Any gains adding 1.6 rockers to stock 273?

-
Small block Mopar pushrod angle is anything BUT optimal.
Any Chevy guy will tell you this. My die hard Chevy brother in law said it's the worse design ever.:soapbox:
He loves to look down his nose to Mopars.But for some reason he gets spanked all the time with his small block Chevy dragster.:icon_fU:

Sorry I got off track. Love the 67 Dart.Had 3 myself. I understand what you want to accomplish.
Nothing wrong with experimentation.Something I love to do.Yes the 273 is a small engine but who cares.
A perfect car to have fun and drive around . The 8 3/4 3.55 will be a big help. HAVE FUN !!!!

This would be my look with all the different advice I'm getting....drop in a 360 or 340 and have fun...sell the 273 to a less spirited driver...nice car btw...

nyquil_and_dayquil5238.jpg

I didn't think you were braggin. Brag all you want. lol All I am trying to get across is, you're lookin at a BIG expenditure for a SMALL gain and possibly NO gain. Hell, if you're dyin to spend 300 bucks and want a BIG bang fot the buck, put a little more with it and get a 150HP Nitrous plate shot.
Best advice all day there

I'd skip the 1.6 aftermarket rockers. You already have a bullet proof setup with the 67 solid lifter rocker system. We played with a 273 2 barrel engine for years as a test mule in my brothers 67 automatic trans Barracuda. Spend your money where it will give the best bang. Start with at least 3.23 gears in the rear. Second, get a 4 barrel intake and carb, anything from an original HP 273 and AFB to a Weiand intake and a good 340 TQ. 1967 DODGE DART Weiand 8007WND Weiand Action Plus Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing Third, change trans fluid and filter, get a 4.2 kick down lever BAND LEVER - A&A Transmissions , adjust the bands and bump up the pressure, add a part throttle kick down module 727 3-2 Kick Down Module (1966-69) - A&A Transmissions, get a 340 kick down linkage or a cable kick down system. Swap exhaust mufflers or get the 67 273 Charger 2.5 single exhaust 1965-66 Dodge Dart GT w/273 4 BBL Single Exhaust w/Resonator Eliminator Pipe or A-Body HiPo Exhaust System-(See option menu for applications . Last, get a cam for your car by talking honestly to a cam manufacturer, lifters, valve springs, and a double roller timing set. No problem using the stock heads or short block. 2 barrel pistons are usually around .020 below the deck and you should have closed chamber heads.

Spend your money where it will give the best bang.
Thank you for the helpful suggestions and links!

I have a line on 2 rear-end housings currently. So hopefully I will get one of them in the next 2 weeks.

I had purchased an older aluminum inkate, only to find it is actually for a poly motor, not an LA. But again I have info on 2 more stock cast iron ones, which I will likely get one of them.

Thanks to my day job as a race crew chief, I have contacts at APD (Advanced Product Design) and they are building a custom 600cfm carb for me. And the folks at Hughes Transmissions have offered to build a mild converter if I decide to change mine.

So thanks everyone for helping me set up a game plan!

I would upgrade the 7.25 rear before increasing any hp.
That is a given, particularly since the pinion bearing is going out of the current rear end! No point in rebuilding it since I can find a replacement 8-3/4 for about the same money!!

... I had purchased an older aluminum inkate, only to find it is actually for a poly motor, not an LA. But again I have info on 2 more stock cast iron ones, which I will likely get one of them...

Poly 4 barrel intakes are worth big money, especially in Aluminum.

If you're modding the engine whilst collecting parts for a future build, then at least don't buy garbage parts.

Can you state long term intentions with the car? Drag car? Ragged edge street/strip? Hot street? Daily driver?

At least then we can make suggestions on what to get.

If you're modding the engine whilst collecting parts for a future build, then at least don't buy garbage parts.

Can you state long term intentions with the car? Drag car? Ragged edge street/strip? Hot street? Daily driver?

At least then we can make suggestions on what to get.

I thought he was looking for a daily driver... See post #27

Last edited:
I think I mentioned several posts ago, that this is just a fun driver, not intending to "hot rod" it, at least for now. I am having too much fun just using it as a regular driver. I have a numbers matching 70 GTX 440/Auto that I will use when I need to feel a little more power.

I will be updating the front brakes to power disk for drivability, which in turn updates to 4.5 bolt pattern. No big deal, as the rear end is pretty worn out, so I will switch to 4.5 bolt pattern on rear as well. I have a set of 15x7 Rallye wheel and a few other sets of 15" wheels.

The car was damaged in 2005 Hurricane Katrina, and neglected after that. So I plan to get the drive train updated and drive the car until "1 day" when I decide to have some body work done.

20231225_145623.jpg

i love how dude is all: it's just a daily and i don't need a ton of power, i enjoy driving it but a little more pep would be cool.

so everybody immediately goes: 273 is trash, don't spend no money on that and get a 340/360, magnum or even a 318 is better.

because, yeah, spending 3~5 grand is the answer to: i like my car and i enjoy driving it but wish it has just a little more scoot.

And the folks at Hughes Transmissions have offered to build a mild converter if I decide to change mine.

