main stuff done like engine tuning, interior work, etc., I do plan to get the AC functioning again. The blower works as does the compressor, but in need of some attention. BTW, this set up came with some wild radiator hoses!!

Hmmm, interesting! Any idea how many different dealer install kits were used? sounds like the Apache set up would be the one to get... I have been thinking about an under dash unit for a while now... Seems every time I come across one they are in rough shape... Again nice catch on the wagon and keep us posted on it! Thanks for getting back to me on this, good stuff!

I saw this one at a show in Kingsberg,CA a couple of years ago. Sweet ride.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 232
Thanks DarTT! These little wagons have gained in popularity, I just wish this one had been taken better care of... Lot of work but I think it's worth it...

yeah, like since I bought mine.....evryones gotta follow my trends:bootysha:

Rocky,

Here is a better shot of the Apache A/C system. Frankly, to me, it does not look much different than what I've seen in Fords of the same period, but not sure of that. Interestingly, as I pulled the carpet you can see how the dealer put the condensation drain tube through the floor pan! Amaazingly, not rust...but once again, Texas climate no doubt helped that.

Attachments

• apache.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 184
Wow, sorry I missed this Flashback. I don't get to go on here as often as I used to... Great reference pic now I will know one when I see it, you are right it does look like the ones I have seen in old Fords... How is your progress on the wagon?

Going well. Radiator re-cored, front seat re-done, brakes fixed, tuned up, some mild bodywork to rear quarters and new gas tank. Will have it enough completed to spring on my family for Xmas as originally planned. I'll post some photos soon.

-
Back