Any factory 4 speed wagons out there?

-

Rocky65

Reaction score
Hey early a body folks, I have a '65 Dart wagon that came with a 273 4 spd set up. (yes I checked the fender tag) A little rusty but not bad, can't wait to get started on this car... I will post some pics soon. Anyone else seen a 63-65 with a 4 spd? Even with a /6? I have a buddy that has owned a /6 4spd convertible Valiant (64 I think) but I haven't seen any other wagons... I looked at Galens white book but it is pretty vague on the numbers/breakdown of engine trans combos... Not looking to sell the car, don't really care about the rarity of it but it is cool to me 'cause I'm a 4 spd freak... any info is appreciated, pics too! :-D

although not an a body i remember seeing not too long ago a 65 or 66 chrysler town and country wagon with a factory 4 spped. it was 1 of 4 made l4 speeds made and was a registered car.

Not yet. I would love a 4sd set up for my wagon (64'). maybe I can find the parts and make the swap. Auto is starting to act funny anyways.

10 years ago I bought a 65 Dart 270 wagon to Sweden. Came from the factory with following options;
273x2
4 speed w/Hurst shifter
Radio
Winddeflectors
roof racket
Power steering
A/C

It was so unusual but so rusty. When I started to restore it I found out that the roof was almost lose from the car!!!! I spent a bunch of money but gave up after a year.

Years ago, at least 35 my dad's buddy had a 64 Dart Wagon 273/4spd..
They just kept patching the quarters..... He finally donated it to the local fire department to use for practice...Yep they torched it!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Not yet. I would love a 4sd set up for my wagon (64'). maybe I can find the parts and make the swap. Auto is starting to act funny anyways.

I have a trunion 4spd and bell housing from a 64 Dart /6 if you're looking..
no shifter

PM me

Bob

Ahhh! They torched it!! Oh the horror!! Thanks for replying folks... Yep, I have seen a C body 4spd years ago also. Mine is similar to the one 65dartcharger describes above. It is a 270 also, but no ps and no a/c... the roof rack was there but is long gone, I may run this car in pure stock. coolbreeze you should make the swap, it's a blast!

Pics

!BU,Fmd!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmU)7+BKNWzH2iVw~~_3.jpg

!BU,Iv8gB2k~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmbku,BKNW+vYzsw~~_3.jpg

!BU,JFV!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKiYEjlLmep38BKN(BGsO4!~~_3.jpg

Bill, thanks for sending this! That is a SWEET car, and A/C too! He says about 13 produced with 4 speed, I am not sure if that is just for '66, or just Plymouths etc... but I knew it had to be a low number. My Dart is no where near the condition of this one, but still worth doing I think... let me know if you find any other 4 spds...

In my white galen books, it says that in 66', 14 4 speed v8 270 trimmed dart wagons were produced. I wish mine was one of those.

Any body else have disc brakes on their wagon?

Finally! A picture of the floor shifter in a wagon. My wagon has one of these but with a black ball (see pic) and it hits the ash tray when in 1st. I think all I need is another stick from Hurst. Any ideas which one will be best in a 65 Dart Wagon. It has a bench now but I just got some buckets out of a 65 Valiant convertible at Fall Fling. So at least I can move the seat up as far as I want. (I am short thank you very much)

Also the shift pattern seems weird, Reverse is down and to the left. Is this a clue to where the tranny came from?

3917960.jpg

Finally! A picture of the floor shifter in a wagon. My wagon has one of these but with a black ball (see pic) and it hits the ash tray when in 1st. I think all I need is another stick from Hurst. Any ideas which one will be best in a 65 Dart Wagon. It has a bench now but I just got some buckets out of a 65 Valiant convertible at Fall Fling. So at least I can move the seat up as far as I want. (I am short thank you very much)

Also the shift pattern seems weird, Reverse is down and to the left. Is this a clue to where the tranny came from?