67 and earlier converter is different from 68+ so having them build (or rebuild) your converter is the way to go in that you won't run into compatibility problems. mainly the crank register/snout of is the point of difference. but hughes knows what's up so you're in good hands.

i love how dude is all: it's just a daily and i don't need a ton of power, i enjoy driving it but a little more pep would be cool.

so everybody immediately goes: 273 is trash, don't spend no money on that and get a 340/360, magnum or even a 318 is better.

because, yeah, spending 3~5 grand is the answer to: i like my car and i enjoy driving it but wish it has just a little more scoot.
Happens every time. It always turns into a maximum horsepower war.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. But a few things don't line up with what the OP is saying so it turns into a controversy.

1. He's talking about rocker arms and the vast majority of us are saying it's the right part at the wrong time.

2. He talks about how he's a race team crew chief, but is then asking questions a typical dragster crew chief wouldn't be asking. Those two things don't align well I'm sorry to say. I'm alright to give benefit of the doubt but to me it's odd.

3. Most of the opinions given are sound ones. Typical mods including cams intakes exhaust gears etc. I suggested a magnum engine because it's really a cheap way to build a peppy car for very little overall work and investment. I realized it's more than is likely gonna happen but it's all part of the spectrum of what I would consider "reasonable" suggestions.

Anyhow, that's how I see it.

67 and earlier converter is different from 68+ so having them build (or rebuild) your converter is the way to go in that you won't run into compatibility problems. mainly the crank register/snout of is the point of difference. but hughes knows what's up so you're in good hands.
Thanks for the heads up. When I last talked to Kevin at Hughes, he mentioned the differences. So it is something I will keep in mind when I get to that point.

It's been awhile I'm guessing about 18 years,Hughes built a converter for my 67 Dart.
Small register crank, 1971 904,3,000 stall.
It did it's job in 2 different Darts. As far as I know it still is as I sold the car 6 years ago.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. But a few things don't line up with what the OP is saying so it turns into a controversy.

1. He's talking about rocker arms and the vast majority of us are saying it's the right part at the wrong time.

2. He talks about how he's a race team crew chief, but is then asking questions a typical dragster crew chief wouldn't be asking. Those two things don't align well I'm sorry to say. I'm alright to give benefit of the doubt but to me it's odd.

3. Most of the opinions given are sound ones. Typical mods including cams intakes exhaust gears etc. I suggested a magnum engine because it's really a cheap way to build a peppy car for very little overall work and investment. I realized it's more than is likely gonna happen but it's all part of the spectrum of what I would consider "reasonable" suggestions.

Anyhow, that's how I see it.
Lol... Just curious, exactly what question did I ask that was un-crew chief like? The only question I asked was about adding 1.6 rockers to a stock cam/heads. On paper, the lift gain would be similar to a "Mild" cam swap without having to pull the front of the motor off. I stated I have no experience with the 273 motor, and was hoping to gain insight from folks who had hands-on experience with the 273.

I got the information I was looking for, plus a lot of speculation of what I "should" do. I never asked what I should do, only asked if anyone had tried the 1.6 rockers. Using the knowledge of members on this board, I did not have to do trial and error to find the pushrod clearance on that motor (which i am unfamiliar with) could be a minor issue with the increased rocker ratio.

My full time salaried position is Crew Chief for Laris Motorsports Insurance Racing. I never said I was an engine builder.

Our Laris Motorsports Insurance Racing team entered 5 NHRA National events in 2023. We had a car in the FINAL at all 5 of these races. So I would think my abilities to work as a crew chief speak for themselves. The race team has 1 employee. My drivers are in the shop only a few times per year, and fly to the races.

A fresh motor as shipped to the shop vs a motor after I have it ready to run.

20231226_081517.jpg

20231226_081535.jpg

Lol... Just curious, exactly what question did I ask that was un-crew chief like? The only question I asked was about adding 1.6 rockers to a stock cam/heads. On paper, the lift gain would be similar to a "Mild" cam swap without having to pull the front of the motor off. I stated I have no experience with the 273 motor, and was hoping to gain insight from folks who had hands-on experience with the 273.

I got the information I was looking for, plus a lot of speculation of what I "should" do. I never asked what I should do, only asked if anyone had tried the 1.6 rockers. Using the knowledge of members on this board, I did not have to do trial and error to find the pushrod clearance on that motor (which i am unfamiliar with) could be a minor issue with the increased rocker ratio.

My full time salaried position is Crew Chief for Laris Motorsports Insurance Racing. I never said I was an engine builder.

Our Laris Motorsports Insurance Racing team entered 5 NHRA National events in 2023. We had a car in the FINAL at all 5 of these races. So I would think my abilities to work as a crew chief speak for themselves. The race team has 1 employee. My drivers are in the shop only a few times per year, and fly to the races.

View attachment 1716183190

View attachment 1716183192
Yep, it happens easily. A simple question get's asked, opinions for
or against get posted, and often things get out of hand. Your question was answered in the first couple posts.

View attachment 1716183190

View attachment 1716183192
Hey man, respect where it's due. That stuff looks truly legit.

However it begs the question. If you're orchestrating this level of organization, why do you need advice on modifying a street motor?

It's akin to a 5 star chef asking questions about how to make a PB&J sandwich. It's confusing is all.

Again, props on the race team stuff. That's really cool. Do you have any content you can share?

-
Back