If its down then the lever on the trans is probably upside down.

the first shop I worked at had 64 4 door /6 4speed parts car. my valiant signet was a /6 4speed until I yanked it for a 360 and a 5speed

the first shop I worked at had 64 4 door /6 4speed parts car. my valiant signet was a /6 4speed until I yanked it for a 360 and a 5speed

Cool! Much more fun to drive now with the 5 speed I'm sure. I saw a /6 4spd convertible valiant, but have yet to see another factory 273 4 speed wagon. The metal work is going SLOW on this thing, but I will get it there one day...

Hey early a body folks, I have a '65 Dart wagon that came with a 273 4 spd set up. (yes I checked the fender tag) A little rusty but not bad, can't wait to get started on this car... I will post some pics soon. Anyone else seen a 63-65 with a 4 spd? Even with a /6? I have a buddy that has owned a /6 4spd convertible Valiant (64 I think) but I haven't seen any other wagons... I looked at Galens white book but it is pretty vague on the numbers/breakdown of engine trans combos... Not looking to sell the car, don't really care about the rarity of it but it is cool to me 'cause I'm a 4 spd freak... any info is appreciated, pics too! :-D

I have 99% of all the info. Send a copy of your fendertag and I'll decode it for you. Actually I had a 1965 270 wagon w/273/4speed and A/C! But it was to rusty.

Sorry guys I have been away from the site for a while...

Timbolia, nothing new. It is on the back burner as I am currently deployed and will be for some time... Thanks and I hope your wagon is coming along ok!

65dartcharger, I will definitely get in touch with you when I return home. No way to get the fendertag to you right now. Unfortunately I have discovered the back half of my wagon has much more rust than I thought, but I refuse to scrap this car... Wow, if mine only had A/C! What I love also is it was a red on red car, which it will be again, some day!

A friends dad ordered a 68 ply wagon with a 440 4speed 391 Dana for towing a camper.it had bucket seats without console.boy would I like to have that car now...

someone mentioned disc brakes on their early ( '63 - '66 ) "A" Body ... got any pics of your setup ?
Those pre-1967 disc brake master cylinders are obsolete ; I've never seen a '65 - '66 Dart or Valiant with factory-installed disc brakes . I know that they exist , and I'd love to see one !

someone mentioned disc brakes on their early ( '63 - '66 ) "A" Body ... got any pics of your setup ?
Those pre-1967 disc brake master cylinders are obsolete ; I've never seen a '65 - '66 Dart or Valiant with factory-installed disc brakes . I know that they exist , and I'd love to see one !

I believe that I was the one that mentioned it. Mine are factory according to my fender tag and window sticker. When I bought it the PO had changed it to a 73 style disc master cylinder.
I had always wondered how many wagons actually had the disc being that it was a rare option, maybe not as rare as a 4 speed though! That is the coolest option on a wagon! Rockys got a nice lil score.

Thanks redfastback, it is a long story but here is the short version:
I work in Ed Miller's shop when I have time (edmillerracing.com) he was 1967 World Super Stock champ (won it in a '65 A990 Plymouth, one of 11 4 spd models produced, beat Grumpy Jenkins in the final round) more about ed at his site... Anyhoot, Ed hollers at me, "Rocky, you interested in a '65 Dart wagon, it's a factory 273 4 speed" I say "yeah" but I'm thinkin, "someone put that in there, they didn't make no darn 4 spd wagons!" Went to look at it and was floored. Red on red factory 273 4 spd, bought it and a 440 as a package deal... Later Ed said he wished he would have bought it. Thank you Mr. Miller! WAY on the back burner right now unfortunately, since I am typing this from overseas... But, hopefully I can meet some of my FABO brothers at the NATS or Carlisle with the wagon one day!

Hey Rick! I am in Iraq, will not be home until the end of next year. Yep, Bob K and I are pretty tight, he and I are both real fond of the '64 Plymouths... My current '64 Plymouth Savoy project I bought from him... Ed and I went all the way to Aurora Indiana to get a '64, which he ended up with. I have heard about you and your Barracuda! Didn't you get one for your son also recently? I wanted a Barracuda but ended up with the '66 Valiant, still a lot of fun but there is something about that back window on the Cuda!

-
Back